Rumour Adelaide Crows camp

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh lord. Who here is denying the club did something wrong? I'm certainly not.

Go back a step - do you seriously think the Adelaide camp = Rohypnol rape?

And which club has ‘fronted up’?

Denying the club did anything wrong, then trying to sling mud at another club.

Well done crows fans. Well done.
No Crows fan has ever denied that the club did something wrong.

They absolutely did - those involved deserved to lose their job over it, and to no longer be employed in the football industry.

No, I don't think a Camp is the equal of drugging someone and having non-consensual sex.

Why would you suggest they were?

No. Who is making that comparison?

Are you responding to me here because I don't follow sorry.

Instead of all this hyperbole, why not disregarded my little snipe and answer my original questions?

Please, feel free to go into further detail if there's something you feel hasnt being disclosed or you have some creative ideas the AFL haven't thought of in regard to punishment for the club?
Are you under the impression that the AFL have a soft spot for the AFC when it comes to sanctions?
Your denialist diatribe deserved being disregarded

Ramify didn't restart this thread.

It's a fair question to ask what exactly the poster feels still needs to be done, and why.

My view...,watch this space.

Yep.

In September last year the Club issued a formal statement on the camp that ended with the statement 'the matter is now closed'.

That was not only far from the truth. It showed an absolute arrogance and disregard for current and former players at the club who had expressed concern at what had happened at the camp and subsequently. Players including Eddie Betts and Josh Jenkins who clearly did not regard the matter as closed. In an emotional statement just a few weeks ago Jenkins made it clear that he will never forgive those at the club for what happened at the club.

FINALLY just 2 weeks ago the Adelaide Football Club chairman John Olsen and CEO Tim Silvers issued an open letter apologising to a number of former Crows players who have recently described negative experiences at the AFL training camp. The AFL, who are the effective owners of the Crows, also issued an apology (of sorts). The AFLPA has also indicated it will be following up on matters that have been raised over the past few weeks.

This matter, coupled with the Tex Walker racism scandal, has been a festering sore on the culture and character of the Adelaide Crows. Made worse by the manner in which it was handled from within the organisation. The belated formal apology from new Club administrators has at least indicated that the Club understands that the matter was poorly handled from day 1.

But the trauma suffered by Betts, Jenkins and other players is not washed away so easily. From what has been revealed publicly in statements by Betts and Jenkins it seems to me that a prima facie case may exist for those who suffered psychological and cultural trauma (using Betts' words) from the camp to pursue their employer in a claim for negligence for creating an unsafe workplace. To have any chance of success such action would most likely take the form of a class action in the Victorian Supreme Court against the AFL as the owner of the Adelaide Crows (see earlier reference).

But as Adelaide sports lawyer Greg Griffen, who has a full understanding of what happened at the camp and its impact on some participants, has said it would be a "very brave" player who actually came forward to shed light on the rumours and take action against the club. "I've got a very strong view that in Australia, the AFL never lose," he said. The organisation has very deep pockets, access to the best commercial legal defence lawyers in Australia and a clear desire to never see its internal workings and processes be scrutinised in public via a court case that will gain national and probably international media attention.

So as you say. Watch this space.

Not denying anything. It's not that complicated.
Asking for specifics of the alleged crime and some thoughts on what a fitting punishment would be.

Here's a suggestion - compare to Essendons doping regime and gauge the punishment accordingly.
I'm all for our premiership points to be stripped this year and then to be given Pick 1 at next year's draft.

How long has it been now? Do we really believe that if it were such an open and shut case as you guys suggest and there were some legitimate grounds for punishment to be dealt, that we wouldn't have seen some action on that front yet?
Closer to home, what more, besides ousting Roo, would you have the club do?

You are making out like there is some wider conspiracy at play where everyone is working to save face for the Crows. Considering the history of sanctions leveled toward the AFC, I believe this is delusional thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. Who is making that comparison?

Are you responding to me here because I don't follow sorry.

OK, by the #’s.

1- You stated that no work place laws had been broken by the camp.

2 - Festerz wrote a comprehensive re-buttle.

3- You called it diatribe and attacked the source of the facts.

4 - To me, the argument is one of which clubs behaviour is more questionable - so - I called into question your need to undermine the evidence (by belittling Festerz post) rather than make an honest comparison of events btwn the two clubs.

5 - You didn’t get my point.

I hope you do now.

Not denying anything. It's not that complicated.
Asking for specifics of the alleged crime and some thoughts on what a fitting punishment would be.

Here's a suggestion - compare to Essendons doping regime and gauge the punishment accordingly.
I'm all for our premiership points to be stripped this year and then to be given Pick 1 at next year's draft.

How long has it been now? Do we really believe that if it were such an open and shut case as you guys suggest and there were some legitimate grounds for punishment to be dealt, that we wouldn't have seen some action on that front yet?
Closer to home, what more, besides ousting Roo, would you have the club do?

You are making out like there is some wider conspiracy at play where everyone is working to save face for the Crows. Considering the history of sanctions leveled toward the AFC, I believe this is delusional thinking.

I actually agree with what you’re saying here. I’m not sure what else needs to happen (or indeed, can happen) from a legal perspective.

It’s clear that AFC has cleaned out the staff responsible except Roo and I’m not sure that he was as deeply involved in it as some would like.

I actually agree with what you’re saying here. I’m not sure what else needs to happen (or indeed, can happen) from a legal perspective.

