AFL star’s anti-vax views cost him friendship

Remove this Banner Ad

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:
Yes, relatively.

It's meant businesses can function to a degree, sports comps can push on, people can do sh*t.
It's not 'normal' as we used to know it. And it won't be until the virus mutates further.

But it's normal enough to be able to function to a sustainable point.

'Sustainable'? You mean as in, you're happy enough with your lot, **** the small business owners in hospitality, fitness, etc?

And you think you're a moral person too, no doubt.

'Sustainable'? You mean as in, you're happy enough with your lot, **** the small business owners in hospitality, fitness, etc?

Strip the context and willfully misrepresent what a person is saying to lay an appropriate foundation for moralising them? Nice job.

BTW, 95% of adults vaccinated in Australia. You've lost.

I'm not sure what you mean?

I know a few Gym owners, and they're back up and running.

The small business owners I know, ranging from construction to hospitality are all up and running too.

Without the vaccine, they would all be screwed still.

The only ones that I know that aren't up and running again, are those in the travel industry.

How many of them are boosted?

Before long, unboosted will = 'unvaccinated'.

You do realise this, right?
Before long we will likely require shots every year or so.

Like with influenza.

This is not some prediction of a dystopian future. People need to get over it and stop listening to the nutters on YouTube.

Before long we will likely require shots every year or so.

Like with influenza.

This is not some prediction of a dystopian future. People need to get over it and stop listening to the nutters on YouTube.
Everyone gets the flu shot do they?

Or perhaps every few months, which I'm sure you would be happy with :thumbsu:
Accepting that there is a pandemic that needs a public health response isn't "being happy with it".

It's being a reasonable adult.

Because the government would still be imposing restrictions on them?

?

I know two small business owners who who were forced to close and went broke before COVID, due to staff calling in sick and/or not showing up.

This was pre-COVID.

Sickies cost the economy over $6b in 2018.

For argument's sake, let's pretend that COVID is just a flu.
This fantasy that the world can just roll on as normal with every single person catching the flu every couple of months is hilarious.

Try running a small business, or even a big business, with half your workforce calling in sick every day.

Accepting that there is a pandemic that needs a public health response isn't "being happy with it".

It's being a reasonable adult.
A 'reasonable adult' is somebody who does whatever daddy government tells them?

Even when it means removing civil liberties and covering children in masks for two years (with no end in sight)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is your argument here?

That the government's restrictions on business over the last two years have somehow helped small business?

joe-biden.gif
No.

My argument is that without the vaccine, COVID would have screwed businesses.

Not every 4-6 months they don't.
You know that before vaccination was discovered, nobody had been vaccinated? WHat did they think of the earth-shaking idea of an annual influenza vaccine that was based on statistical analysis of observed influenza strains?

Not every 4-6 months they don't.
So has this now moved to a 'we demand a more effective Vax' argument?

I thought the main issue was the safety of it?

There have been far, far more effective vaccines and treatments developed in labs - but they're not safe.

Isn't that what people have been crying about? That safety hasn't been taken seriously enough??

I'm losing track of what the actual 'case against' even is these days.

You know that before vaccination was discovered, nobody had been vaccinated? WHat did they think of the earth-shaking idea of an annual influenza vaccine that was based on statistical analysis of observed influenza strains?

Yes and influenza has been a deadly disease for well over a thousand years.
I certainly haven't had my flu shot for many, many, many years and as we are seeing with covid, it will simply become another yearly strain of the flu we will have to manage.

As for boosters and more booster shots, one does wonder what is happening to the natural immune system as time goes by.

There have been far, far more effective vaccines and treatments developed in labs - but they're not safe.

Isn't that what people have been crying about? That safety hasn't been taken seriously enough??

I don't really care for anything you post on here. Go to work Doc.

Anti-vaxxers are now labelling themselves 'vaccine hesitant' but whenever a reason for their hesitancy is challenged successfully, they shift the goalposts.

First it was experimental technology, then when trials were successful they needed real world data. Then when billions were administered with great success they claimed 'traditional' ones like Novavax were better. Then when it gets approved they will cite it's known side effects. Then when the side effects compared to the benefits are shown to be insignificant they will claim COVID is now endemic and their immune response is better. Then when studies and real world data show that vaccination is far preferable to actually getting it they will go onto something else to put off getting a jab.

Make no mistake, they are anti-vaxxers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back