Preview Adelaide vs Fremantle Sunday 20th March 1:10 pm Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems I've stumbled into the umpire assessment thread... Wonder where the game day thread has gone?

Anyway, it's been a long preseason and there are no more sleeps till we get to watch our team, that makes today a great day.

Super excited to see what a great pre season can produce. Time to witness the beginning of a dynasty haha

Nervous about today, 3 really big outs. Club needs a win for belief showing our system can stand up with key personnel missing

I think Adelaide only because they’re at home, a lot of crowd energy in round 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C'mon...

'Not in the best 1000 umps'... 'can't cover the ground so other umps have to run further'

Any stats to back these claims up? Umps only have to run 20m in each direction to cover their zone so I'd be surprised if she was incapable of that. And I'd be surprised if someone had a list of the best thousand umps in the country to rank her in.

She stands out because she's a woman. She'll probably screw us because they all do (or so it seems to me on gameday anyway), but I don't think it's due to anything more than that.

I will answer all the Q's here. I was heavily involved with SANFL umpire performance reviews for four years. Have mentioned here years ago that I was part of a program to bring indigenous umpires through the programs. That was in WA.

So to the others who asked how I would know to rate umpires, I know a little. I also rarely comment on umpires in general.

No one can provide stats without access to gps tracking data and even then would need high speed numbers etc to be able to confirm. So instead of thinking this is some sexist bias, observe for yourself.

Umpires run far more than 20m in any given direction. They are actually very fit. When the ball is deep forward there will be two in the 50m arc and another who comes up to the centre of the ground, sometimes to the edge. of 50. They then have to move at pace back ahead of the play. So running at sustained pace is required repeatedly during games.

Watch when they do the pass the ball and sprint to the centre after a goal. This is better viewed at a game. Watch in quick transitions. Often (not always) the umpire who was behind her position on the field will pass her into the 50 and take the deepest position. Why does that happen? It doesn't happen on the other end. The umps are taught and trained which zones to run into. This allows maximum coverage of the ground at all times (hopefully).

She doesn't stand out because she is a woman. I want her to do well because of it. 99% of the footy supporting population would be the same.

Do you think former AFL players get a fast track into the AFL? I know for certain that they are given opportunities to start at a higher level than a beginner who didn't play league. The AFL has stated they want more women involved at every level of the game. That is a good thing.

To think that people are not fast tracked, be it for promotional or other reasons is naive. I never made the claim about 1000 umps would be better. So I am not going to back that up. What I know for certain are there are state league umps who had a far better resume, fitness and standards who didn't get the opportunity. That could be said for some who got passed over for goal umpiring and boundary umps as well. So would there be 1000? I am not sure. From what I am aware of in SANFL and the WAFL levels there would have at the time been at least 50 - 60 who were more suited to the position.

The challenge as always is - finding a balance between pushing people forward and not losing others who see it and no longer want to participate due to the perceived or real unfair promotion of others.

Next time you are at a live game she is umpiring. Watch her running patterns compared to the others on the umpiring team. Then come back to me.

What a load of opinionated and unsubstantiated bs. How the hell would you know how to rate an umpire? There is an actual umpiring department in the AFL, I think I'll trust their judgement over yours.
As if umpires in AFL are consistent..
Actually, I'd love an insight into how they do rate an umpires performance.

Also what happens when mistakes and biases (I'm talking statistical analysis here, not cheating) is identified.

Actually, I'd love an insight into how they do rate an umpires performance.

Also what happens when mistakes and biases (I'm talking statistical analysis here, not cheating) is identified.

There was discussion about this being more public. Which I think, would help matters massively. But it went the other way rapidly. Watching WAFL ump training is informative. They do a massive amount of running and for portions you can hear them discussing focussing on certain aspects of the game. I occasionally would be on a walk and do a few laps of the oval as they were training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Adelaide vs Fremantle Sunday 20th March 1:10 pm Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back