Past Adam Spackman (2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Shanghai Showdown

After a request from the clubs, the AFL agreed to make it a 16-a-side encounter. Neither club had enough fit and players to field teams of 22. The Lions went as far as calling on Adam Spackman, who is a member of the football department staff, but not an officially listed player.
Spackman, formerly rookie listed by the Lions, spent this year focusing on his administrative role and playing in the Lions' twos when his diary permitted.

adamspackman.jpg

Reminds me of Border taking the field as the 15th man in an Australia A game in Bellerieve quite some years ago. Lots of injuries - first they used the 12th man, then a couple of rope-ins from Hobart club sides, then Border trotted out on to the field as he was coaching them at the time. Biggest cheer for a 15th man I've ever heard. :D

Gotta admire his persistence.

Prepared to work in the Lions shop until he got a chance at a rookie spot, then unfortunately injured (wasn't it a bad ankle injury?), then prepared to work in a support role and fill in for the ressies. I'm still not sure how he qualified to play for the ressies last year without being on the list.

Any chance he could be re-rookied? He seems to have got over his injury which was mooted as career-ending.

He seems to have got over his injury which was mooted as career-ending.

What injury was that? Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Kieren King?

Spacky missed about half of his rookie season with an ankle IIRC. I don't think there was ever any threat to his footballing longevity, though. He played 10 or 12 games as a top-up for the misters this year.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/02/06/3939335.htm?site=widebay

The Wide Bay falls into the Lions academy zone, meaning players from the region could one day be drafted to the AFL side.

"We're out and about looking for the very best kids within the region," said Adam Spackman, lions fan development coordinator and former Hervey Bay Bombers player.

"So you don't have to play AFL, we're just looking for the very best talent from the region to give AFL a go.

"We're looking for players who are willing to learn and to try hard, want someone that is willing to get his hands dirty.

"Passionate people that are willing to work hard is a key criteria for us, and then we also need the physical attributes of being able to play the game."

I just stumbled upon the fact that Adam is General Manager of our commercial team at the club. Had no idea he was still involved with the club. Come a long way from working in the Gabba retail store to being rookie listed for a year. Had stints in marketing/commercial roles at the Titans & Suns as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back