AFL Canberra 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it was much better. Having fewer teams wasn't a problem as suggested earlier by droppunt. Having all 3 teams together every week more than made up for that.
They wouldn't necessarily have to share home games (although that would make it more attractive to the 3 and clubs) but would have to split evenly between div 3 & 4.
Thing is, then the droppunts will be complaining that the comps aren't even enough and that some clubs getting pumped every week in div 3 won't attract players so we should let all the regional teams in div 4. Then we are back to the uneven comps which end up with the 3 team clubs only playing together rarely.

This is not what I hear. Playerss, from a number of clubs, have told me they hope the regional teams are back next year. They are tired of playing the same teams and believe it or not actually enjoy the occasional trip away.

Could well be. I can only talk from my perspective and the few around the club I've spoken with. There could even be others within the club who would prefer it the other way.
Travelling its self isn't the problem though, its travelling with different teams to different locations that is the problem.

Could well be. I can only talk from my perspective and the few around the club I've spoken with. There could even be others within the club who would prefer it the other way.
Travelling its self isn't the problem though, its travelling with different teams to different locations that is the problem.

A quick look at last year's fixture for one community club though shows that only happened on 3 occasions last year? 15 other games where 3's/4's played at the same venue. Women's separate to the 3's on two occasions and never a time when all 3 were at different locations.

I'm not having a go and I understand that club's with more than one team want to be able to spend the day together, thats the idea of a club. What I can't get my head around is some of the current community clubs selling a story of teams being sent in all different directions every other week when for the most part that wasn't happening last year.

Which club is that mate?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In with Woden. I'm on the admin side so it's probably why I'm more against splitting the teams up where as some players might prefer more variety of opposition.

In with Woden. I'm on the admin side so it's probably why I'm more against splitting the teams up where as some players might prefer more variety of opposition.
The short memories are amazing. It wasn't so long ago that Woden were a single team dominating fourth grade and refusing to go up.

It takes time to build a successful club. Imagine if back then some flog from Belconnen had been demanding you play half your home games in Cooma (and force your missus and her mates to form a team as well) in order to not ruin their 'match day experience'.

Didn’t make it to the final today , and the site hasn’t updated , who won ? And what were your thoughts on the game if you were present ?

The short memories are amazing. It wasn't so long ago that Woden were a single team dominating fourth grade and refusing to go up.

It takes time to build a successful club. Imagine if back then some flog from Belconnen had been demanding you play half your home games in Cooma (and force your missus and her mates to form a team as well) in order to not ruin their 'match day experience'.

Hallstrom wasn't around the club in the 90's and 00's. He wouldn't be across the history of what, when and why.

I remember when Belconnen had 4 teams, 50 blokes left out each week and would have been part of the match day experience.

Wodens expansion into 2 teams was in some way driven by a long time AFL Canberra employee who publicly wished the Blues would fold as it would make his life easier. Thanks Gaz.

As for winning flags and not going up, this happened in 02/03/04, the Blues went up and stayed there ever since. We won one game in 05, about 2 in 06, and toughed it out.

But keep going Ego, this is good :cool: - PS - time to get the Owls back together.

Hallstrom wasn't around the club in the 90's and 00's. He wouldn't be across the history of what, when and why.

I remember when Belconnen had 4 teams, 50 blokes left out each week and would have been part of the match day experience.

Wodens expansion into 2 teams was in some way driven by a long time AFL Canberra employee who publicly wished the Blues would fold as it would make his life easier. Thanks Gaz.

As for winning flags and not going up, this happened in 02/03/04, the Blues went up and stayed there ever since. We won one game in 05, about 2 in 06, and toughed it out.

But keep going Ego, this is good :cool: - PS - time to get the Owls back together.

Shits getting real now

When are the Kingston Wolves making a come back? Surely Acton the former First Grade Powerhouse could reform as well 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t they all play last week though ?

I did hear that the Belco Regional coach refused to pick some of the 2s guys that got dropped so his guys didn't miss out, only picked 1 or 2 in the end. So a few 2s players missed out on a game all together. Could have been misinformed though.

I did hear that the Belco Regional coach refused to pick some of the 2s guys that got dropped so his guys didn't miss out, only picked 1 or 2 in the end. So a few 2s players missed out on a game all together. Could have been misinformed though.

A couple of injury’s in last weeks game will see that change this week , correct if I’m wrong but doesn’t the fact that all three grades are involved in finals mean that Belconnen will have a long list to choose from ?

Looked like belco had most of their usual side in for the semi, with maybe 1 or 2 handy supplements. Good on Belco for sticking to their side and still getting the job done. Expect Coota will win by a large margin this weekend but hope that's not the case.

Good luck to all involved

I think it’s going to be close , I think Belco have a stronger team than what they did when they were narrowly beaten by coota mid year

My understanding is that ALL Grand Finals were being streamed but you never know. On that note anyone know if the bar will be open at Queanbeyan on Saturday? I'm feeling thirsty already....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back