It’s clear that AFC has cleaned out the staff responsible except Roo and I’m not sure that he was as deeply involved in it as some would like.
If Roo was the Director of Football, which he was, then logically the camp was in his Department. Common Sense says that when the s**t went down it is in his area to find out. Given it looks to have been a complete snow job in terms of what went on at the camp, and it remains a football department issue, but everyone else even remotely linked to it had got the arse, his continued presence in an official role looks like a glaring anomaly.

Ramify didn't restart this thread.

It's a fair question to ask what exactly the poster feels still needs to be done, and why.

You and the other poster were, and always have played this whole thing down, which is a crows staple. Your immediate reaction to me pointing out that the media has gone quiet and the afl probably wants to sweep it under the rug (again lol) was to downplay it by asking what happened as if you don’t know.

If you need a refresher, here’s the bullet points for the simple folk.

Hired a shithouse gung-ho organisation and gave them free license.
Certain club officials (like your docs lol) were kept from it, which is already a flag the club knew they were doing something wrong.
Those idiots went and mentally tortured and distressed a bunch of your players.
Players complained to the club.
The club punished players who complained, including club champions
The club set out and instituted a cover up
The club lied to the media and either lied in subsequent investigations or participated in further cover ups.

Every bad thing that happens at the crows is the result of a bad egg who the club jettisons and they say nothing more to see.

What punishment have the crows received from one of the worst scandals modern Australian sport has seen and a subsequent cover up?

Please name them?

And no, a staff member or coach or whoever losing their job isn’t a punishment for the crows.

And specifically the cover up, which has since come to light and has not yet been addressed by the afl.

The crows are likely going to get done by the courts, but let off by the corrupt afl.

If Roo was the Director of Football, which he was, then logically the camp was in his Department. Common Sense says that when the s**t went down it is in his area to find out. Given it looks to have been a complete snow job in terms of what went on at the camp, and it remains a football department issue, but everyone else even remotely linked to it had got the arse, his continued presence in an official role looks like a glaring anomaly.

Ok, so get rid of Roo. Then what?

I don’t think there’s much else that can be done.

Don’t take this as me being supportive of what went on at the camp. It was clearly a massive balls up and a beautiful example of how not to manage a crisis in a football club.

I’m just curious as to what people want/expect to happen from here.

What punishment have the crows received from one of the worst scandals modern Australian sport has seen and a subsequent cover up?

Please name them?

Loss of players
Loss of football staff
Damage to reputation
Damage to list
Complete disintegration of on field performance

Sometimes, unless there’s a legal transgression that needs to be answered for, the natural consequence of poor decisions is all the punishment that’s needed.

Loss of players
Loss of football staff
Damage to reputation
Damage to list
Complete disintegration of on field performance

Sometimes, unless there’s a legal transgression that needs to be answered for, the natural consequence of poor decisions is all the punishment that’s needed.
1. Being s**t doesn’t mean you get excluded from repercussions

If Carlton cheated the cap next year, but won the wooden spoon do you let them off cause they were s**t? It’s the exact same thing you’re proposing

2. Losing players? What player did they lose that harmed them? The players they lost because of it were fringe players, players on the edge of being delisted and about to retire players.

I just don’t see how you let them off because they’ve been s**t on field, and how you could propose it suits this time without setting that as the precedent that you only address things based on ladder position in future.

But worst of all none of that was action taken by the body that we trust with governing the sport.

1. Being s**t doesn’t mean you get excluded from repercussions

If Carlton cheated the cap next year, but won the wooden spoon do you let them off cause they were s**t? It’s the exact same thing you’re proposing

2. Losing players? What player did they lose that harmed them? The players they lost because of it were fringe players, players on the edge of being delisted and about to retire players.

I just don’t see how you let them off because they’ve been s**t on field, and how you could propose it suits this time without setting that as the precedent that you only address things based on ladder position in future.

What do you want to happen?
What punishment are you suggesting?

What do you want to happen?
What punishment are you suggesting?
I went over that earlier in this thread.

The afl mostly needs to address it as acknowledgment that they ****ed up, that you can’t do this, cover it up and get away with it.

And until they do as we’ve seen the crows fans are for the large part going to play it down as a beat up that’s been overplayed or the work of a few bad eggs.

Without a punishment being leveled at the crows from the body trusted to govern the sport the whole thing is a mockery and clearly being swept under the carpet.

So that’s the main point of the crows being punished , an acknowledgment that it was wrong and the league won’t allow it.

As others have pointed out Ricciuto was Football Director at the time the camp was planned and implemented and during its aftermath when concerns raised by players were not acted on.

Why do you say you are 'Not sure he was as deeply involved in it as some would like'?

Ok, so get rid of Roo. Then what?

I don’t think there’s much else that can be done.

Don’t take this as me being supportive of what went on at the camp. It was clearly a massive balls up and a beautiful example of how not to manage a crisis in a football club.

I’m just curious as to what people want/expect to happen from here.
The investigations that were conducted would appear to have been “compromised” at best. The Crows can do whatever they want, if I was SA Worksafe or the AFL and I was serious…I’d be sending my people back in.

Because I wouldn’t want to look like a complete tool when the inevitable court case does.

OK, by the #’s.

1- You stated that no work place laws had been broken by the camp.

2 - Festerz wrote a comprehensive re-buttle.

3- You called it diatribe and attacked the source of the facts.

4 - To me, the argument is one of which clubs behaviour is more questionable - so - I called into question your need to undermine the evidence (by belittling Festerz post) rather than make an honest comparison of events btwn the two clubs.

5 - You didn’t get my point.

I hope you do now.

Take a step back mate. You are confusing posts and who is saying what.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back