afl canberra 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Best to stick around and dominate 4th grade then I guess.
Yes as I’m sure all the other clubs that are getting belted by them each weekend will hang around too , it must be a good culture at Yass surely they can build into a third grade side , other clubs don’t have juniors and as for money I don’t know witch club has or hasn’t got cash . As for Murrumbateman I heard that they will most likely align to cootamundra .

Exactly
I could be wrong but i think they are talking about money behind the club to buy tape, Guernseys and equipment. Not player payments.

Exactly what I mean, money behind the club for ground hire, tape ect.

I'm not affiliated with Yass and don't really buy the if we go up we won't have a team excuse (in the short term)

I do however think that if they do go up and when the current players they have leave the club could then struggle.

Will be harder to attract new players if they are getting pumped each week.

Exactly

Exactly what I mean, money behind the club for ground hire, tape ect.

I'm not affiliated with Yass and don't really buy the if we go up we won't have a team excuse (in the short term)

I do however think that if they do go up and when the current players they have leave the club could then struggle.

Will be harder to attract new players if they are getting pumped each week.
Well there u go I did not know that ground hire and tape cost more in third grade then it does in fourth grade

That’s a huge issue.

A positive for say Coota, who made the step and only won 4 odd games. They were able to produce a league b&f winner.
Well to play devils advocate....

Last time Yass played Coota they beat them in a GF. So with them moving up I honestly do no think that they would struggle as much as people would have you believe. Yass could easily account for Eastlake, Belconnen. Games against Googong and Coota would be tough and tight games that they could win. If the AFL structure the draw so they have the opportunity to play the teams around the bottom half of the ladder twice they would not be getting pumped every week.

Also saying that Coota were able to produce a league B&F. Then you should send Goulburn up aswell as they have had back to back B&F winners. No one even came close to beating Armstrong this year. So with them having the 2 best players over the past 2 years they should be a lock to send up.

In all honesty all of the regional clubs Roos, Cats and Swans would be competitive in 3rd grade now. They could win 5-6 games per year but they would also cop a few hidings. But if one of these teams was to go up it would have to be the Roos even if they lose the GF on Saturday, because 3 GF's in a row and 5 in 6 years they are a step above the 4th grade competition. That is hard to ignore.

The answer could be as simple as bringing back the regional grade and putting all single team clubs into it include Murrumbateman, Belconnen, Queanbeyan and Eastlake. Then AFL Canberra get their match day experiences. You would then end up with 7, 7 and 8 format. That wouldn't be fair to Coota as they have put in the extra effort to bring in a womens team.

No matter what AFL Canberra do someone is going to be upset and complain about how unfair it is.

Since we’re being devils advocates...

possibly teams like Riverina, Coota and Goulburn all had league B&F winners...as they rarely got league umpires for home games...

Coota had two blokes in the top five of the league B&F, including the winner, from 6 wins for the year?! That maths does not add up.

Not many blokes stealing votes from them?

Finucane led the comp for goals whilst playing as a mid/half forward from what I saw, well deserved.

My understanding is he won on 27, even if he was best on in all the wins he would only get to 18, so maybe he got a heap of 2's through out the year, but how does another bloke from the same club get in the top 5? Seems to me they were getting 3 and 2 votes in losses.

I know best on doesnt have to strictly go to the winning team - but its a pretty good rule of thumb!

My understanding is he won on 27, even if he was best on in all the wins he would only get to 18, so maybe he got a heap of 2's through out the year, but how does another bloke from the same club get in the top 5? Seems to me they were getting 3 and 2 votes in losses.

I know best on doesnt have to strictly go to the winning team - but its a pretty good rule of thumb!

The other bloke was 5th on 13 votes. Hardly outrageous.

Happy for the league to release the votes on its website and be proven wrong.

You're obviously extremely invested in this, shoot 'em an email. They might have match tapes of every game for the year too, so you can give us the correct 3-2-1 for each.

Better comps would have better umpires, I'm sure. This isn't the AFL.

Happy for the league to release the votes on its website and be proven wrong.
I think they will as they have in the past. I think it might be a bit of a stretch saying that a club umpire has deliberately done that seeing as both clubs are supposed to supply their own umpires. If he is getting 3 votes in a losing team maybe he is just a really good player.

Well to play devils advocate....

Last time Yass played Coota they beat them in a GF. So with them moving up I honestly do no think that they would struggle as much as people would have you believe. Yass could easily account for Eastlake, Belconnen. Games against Googong and Coota would be tough and tight games that they could win. If the AFL structure the draw so they have the opportunity to play the teams around the bottom half of the ladder twice they would not be getting pumped every week.

Also saying that Coota were able to produce a league B&F. Then you should send Goulburn up aswell as they have had back to back B&F winners. No one even came close to beating Armstrong this year. So with them having the 2 best players over the past 2 years they should be a lock to send up.

In all honesty all of the regional clubs Roos, Cats and Swans would be competitive in 3rd grade now. They could win 5-6 games per year but they would also cop a few hidings. But if one of these teams was to go up it would have to be the Roos even if they lose the GF on Saturday, because 3 GF's in a row and 5 in 6 years they are a step above the 4th grade competition. That is hard to ignore.

The answer could be as simple as bringing back the regional grade and putting all single team clubs into it include Murrumbateman, Belconnen, Queanbeyan and Eastlake. Then AFL Canberra get their match day experiences. You would then end up with 7, 7 and 8 format. That wouldn't be fair to Coota as they have put in the extra effort to bring in a womens team.

No matter what AFL Canberra do someone is going to be upset and complain about how unfair it is.
Agree with most of this but and sorry to nit pick but Goulburn didn’t have last years League BnF playing for them this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just caught the halftime score in the 4s on AFL Canberra Facebook page...

Cooma 62 - Yass 8

Wowee... Tipped Cooma but that's huge.

Thats the mail

Wtf !! without knowing the reasoning behind it that seems ridiculous to me . Makes no sense to weaken a competition that is already struggling . As an owner of a business that is a sponsor of the Seahawks id be bitterly disappointed if the league were to withdraw u from the comp . Again I’m not privy as to the circumstances that surrounds the decision . I sincerely hope it’s not Canberra clubs whinging about the travel etc etc

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wtf !! without knowing the reasoning behind it that seems ridiculous to me . Makes no sense to weaken a competition that is already struggling . As an owner of a business that is a sponsor of the Seahawks id be bitterly disappointed if the league were to withdraw u from the comp . Again I’m not privy as to the circumstances that surrounds the decision . I sincerely hope it’s not Canberra clubs whinging about the travel etc etc

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Surely it cant be Canberra clubs complaining about travel. I always loved the Bay games, go down the night before to see family and friends or the bus trip with the team. I will say that making teams travel down there for the finals in 4th grade seemed a bit strange at the time but when you win the rights to hold the finals by finishing where they did everyone can suck it up for a day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back