AFL-Victoria Community Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I have started this thread due to a topic that arose in the Div 1 thread and think this may need its own area for people in all divisions to read and have an opinion.

Basically it came up that the Eastern Football League recently withdrew from the concept due to costs, when someone posted that it cost them $71k I was shocked and wanted to investigate.

I looked at the NFNL annual reports online (http://nfnl.org.au/annual-reports/)

I went to the contents page and searched the documents, the first thing I noticed was the NFNL reports say they have financial reports but most of them are not in the report?

2018 contents says on page 44 – incorrect not there
2017 on page 45 – incorrect not there
2016 not in contents and nothing there
2015 on page 46 – incorrect not there
2014 pm page 49 – incorrect not there
2012 not in contents and not in report

The few that I found with financial reports I noticed that somehow the NFNL created income on rep games but that did not match or come close to meeting expenditure (I am unsure how they created income).

2013 representative football income $16k, expenditure $35k
2011 representative football income $20k, expenditure $30k

I am sorry but with Clubs in debt, Clubs owing the NFNL money, Clubs with hard working volunteering doing all they can to stay afloat I think it’s time this concept is reconsidered as a viable option. So, I went through the AFL Victoria website of all the league’s first off here is a the current rankings that shows 30 leagues participate (in current ranking order as at this week):

1. Northern FNL
2. MPNFL
3. Geelong FNL
4. Goulburn Valley FL
5. Ovens & Murray FL
6. Hampden FNL
7. Western Region FL
8. Bendigo FNL
9. Ballarat FNL
10. Central Murray FNL
11. AFL Outer East
12. Wimmera FNL
13. Gippsland FNL
14. Bellarine FNL
15. Murray FNL
16. Heathcote DFNL
17. Geelong DFL
18. Riddell DFL
19. Sunraysia FL
20. North Central FL
21. Southern FNL
22. West Gippsland FL
23. CHFL
24. Colac DFNL
25. Ellinbank DFNL
26. Horsham DFL
27. MCDFNL
28. Kyabram DFNL
29. Loddon Valley FL
30. Golden Rivers FL

This leave 17 Leagues that do not compete them being:

Eastern FL
Essendon Districts FL
VAFA
Alberton FNL
FN East Gippsland
Mid Gippsland FNL
North Gippsland FNL
Omeo Districts FL
Picola District FL
Ovens and King FNL
Tallangatta District FL
Upper Murry FNL
Nepean FNL
Milawa FL
Mininera District FL
South West District FNL
Warrnambool and District FNL

Should Clubs be consulted to vote on such a huge expenditure, especially when for many years the Annual Report cannot inform us of what we spend. Honestly, I gave up searching for how long each league used to play in the championships (if they did) but clearly, they made a financial decision (I expect) not to do it.

Finally, leaving will allow us to get rid of the bye always a few weeks prior to Queens Birthday bye. I am not saying players and Clubs do not deserve a bye, but it can be strategically placed better in the fixtures, maybe split rounds? maybe split divisions?

Interested in other peoples thoughts.

What a disgrace. Absolute waste of time. All the good leagues have pulled out now.

I have started this thread due to a topic that arose in the Div 1 thread and think this may need its own area for people in all divisions to read and have an opinion.

Basically it came up that the Eastern Football League recently withdrew from the concept due to costs, when someone posted that it cost them $71k I was shocked and wanted to investigate.

I looked at the NFNL annual reports online (http://nfnl.org.au/annual-reports/)

I went to the contents page and searched the documents, the first thing I noticed was the NFNL reports say they have financial reports but most of them are not in the report?

2018 contents says on page 44 – incorrect not there
2017 on page 45 – incorrect not there
2016 not in contents and nothing there
2015 on page 46 – incorrect not there
2014 pm page 49 – incorrect not there
2012 not in contents and not in report

The few that I found with financial reports I noticed that somehow the NFNL created income on rep games but that did not match or come close to meeting expenditure (I am unsure how they created income).

2013 representative football income $16k, expenditure $35k
2011 representative football income $20k, expenditure $30k

I am sorry but with Clubs in debt, Clubs owing the NFNL money, Clubs with hard working volunteering doing all they can to stay afloat I think it’s time this concept is reconsidered as a viable option. So, I went through the AFL Victoria website of all the league’s first off here is a the current rankings that shows 30 leagues participate (in current ranking order as at this week):

1. Northern FNL
2. MPNFL
3. Geelong FNL
4. Goulburn Valley FL
5. Ovens & Murray FL
6. Hampden FNL
7. Western Region FL
8. Bendigo FNL
9. Ballarat FNL
10. Central Murray FNL
11. AFL Outer East
12. Wimmera FNL
13. Gippsland FNL
14. Bellarine FNL
15. Murray FNL
16. Heathcote DFNL
17. Geelong DFL
18. Riddell DFL
19. Sunraysia FL
20. North Central FL
21. Southern FNL
22. West Gippsland FL
23. CHFL
24. Colac DFNL
25. Ellinbank DFNL
26. Horsham DFL
27. MCDFNL
28. Kyabram DFNL
29. Loddon Valley FL
30. Golden Rivers FL

This leave 17 Leagues that do not compete them being:

Eastern FL
Essendon Districts FL
VAFA
Alberton FNL
FN East Gippsland
Mid Gippsland FNL
North Gippsland FNL
Omeo Districts FL
Picola District FL
Ovens and King FNL
Tallangatta District FL
Upper Murry FNL
Nepean FNL
Milawa FL
Mininera District FL
South West District FNL
Warrnambool and District FNL

Should Clubs be consulted to vote on such a huge expenditure, especially when for many years the Annual Report cannot inform us of what we spend. Honestly, I gave up searching for how long each league used to play in the championships (if they did) but clearly, they made a financial decision (I expect) not to do it.

Finally, leaving will allow us to get rid of the bye always a few weeks prior to Queens Birthday bye. I am not saying players and Clubs do not deserve a bye, but it can be strategically placed better in the fixtures, maybe split rounds? maybe split divisions?

Interested in other peoples thoughts.

Would this have included all interleague/rep games including juniors? Can only assume that jackets/polos etc may have been made available for purchase?

I also read the EFL annual report that was posted and was surprised they had cash holdings of just under 1.5 million plus debtors and property to the value of over 700k. Anybody have an idea how the NFNL balance sheet stacks up? I assume the financials are sent to all clubs.

Would this have included all interleague/rep games including juniors? Can only assume that jackets/polos etc may have been made available for purchase?

I also read the EFL annual report that was posted and was surprised they had cash holdings of just under 1.5 million plus debtors and property to the value of over 700k. Anybody have an idea how the NFNL balance sheet stacks up? I assume the financials are sent to all clubs.

Yep maybe they do sell some apparel but to who? I would have thought players get kitted out for free?

They may send them to Clubs but I am more concerned as to why they are not in the Annual Reports when the contents say they are. Should be open and transparent like other years and competitions.

Sounds like the DVFL days of financial reporting.
You could never get a receipt for anything back in the 1990s …

I would hate to think so and have no doubt there is check and balances in place but until they are public I suppose that line of thinking will be around. We got seriously burnt years ago and need to ensure those days are well gone, especially as I said there is a lot of Clubs out there scrapeing the barrel to survive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back