AFL Darling Downs

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly think Goondiwindi are the clear favorites for the flag at this stage. They’ve already beaten Uni, Warwick and Coolaroo, all three of those clubs will definitely play finals this year. To hard to get a read on Souths yet, we’ve played three teams that are doing it tough as well as the vastly improved Highfields, we’ll know more in a months time when everyone has played each other.

One game a blowout, two games pretty close & one game in what has to be a record for league / state. What is happening on the downs.

Some poor spelling & grammar there! Excuse that, was typed on the iphone....although..... on the other hand i was born in gundy !!!!
Well done ! A win is a win at the end of the day! Hope the suns get up and about from here on in.

QLDFOOTY some good fixtures this weekend, what’s your tips?

Well done ! A win is a win at the end of the day! Hope the suns get up and about from here on in.

QLDFOOTY some good fixtures this weekend, what’s your tips?

My thoughts are;

- Coolaroo to absolute thump Chinchilla in Chinchilla
- Goondiwindi to soar to another big victory against the Toowoomba Tigers
- Hard to pick a winner, South Burnett vs. Warwick, I think the Redback's should win this but a tough road-trip
- Not sure where the Bombers are at the moment and I think the reigning Premiers will be too strong for South Toowoomba. University in a close one.

Anyone else?

Tips for this weekend, looks like we have a top of the table clash absolutely mouthwatering 😍😍😍😍😍😍
We’re really looking forward to it, most enjoyable match of the season regardless of if we win or lose. Just hoping we can give them a decent run, should be a great game.

Bloody gundy at it again, Coolaroo and highfields get easy wins. Anyone know what happened in suns vs Warwick game ?

Bloody gundy at it again, Coolaroo and highfields get easy wins. Anyone know what happened in suns vs Warwick game ?
Yeah, unfortunately Chinchilla had to forfeit. FIFO workers make it very hard for them to field a team consistently.

Good luck trying to pick this years flag favourite on the Darling Downs..... here are my thoughts

- Coolaroo; the Grand Final has to be won at Rockville Park and the Roos' are showing signs of premiership years gone by. Minor hiccup on the weekend against the Cougars but if they can fix up their discipline and not slip into old habits when things are tough, they will be hard to beat.

-Goondiwindi; they are the form team of the competition and should be tied or if not flag favourites with/ahead of the Roos'. Though I question their ability to win away from Riddles Oval. Warwick touched them up at home, mind you Warwick are a 4-5 goal better team at home. I have it a tight race between the Hawks and the men in blue.

I think those two are the stand out performers and should play of in the Grand Final. Highfields have shown some good mid season form but I always believe that your best performances need to come towards the end of the the season. If they can hold this form line for another month without their young brigade tiring they will be a threat with the youthful list. Warwick, South Toowoomba and University, really unsure where these three sit but I guarantee they will be firing come the business end. Putting away wins at the moment is important and I think one of these three are going to miss out on a finals berth.

Warwick have the toughest draw over the next month, with USQ and then the Bombers. The next month will be important for these clubs, bank three to four wins in the next month and I feel you lock in a finals position......

Thoughts anyone......?

Good luck trying to pick this years flag favourite on the Darling Downs..... here are my thoughts

- Coolaroo; the Grand Final has to be won at Rockville Park and the Roos' are showing signs of premiership years gone by. Minor hiccup on the weekend against the Cougars but if they can fix up their discipline and not slip into old habits when things are tough, they will be hard to beat.

-Goondiwindi; they are the form team of the competition and should be tied or if not flag favourites with/ahead of the Roos'. Though I question their ability to win away from Riddles Oval. Warwick touched them up at home, mind you Warwick are a 4-5 goal better team at home. I have it a tight race between the Hawks and the men in blue.

