Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Delist Group for me atm would be:

Tex Wanganeen
K.Baldwin
J.Hunter
Weideman
Menzie (If we got Stengle or Ainsworth)

May be worth keeping one of those talls, as it may be one too many. Probably need to keep 1 of them really or find another

Shiel, Setterfield, Hind, Kelly, Goldstein and Heppell - 1 Year

Some Moneyball picks like last year (All FAs)
Tim Membrey - An upgrade on all of Baldwin,Hunter and Weideman. But probably a silly move for him
Harry Morrison - If we Lose a Shiel or Setterfield on the cheap is an option

But maybe best to save the pennies for years to come 2025;
LDU
Brent Daniels
Ed Richards
Bontempelli
Maynard
No chance Shiel stays another year.

So you suggest just letting him rot away in the 2s for the rest of the year and then delist him

Instead of adding flexability to our squad?

Id rather try see if he can offer us something elsewhere where we lack and give us better knowledge on what to do with him end of this year and the rest if the squad
A good list has guys like Setterfield ready to go in the VFL to ensure we have AFL standard cover in case of injuries.

Some people call it 'depth'

I hope we don't get anywhere near Zurhaar, absolute spud.
I hope we do not go near him not because he is a spud but because he is another medium / tall like Langford and Stringer. He can play IMO but I just do not think he is the forward we need.

I hope we do not go near him not because he is a spud but because he is another medium / tall like Langford and Stringer. He can play IMO but I just do not think he is the forward we need.
I was super keen on Zurhaar couple of years ago when we apparently expressed interest.

We needed that sized forward then, agree not now.

But why I really wanted him for was to add some mongrell to our (then) insipid team. Looks like we’ve really picked that up this year… to such a degree it’s a strength.

A good list has guys like Setterfield ready to go in the VFL to ensure we have AFL standard cover in case of injuries.

Some people call it 'depth'
Yeh i guess what im saying is i struggle to see him being okay with being extended depth down the queue. Maybe he gets enough of a run in the 2nd half of the season and backs himself in, but even then im prefering Tsatas and Hobbs over him next year as the depth (Im confident in Hobbs and Tsatas is a top 5 pick whos starting to get 30s at ease and will be in year 3)

Zerrett
Parish
Durham
Stringer with an extra tall
Caldwell
Perkins
Hobbs
Tsatas
Shiel*

Are all ahead of him cor the CBA role next year

ATM were only operating with 6 of the 9

We will no doubt add mid types in the 2024 draft pending our draft position, but id say very likely a midfield type. Theyre likely ahead in 2026

I think its best for us and him to warm up that wing role for him aswell. If it doesnt work, we lose nothing. If it does it gives us far better knowledge with our list

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind he replaces Stringer when Stringer's done, but at the moment he looks like he has another year in him. And even then I'm keen to see Caddy next year start to push his way in.

Delist

Hunter
Weideman
Wanganeen

Trade

Shiel (Would like to keep him but he'll want to go somewhere he's getting regular games)

I'll fight anyone who says delist Baldwin.
I’m not even sure anyone would take Shiel. His footskills are so bad, he’s a complete liability

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not even sure anyone would take Shiel. His footskills are so bad, he’s a complete liability

This is a meme. Not really true.

His bad kicks are bad, and we remember them, but he's mostly the same as any inside/outside midfielder.

North should really offer him a few years, they need a mature body and he's a known hard worker on the training track.

I'd be looking at trading Hayes. He, Laverde and Reid are all good enough to be best 22 in a decent team but all miss out on our best 22. McKay and Ridley are both young so it's not like Hayes is just going to hang around and patiently wait.

Under this scenario, it might be worth keeping Baldwin and Weideman as break glass in emergency types - they wouldn't yield anything in draft capital anyway.

I'd be looking at trading Hayes. He, Laverde and Reid are all good enough to be best 22 in a decent team but all miss out on our best 22. McKay and Ridley are both young so it's not like Hayes is just going to hang around and patiently wait.

Under this scenario, it might be worth keeping Baldwin and Weideman as break glass in emergency types - they wouldn't yield anything in draft capital anyway.

Hayes is extremely young for a KPP, has a good frame, is showing decent form, and hasn't had (fingers crossed) any particular injury issues.

I'd rather trade or delist all of Laverde, Baldwin and Weideman than Hayes atm.

His bad kicks are bad, and we remember them, but he's mostly the same as any inside/outside midfielder.

North should really offer him a few years, they need a mature body and he's a known hard worker on the training track.
Don't be fooled by "kicking efficiency". His bad kicks stick in the mind because they are shockers, and his "good" kicks are lobs that go 40m and to the wrong side of a contest.

We shouldn't "trade Hayes" but he'd be well within his rights if he got a good offer to be starting 22 somewhere (eg: a North-type) for good money to request one.

And people who hit back with "If that's the kind of attitude he has then we don't want him anyway/he's not cut out with it" are just off the mark with the current times. We've been fortunate enough that we haven't really had any talented youngster ask out early in their career for a while. We've certainly taken advantage of it before (eg: Caldwell).

It's the modern system. Player movement is at an all-time high, and only going to continue to grow.

This isn't about a "He should be playing over Laverde" situation, do we change a winning team etc.. But if Hayes had a 5-year, mean-salary offer from North. He'd be silly not to - he'd see McKay just signed a long-term deal, obviously Ridley more a 3rd tall, but then early days it would seem that Reid is ahead in the pecking order. It'd simply be logical for a guy trying to form a career.

Same with Bryan. If a club, any club, came to him with a longer-term offer and the promise of at least starting in the best 23 round 1 next year... zero begruding of him taking that. I personally thought he probably should've/would've last off-season.

Did you watch him on Saturday?

That's right Casey. If Hayes is perfectly content to be biding his time waiting for two or more injuries then good luck to him and we can't force him out of his contract. But there's a high likelihood that he would move to play AFL so the question then becomes trying to get something decent for him which we can then use to cover positions we have no depth in. Right now we've been extremely lucky that all of Redman, Martin and McGrath have been available practically every week because we have virtually nothing to replace any of them. There's a lot to like about Kelly but if rebounding out of D50 were up to him our forwards would suffer from hypothermia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back