Past Adam Spackman (2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 66 in the 2008 Rookie Draft

2ik5unm.jpg

Re: Adam Spackman

Link

Gubby:

"We put on a Queensland priority pick in Adam Spackman. Adam’s a midfield half-back who played state football for Queensland this year and had a very good finals series."

dczxad.jpg

Spackman's official title at the Lions' Shop is 'Retail Assistant'

Spackman won Morningside's Charlie King Rookie of the Year award.

Spackman was 4th in Morningside's DeveryKelly Medal:
Jacob Gough 114 votes
Nathan Kinch 111 votes
Kent Abey 96 votes
Adam Spackman 64 votes
Ben Gibson 57 votes

And for the record Spackman joined the permission to train list at the Lions after the National Draft.

efj3o5.jpg

Link

ADAM SPACKMAN GETS HIS CHANCE WITH LIONS
Tuesday, 16 December, 2008

Adam Spackman, a Hervey Bay teenager turned Morningside (AFLQ) star and State representative, has become the 16th member of the Queensland U18 squad of 2006 to graduate to AFL ranks.
Nineteen-year-old Spackman officially became a 2009 rookie with the Brisbane Lions via today’s NAB AFL Rookie Draft after a stellar 2008 campaign with Morningside in the AFLQ Velocity Sports Cup.
The super-fit small defender/midfielder was the only Queensland newcomer to the AFL system and the first Hervey Bay product to win recognition at this level since former Carlton player Brett Backwell, now a competition standout with Glenelg in the South Australian National Football League.
And that despite playing soccer in his youth and not taking up AFL football until 2003.
Spackman was told of his Lions rookie listing on 1 December after the NAB AFL National Draft and has been training with the club since 3 December but only today did it all become official.
Mark Browning, AFLQ Talent Manager, said Spackman’s rookie listing was “a sensational reward for effort” by the 2004 winner of the AFL Bundaberg/Wide Bay Under 17 League B&F Medal.
“He took a giant punt when he relocated to Brisbane to do Year 12 at St.Peter’s College in 2006. It was the most important year of his schooling but he was prepared to back himself to give himself every chance with his football,” said Browning.
“Everyone at the school says how sensational how was and it’s a fantastic story of a young guy who has persevered and perservered,” he said.
Spackman, a student at Kawungan State School and Hervey Bay High School before heading to Brisbane, played with the Australia Post Queensland U18 Scorpions in 2006 under former Brisbane Lions triple premiership but was an emergency for the national carnival.
According to Browning, he was “shattered” at the time but has since worked tirelessly, first with the 2007 Queensland U18 side and this year with Morningside to earn his opportunity with the Lions.
He was among Queensland's best players at the 2007 National U18 Championships, where in the three championship games he had a run-with role with three future AFL players - Hawthorn 2008 premiership ace Cyril Rioli, Sydney's Craig Bird and Brisbane's Tom Collier.
And he had an outstanding 2008 season with the Panthers, earning selection in the Queensland State Open side against Western Australia in Townsville in June before a fine finals campaign topped off by brilliant performance in a losing grand final side.
He was also fourth in the 2008 NAB AFLQ Rising Star Award behind Mt.Gravatt’s Rohan Bail, recently drafted to Melbourne, Southport’s Dayne Beams, drafted to Collingwood, and Broadbeach’s Dayne Zorko, the Queensland U18 captain of 2007.
Spackman joins a stellar list of players to graduate from the 2006 State U18 side, which won the national U18 division two title undefeated.
Already captain Albert Proud, vice-captain Ricky Petterd, deputy vice-captain Brent Renouf, David Armitage, Scott Clouston, Dzufer, Shaun Hampson, Rhys Magin, Sam Reid, Kurt Tippett, Gavin Urquhart and Jesse White have played AFL football, and Kiel, Chris Smith and Gavin Grose have been AFL rookies without playing at senior level.
Ironically, Magin and Reid were also emergencies for the national carnival before playing in 2007.
Spackman, who had worked as a trainee with the Brisbane Lions AFL Shop this year, had earlier represented Queensland at U16 level from Hervey Bay in 2004.
He was also a South Queensland cricket representative in 2004, was his school age athletics champion every year from 1998 to 2005, and also a local representative soccer player in Hervey Bay.

spackmankf1.jpg

Has experience as a tagger, handy string to his bow. With his discipline and commitment there may be a long term role for him as a run-with player.

