Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 (23/04/24 PATCH: Sliders are here)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t GoldbergsGold say that would be the first slider he would change to 0

What’s it do ?
I was going by Evo 2, because in that game it makes the players more weighted at 0, so I wondered if it was like that for 23. I'm assuming 0 is far too slow for 23, which is only good in the sense you can adjust the speed to get that sweet spot "weighted" movement, not sure where that number would be placed at, though, got another hour until 23 is finished redownloading for me to test it. Evo 2 at 0 seemed a little bit too fast for me.

Finally downloaded the patch

First wish/hope for me is the amount of crashes that I experienced in recent weeks drops to 0

For anyone who hasnt tried, go into the sliders and change the run speed to 0…..it is hilarious to watch
🤣
🤣
🤣
🤣

I put the run speed for human controlled to 0 and the AI to 100 - funny thing is that you're basically playing in slow motion with the AI going balls to the wall Forrest Gump style.... the AMUSING thing for me was that they still have EVEN FASTER speed bursts at random (speedy gonzales still exists!!!).

I'll be tuning things and creating multiple custom difficulties. For an example in Evo 2 I did (and played a season with it) a set where you got pinged for holding the ball with the slightest touch. And the complete opposite where it was open slather and no tackles resulted in holding the ball

Massive drop punt goal :D :D :D

Worpedo does a Dom Sheed, but better :p

Last edited:
View attachment 1967993
View attachment 1967994
View attachment 1967995
View attachment 1967997
View attachment 1967998

Had a really fun game vs Carlton, won by 9 points, using these settings. Lost hitouts but had double the clearances, so seems this has been fixed to a degree. But maybe has overcorrected, need more games to be sure. Contested marks were hard to win, think I had 6 for the game, but that was good/realistic, meant had to hit targets and think about inside 50's rather than just bombing it in.

Caveat here is I've played against one team and as the same team - so by no means are these deeply tested. But hopefully a decent enough start point for those who found the game previously to be repetitive/boring.
I gave this one a try. It was fun. It makes the game a lot more frantic in terms of time with the ball but once I got used to it, it was very easy. In some ways easier than usual because I got so many HTB calls against the AI which I rarely get.

I was going by Evo 2, because in that game it makes the players more weighted at 0, so I wondered if it was like that for 23. I'm assuming 0 is far too slow for 23, which is only good in the sense you can adjust the speed to get that sweet spot "weighted" movement, not sure where that number would be placed at, though, got another hour until 23 is finished redownloading for me to test it. Evo 2 at 0 seemed a little bit too fast for me.

There’s zero weight to the players in this game from what the sliders or gameplay suggest. It feels more like just slowing down movement as a whole when changing the player run/sprint speed if that makes sense.

I gave this one a try. It was fun. It makes the game a lot more frantic in terms of time with the ball but once I got used to it, it was very easy. In some ways easier than usual because I got so many HTB calls against the AI which I rarely get.

Yeah I found that too after a couple more games. I'm not sure if that was slider related or I also noticed there are some new AI bugs where they kinda run aimlessly without sprinting. But also the centre clearance bug where the receiver was untacklable has been removed and that could be part of it.

Was thinking to try increase AI reaction speed (make them faster) or else something to do with the tackling to make it harder. But not sure what yet.

But I do think it felt much smoother and more balanced gameplay wise anyway. Just need to tweak it to make it more challenging. The tricky part is you want it to be challenging but I also want it to get easier if I have good players. So I don't want to tweak stuff that makes every game equally hard regardless of the players/teams involved.

There’s zero weight to the players in this game from what the sliders or gameplay suggest. It feels more like just slowing down movement as a whole when changing the player run/sprint speed if that makes sense.
Tried it, I get what you're saying, the players are moving in slow mode, although, it's still better than them running at default super speed. I'm testing it around 10 to 15 atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just played a couple of games and the tackling is much better. Centre bounce has also improved upon its last patch. Game seems a lot more chaotic with certain sliders which is great but I’d still like to see more numbers at the contest regardless of whether you can gang tackle or not. Players shouldn’t be running away after a tackle which is extremely frustrating.
I also found that if you turn up the field kicking distance, the AI has no idea how to adjust and constantly kicks it out in the full. Very annoying as it basically means you have to keep it the same or even lower it.
Other than that tho, the gameplay has once again improved overall.
It’s only taken them a full year to get out of that 1 step forward, 3 steps back sort of cycle

Set shots also seem harder ? Not sure if I just had an off night or not but they certainly seemed harder to be consistent with.

Just played a couple of games and the tackling is much better. Centre bounce has also improved upon its last patch. Game seems a lot more chaotic with certain sliders which is great but I’d still like to see more numbers at the contest regardless of whether you can gang tackle or not. Players shouldn’t be running away after a tackle which is extremely frustrating.
I also found that if you turn up the field kicking distance, the AI has no idea how to adjust and constantly kicks it out in the full. Very annoying as it basically means you have to keep it the same or even lower it.
Other than that tho, the gameplay has once again improved overall.
It’s only taken them a full year to get out of that 1 step forward, 3 steps back sort of cycle

Set shots also seem harder ? Not sure if I just had an off night or not but they certainly seemed harder to be consistent with.

I cranked things up a bit but now my short passes also go 50m+ lol. Need to adjust things again.

This game is way better with sliders, it will take a week or so to find the right recipe, but simply turning down tackles a touch and insufficient disposal reaction makes the game way more open and a far better simulation, giving players a chance to open up contests and more freedom with the ball. Now i've noticed plays/animations i've never seen before, simply because there isn't a lock-on tackle every 5 seconds.

Happy you can also name the slider style as a permanent difficulty option, very cool!

People can now choose the style of AFL game they want to try :)

Last edited:
Sliders are going to be different for everyone depending on how you want to play but I do feel the majority are happy to have it slowed down a touch, turning down the tackling radius and like Mootsy just said and changing the umpires decision to allow less holding the ball calls.

Even turning up the ball spillage allows the play to be a bit more unpredictable.

I’d love a slider to bring more players to the ball the game is still programmed to be mostly 1 on 1 which is great at times but becomes too robotic over a full game.

Side note:
The AI do have themselves programmed to kick centre bounce clearances directly to CHF I wish it was randomly input so they would try handball, kick short or kick long to bring some variety into it.

Anyway seems to be on the positive side now !

I decided to go full extreme, and make Goal Kick Distance 100, Wind Influence 100, and get a game with a strong wind.
Managed to slot this 100m shot with Jack Steele. 💪

AFL 23 - 100m Bomb with Extreme Wind

Patch is good, I like it. AI seems a bit smarter and centre square bounces are no longer a total cakewalk. It's still easy to win, but you can see the developers are taking the high road and aren't resorting to cheap tricks to make things tougher at critical moments or using clunky rubber banding etc. I respect that.

There's still bugs and rough areas, some hilarious ('he's shanked it!...centimetre perfect!') but it's not ruining the game or anything. Looking forward to tweaking gameplay with the sliders, really happy this was prioritised.

Set shots also seem harder ? Not sure if I just had an off night or not but they certainly seemed harder to be consistent with
Maybe this is from tuning what we can now see in the sliders… I.e more ‘Spray’ for OK and Good set shots.

Attachments

• IMG_8716.png
    IMG_8716.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back