I think those two are the stand out performers and should play of in the Grand Final. Highfields have shown some good mid season form but I always believe that your best performances need to come towards the end of the the season. If they can hold this form line for another month without their young brigade tiring they will be a threat with the youthful list. Warwick, South Toowoomba and University, really unsure where these three sit but I guarantee they will be firing come the business end. Putting away wins at the moment is important and I think one of these three are going to miss out on a finals berth.

Warwick have the toughest draw over the next month, with USQ and then the Bombers. The next month will be important for these clubs, bank three to four wins in the next month and I feel you lock in a finals position......

Thoughts anyone......?
I agree, Goondiwindi and Coolaroo have been the best two teams so far this season, it’s safe to say that they’ll both be playing finals. Picking the other three finalists is more difficult, four teams are battling for three spots. I think Warwick will make it and University, Highfields and Souths will fight it out for the remaining two spots. I reckon we won’t know who makes it until the last round, should be some exciting footy played between now and then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a nephew who plays for Warwick, whats the update on the season ? Are they spiders (i think) still up and about?

Have a nephew who plays for Warwick, whats the update on the season ? Are they spiders (i think) still up and about?

The mighty Warwick Redback's are still firing in the Southern Downs, their men's team just got knocked out over the weekend in the Preliminary Final to a red hot Coolaroo. The Roos' are my premiership favourites at the moment.

Up from Melbourne for a break, love my local footy down there so on Saturday my wife went shopping and I went to watch the Tigers play Uni.

Impressed with the standard of footy, noticed no reserves so guessing Covid has had an affect on playing numbers?

Uni had some some very quick and skilled younger players and were too good for the Tigers.

Enjoyed the day, hope footy kicks on on the Downs.

Like everywhere hope local footy can regain a few teams and its playing numbers soon.

Up from Melbourne for a break, love my local footy down there so on Saturday my wife went shopping and I went to watch the Tigers play Uni.

Impressed with the standard of footy, noticed no reserves so guessing Covid has had an affect on playing numbers?

Uni had some some very quick and skilled younger players and were too good for the Tigers.

Enjoyed the day, hope footy kicks on on the Downs.

Like everywhere hope local footy can regain a few teams and its playing numbers soon.

No, the league has been going downhill for years. Was a time when there were good juniors numbers, reserves etc. The slide probably began about 7 years ago. They had a Juniors retention problem which got progressively worse as the years have gone by. This has resulted in a dwindling seniors comp as juniors arent going up, and older players retire.

Cant really assign any blame. Both the League and the AFLQ have done their bit to get more kids playing. There are a lot of programs on the DD. Pretty easy to make the DD rep sides that play in state carnivals. Probably also the easiest zone in which to make the Lions academy. There really is no obvious reason kids arent being retained.

They had an opportunity about 5 years ago to consolidate players from various clubs into a single Toowoomba entity and join the BJs, as it was obvious numbers were down and nothing the league or AFLQ did was retaining kids far past Auskick. Had a Toowoomba club entered the BJs at that point they would have fielded 2 teams in each age group,(12-14-16s) one from each age would have been in div1. It would have been something they could 'sell' to the public and sponsors. That opportunity is gone now. I think there is an u16s Toowoomba Crows now in the BJs, but they are in div4 or something. Too little, too late.

They currently play on a saturday, in direct competition with RL and soccer. They should change to Sundays.

Last edited:
Moving to Brisbane? The Redcliffe Tigers, approximately 30km north of the Brisbane CBD, are interested in speaking with anyone considering a change. We can assist with work and short term accommodation for the right recruit. Interested? Call Senior Coach Adam "Pugs" Holland on 0404 286 037.

Last edited:
Moving to Brisbane? The Redcliffe Tigers, approximately 30km north of the Brisbane CBD, are interested in speaking with anyone considering a change. We can assist with work and short term accommodation for the right recruit. Interested? Call Senior Coach Adam "Pugs" Holland on 0404 286 037.

We are looking for a Key Forward for anyone interested...

See above for the right person.

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back