Preview AFLW 2017 R3 - vs Brisbane (@ Brisbane) Game Day starts #20 ON NOW

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its funny I am a bit the same despite playing and coaching netball most of my life. Don't think I will be following or going to games.
Women's footy was what I was looking forward to and I agree based on watching last weeks game, not sure how much thought/effort the Club has put in it.
I am not into netball either, if collingwood invested in an NBL team I would probably follow it and go to games

I don't blame Eddie, it is a bit more that. Have you been to a game?
Twas a joke Maggie, hence hiding behind the tree.:D

No I haven't been to a game. If i still lived in Melb I definitely would've.

Hope was dominant in the all-stars game. Looks a totally different person.

Hope had Vescio as a foil in the all stars game. Standard of delivery to her was probably a little better.

Moana Hope is not a marque player. She dosent get to contests, and if she does, which is rarely, she is beaten easily. D'Arcy is the marque player in the ladies team. Her marking is good, she wins one on ones and is a class above anyother player on the ladies list.
I hope next year the marque contract is taken off Hope and given to D'Arcy.

Moana Hope is not a marque player. She dosent get to contests, and if she does, which is rarely, she is beaten easily. D'Arcy is the marque player in the ladies team. Her marking is good, she wins one on ones and is a class above anyother player on the ladies list.
I hope next year the marque contract is taken off Hope and given to D'Arcy.
A big part of the marque signings is a promotional aspect, while Hope hasn't yet had the space or delivery to dominate games her value promoting the game can't be questioned. I do agree though that D'Arcy has been the much better player on the field.

King been good in the Ruck but No Existent around the Ground

I think this is the marquee player we stuffed up with. We should have either picked a midfielder or key forward.

A good midfielder can still be useful without a gun ruck, just look at Swan and Pendlebury pre Jolly and Buckley under Fraser. A gun ruck is useles without mids around him or her in this case. A second key forward is self explanatory Hope needs some ****ing support. Hope whilst she's not performing atm she is still a key forward and history shows you need one to be successful and her record previously speaks for herself.

Twas a joke Maggie, hence hiding behind the tree.:D

No I haven't been to a game. If i still lived in Melb I definitely would've.
I am just a bit hesitant when Eddie's name comes up.:$
Better wait until next season, hopefully all the cobwebs have been swept away.

A big part of the marque signings is a promotional aspect, while Hope hasn't yet had the space or delivery to dominate games her value promoting the game can't be questioned. I do agree though that D'Arcy has been the much better player on the field.

I suspect Mo will head back to Whitten Oval to play in front of Susan Alberti in the not-too-distant future...

I suspect Mo will head back to Whitten Oval to play in front of Susan Alberti in the not-too-distant future...

What we seen so far in the Black and White. She won't be Missed Much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TD, go carefully with this. My understanding is that all the girls work outside of footy, probably full time, and some in demanding jobs. Then they train and sit in on meetings on top of their work.

I am not blaming our girls and nor am I disappointed in the girls. Its the club I'm questioning here, and the effort they have gone to (or not) to make sure these girls have every opportunity to shine. Some of them are doing really hard yards, and I'm not critical of them.

It is what the VFL was that it is a Part-Time Job. All the Girls are not just ours.

So you say the Club is not doing anything Extra to get the Best out of the Girls?

What we seen so far in the Black and White. She won't be Missed Much
Very harsh. She is the face of our team and is probably a key reason in why 25000 showed up at Ikon Park two weeks ago. I maintain if she had cleaner entries she would be performing much better

Very harsh. She is the face of our team and is probably a key reason in why 25000 showed up at Ikon Park two weeks ago. I maintain if she had cleaner entries she would be performing much better

So the Same Problem Cloke had at the Club?

That was before the season started, but since the first game Hope has been practically unsighted in media and promotions.

Wouldn't be hard to imagine that the club have taken that pressure off her to let her focus on her game.

That was before the season started, but since the first game Hope has been practically unsighted in media and promotions.

Wouldn't be hard to imagine that the club have taken that pressure off her to let her focus on her game.

Well with her Lack of OutPut. I would not be having her Parade in front of the Media like in the Pre-Season

Its funny that the 3 sides that were predicted to be right in contention this year Freo, Bulldogs, and Collingwood have 1 win between us after three weeks.
While we are sitting 8th (and last) a win next week could see us rocket up the ladder to (at least) 6th spot, joining our opponents the Western Bulldogs on 4 points. We would also need Fremantle and GWS to lose, which on form would be likely. The draw between those sides yesterday was perhaps a decent result for Collingwood, and at least gives us a chance still of moving up the ladder a bit. If we could just win a game!!

I'm not sure how many folks here are seriously into statistical stuff, let alone women's football statistical stuff, but the outstanding Australian Football website is covering the new competition very nicely, which I'm really happy to see:-

http://australianfootball.com/seasons/season/australian+football+league/138/women%27s+premiership+season/245/289/2017

No wonder we suck. Our 2 marquee signings may as well be parking cones.
I think Moana Hope has been found out in this competition. Unfortunately for Moana, she is not a great athlete, she is basically a pure footballer. In this competition, l admire the athleticism of some of these women first and the football ability second. Alot of them have come from other sports, eg netball, basketball, soccer or athletics, and have only being playing footy for a short period. Moana is at times playing on these types, and she is getting beaten easily by these girls, not on ability, but by athleticism. Unfortunately for us we have picked 2 marquee signings, King as well, that are not overly athletic. l think we have picked the wrong type of players, compared to other marquee signings.

Last edited:
I think Moana Hope has been found out in this competition. Unfortunately for Moana, she is not a great athlete, she is basically a pure footballer. In this competition, l admire the athleticism of some of these women first and the football ability second. Alot of them have come from other sports, eg netball, basketball, soccer or athletics, and have only being playing footy for a short period. Moana is at times playing on these types, and she is getting beaten easily by these girls, not on ability, but by athleticism. Unfortunately for us we have picked 2 marqee signings, King as well, that are not overly athletic. l think we have picked the wrong type of players, compared to other marqee signings.

To be fair, marquee signings were made before we even had a coaching panel (thus even a game plan), before it was known that AFLW would be 16 a side, before the size of the bench was known, before even the size of the footy was known.

The marquee signings were pretty much a lottery.

IMHO, we've done well out of Mo Hope. She's made a wonderful contribution towards building the profile of AFLW amongst the Collingwood supporter base and competition wide. Yeah, she's failed to meet expectations this year, but it's due in part to her that people have an interest and have expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back