AFL dumps Qantas and goes with Virgin Blue

Remove this Banner Ad

do ok? If your any taller than 6' your knees hit the seat in front, and thats before the person in front puts their seat back (though virgin seats only go back about 2cm anyway)

I'm 6'1 and 94kgs and my knees dont hit the seat in front of me. Not the most comfortable seat but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be

Damn, there goes the A380 flyover on grand final day. I'll suppose we'll have to make to with a 737 from now on.

Come on, this is Richard Branson we are talking about.

He will land that spaceship galactic thing in the middle of the G after a flight into space. :D

I can just imagine the scenes if the AFL signed with Tiger, on that TV show Airways.

Check in clerk to footy team: Sorry lads, you are 34 seconds late for check in. Tiger Airways regulations state you must check in at least 45 minutes before the flight, etc etc.

But don't worry, we can put you on our next flight in 2 days time (which will most likely break down!!!).

In all seriousness, there must be reasons other then Qantas not wanting to sign on exclusively with the AFL. I'd imagine that Virgin are offering more money / a better deal. It would defy belief if the AFL expected Qantas (a national icon of Australia) to focus on the AFL only; imagine the outrage in NSW / QLD at the snub. Memo to Demetriou: You are not the only show on Australia's sporting landscape. I sincerely hope that there's more to this story other then the AFL wanting Qantas all to themselves.

I'll declare myself as a Qantas employee. Everything I post here is personal opinion.

It's an interesting decision.

I think Virgin have been gift-wrapped an amazing opportunity to really grow their new 'premium' airline model with this signing. Their aircraft will be reconfigured over the next 12-18 months (and yes, it does take a long time to refit aircraft). They'll need to address some of their scheduling and servicing to meet the demands of AFL, but all in all... yeah, amazing for them.

For Qantas? I speak for myself only but find it odd that the AFL would demand exclusivity when we're not in a position to provide it. We have binding contracts with ARU, NRL and FFA. The Wallabies and the Socceroos perform on a world stage, in many of the destinations we fly to. Qantas will survive without the AFL. It might be the biggest sport in this country, but the AFL accounts for a very small percentage of what we do.

For the AFL. It's a bullish move by a man who wants his own way. And he got what he wanted. Whether it's what the AFL needs is another thing.

So... Big win for Virgin. Big personal win for AD. Maybe break even for the AFL in the long run. And probably a yawn or two from Qantas. Seriously, when the dust settles, Qantas will just move on.

And to all the muppets banging on about Qantas safety... go leave comments on news.com.au about how terrible we are. 'The sky is falling! The sky is falling!' We love a good laugh at work.

I can just imagine the scenes if the AFL signed with Tiger, on that TV show Airways.

Check in clerk to footy team: Sorry lads, you are 34 seconds late for check in. Tiger Airways regulations state you must check in at least 45 minutes before the flight, etc etc.

But don't worry, we can put you on our next flight in 2 days time (which will most likely break down!!!).

In all seriousness, there must be reasons other then Qantas not wanting to sign on exclusively with the AFL. I'd imagine that Virgin are offering more money / a better deal. It would defy belief if the AFL expected Qantas (a national icon of Australia) to focus on the AFL only; imagine the outrage in NSW / QLD at the snub. Memo to Demetriou: You are not the only show on Australia's sporting landscape. I sincerely hope that there's more to this story other then the AFL wanting Qantas all to themselves.

I think it's more that Virgin offered exclusivity and the AFL asked Qantas to match it. Nothing wrong with that.

It's simply about the AFL getting the best deal. Why wouldn't they?

Suprised this mob were overlooked! :eek:

compass_nz.gif

And to all the muppets banging on about Qantas safety... go leave comments on news.com.au about how terrible we are. 'The sky is falling! The sky is falling!' We love a good laugh at work.

Agree! There was a Virgin emergency yesterday that barley rated a mention.

By the way - the deal is only for 3 years. A lot can happen in that period - I dare say that if Virgin don't provide what is required, the next contract will be more about the service, rather than the price.

Mentioning Tiger, Richmond wanted Tiger Airways as a sponsor but it was blocked. Could you imagine the Richmond club turning up late to a game because they flew with Tiger ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, what evidence is there that the AFL demanded exclusivity?

Qantas has released a statement that this is the reason the deal fell over.

If you need more evidence, blood samples, DNA swabs or whatever, probably best you e-mail AD instead of demanding proof from Bigfooty.

Qantas has released a statement that this is the reason the deal fell over.

If you need more evidence, blood samples, DNA swabs or whatever, probably best you e-mail AD instead of demanding proof from Bigfooty.

How would Qantas know what Virgin Blue tendered?

How would Qantas know what Virgin Blue tendered?

It's likely that Qantas were simply asked to match the offer.

I just can't see why this is even news. It's called competition - sponsors change all the time for various reasons. In this case it was most likely the AFL got a better deal that the incumbent couldn't match.

and Vlad doesnt care for the players welfare re this decision

Lol... check out Qantas' mishaps since they sold their engineering jobs overseas - http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/news/qantas-mishaps-since-2006/story-fn32891l-1225949509032

Personally, i'm 6'2 and have never had a problem with leg room on any Virgin flight. I also think their customer service is much better than Qantas - and in the end, i feel safer because i don't have the thought of the engines blowing up, or landing gear exploding.

Virgin is putting in a new business class section in their planes, as well as an extra cabin crew member just for that class. Virgin's new CEO, John Borghetti, is putting in place massive expansions within the company in many areas. The AFL is jumping in early and putting in place their own terms within the contract.

I'm happy of the AFL's move, and believe that it is best for the players welfare that this change has come ;)

do ok? If your any taller than 6' your knees hit the seat in front, and thats before the person in front puts their seat back (though virgin seats only go back about 2cm anyway)

What a load of crap... i'm 6'2 and my knees dont touch the seat in front, even when the seat in front goes back. :rolleyes:

A few facts for you all to see.

Below are the official measurements of the seats on a B737 800. 'Pitch' is the distance between the back of a seat, and the front of the seat behind.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qantas_Airways/Qantas_Airways_Boeing_737-800.php
Qantas--------pitch--width--seating
Business Class: 35.0" 20.0" 12 seats
Economy Class: 31.0" 17.0" 156 seats

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Virgin_Blue/Virgin_Blue_Boeing_737-800.php
Virgin------------pitch--width--seating
Prem. Econ. Class: 34.0" 17.0" 12 seats
Economy Class: 30-31.0" 17.0" 162 seats

In all seriousness, is this what alot of people on here are whinging about?? Most players would sit in economy, and there is pretty much no difference. As far as business class goes, 1 inch? And who's to say that when VB release their Business class, their seat pitch will be just as big, if not bigger?

The AFL now has an airline that solely promotes our sport, has better sevice (in my opinion), probably at a cheaper rate, has gorgeous cabin crew (also my opinion), but also has a much better safety record.

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN for the AFL

The AFL has to explain how and why they came to a decision that effects the players welfare and safety

Yes , to the AFLPA ,not to anyone else ,especially with the quality of journalism misleadingly not stating that premium economy has virtually the same legroom as business and VB is about to introduce new configurations.

I'm 6'1 and 94kgs and my knees dont hit the seat in front of me. Not the most comfortable seat but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be

Kinda depends how you are built. I'm six two but log legs short body and I suffer in any economy class flight except strangely tiger. Flew to vietnam a few years ago and I had room to spare.

Not allow teams hiring charter planes is both unprofessional and disadvantages teams like Freo and West Coast.

O'h wait the AVFL allowed 2 Vic teams to use charter planes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back