Would be nice to unleash the Spackattack on a few gun mids. ;)

Link

Lions take on rookie Adam Spackman
Article from:
Dominic Burke
December 16, 2008 11:00pm

AFTER fitting out Brisbane fans in the club's colours for the past two years, Adam Spackman is now sizing up a Lions guernsey for himself.
The AFL aspirant has been biding his time working as a retail assistant in the Lions' Gabba merchandise shop while making a name for himself playing in the AFLQ for Morningside.
And Spackman, 19, will continue to call the Gabba home after he was chosen by Brisbane yesterday at No. 66 in the AFL rookie draft.
"It's a bit funny walking up there now being a player, not a staff member," he said last night.
The hard-running midfielder's reward comes after two years of disappointment at draft time.
The Queensland representative was overlooked in both the 2006 and 2007 drafts.
"It's a bit more relief than anything else that it's finally happened, I'm finally there," he said.
"I missed out when I was 17 and I missed out again last year.
"I was pretty nervous about it because I was thinking this might be my last shot."
Spackman, who moved to Brisbane from Hervey Bay to take up a sporting scholarship in his final year of school, impressed the Lions' coaching staff while training with the club over the past fortnight.
"He would be one of the fittest lads on our list," Brisbane football manager Graeme Allan said.

spackmanel2.jpg

OVERLOOKED twice . . . Adam Spackman was finally chosen by Brisbane yesterday.

The Ear, Mark Oberhardt

MY QAFL men tell me the only surprising thing about Morningside's Adam Spackman being rookie listed with the Lions is that it took so long. Spackman is regarded as one of the best in the AFLQ but missed in both the 2006 and 2007 drafts. He is the 16th member of the famous Queensland 2006 U18 squad of move into the AFL ranks.

spackman1zb8.jpg

Adam Spackman evades Ranga Ediriwickrama

Re: Adam Spackman - rookie

Link

ROOKIE SPACKMAN SET FOR LIONS DEBUT
Friday, 13 Feburary, 2009

Adam Spackman will make his first appearance for the Brisbane Lions tomorrow night on the same venue as the game which clinched his opportunity in the AFL.
The Hervey Bay 19-year-old will turn out for the Lions against St.Kilda in the Round 1 NAB Cup clash at Carrara.
His opportunity comes 140 days after he played a dominant role for Morningside in the Velocity Sports Cup AFLQ grand final against Southport at Carrara.
That the Panthers lost an eight-point thriller was in no way due to Spackman, who impressed throughout the finals with his hard running, defensive pressure and good use of the ball.
It capped a stellar career for the player who will wear the No.46 jumper for the Lions after it was vacated by Irishman Colm Begley, now at St.Kilda.
He also made his State Open debut for Queensland against Western Australia in Townsville, and finished 4th in the NAB AFLQ Rising Star Award, won by Melbourne draftee Rohan Bail from Collingwood draftee Dayne Beams, and was 4th in the Morningside B&F.
Spackman, among the fittest players at the Lions group despite not joining the club until midway through the pre-Christmas period, is likely to get a run-with role when he gets his chance tomorrow night.

spackmanvz9.jpg

I didn't think he played that well,making a few mistakes and only managing 6 disposals.

Link

Crossing the fence

Lions.com.au
By Michael Whiting
1:05 PM Tue 17 February, 2009

FOR TWO years Adam Spackman watched on from the Brisbane Lions football shop wondering what it would be like to join the players on the other side of the fence.

On Saturday night he found out.

In what has played out as the classic boyhood dream, 19-year-old Spackman worked two years in the club's shop before being drafted onto the rookie list late last year to join his idols on the field.

And in the opening round of the NAB Cup against St Kilda on Saturday night, he got a taste of the action, playing on Saints livewire Stephen Milne for the second half.

Spackman was overlooked in the national draft in 2007, but went back to his club at Morningside and had a stellar 2008.

It ensured his role on the Lions' payroll changed significantly.

“I started off upstairs and moved downstairs so nothing's changed except the job,” he laughed.

“(Lions head of football department Graeme) Gubby Allen came up and said before the rookie draft they were going to pre-select me.

“It's everything I'd worked for. It's probably relief more than anything.

“When I first started it was surreal. I wasn't intimidated I was just trying to not make mistakes. But now I'm getting to know them (players) a bit better and feel better.”

Spackman said he jumped on the bandwagon after the Lions won their second premiership in 2002 and became a supporter from his Hervey Bay home.

He moved to Brisbane to finish his schooling at Indooroopilly's St Peters Lutheran College in 2006 and got the traineeship at the Lions shop at the end of that year.

“I wanted to get a traineeship, and there was another mate of mine here, (St Kilda's) Dave Armitage and I was keen to get there and see what they (players) do and it just made me want it so much,” Spackman said.

“I didn't get drafted at 18 but I got rookied at 19.

“I was upset because I was working there for a year and I wanted to be like the boys but I went back and thought about it talked to a few people and worked on what I had to do and I just went away and worked as hard as I could.”

And the midfielder did just that, being a prime mover in Morningside's push to last year's grand final against Southport.

Spackman said getting to run on as a substitute in Saturday night's nine-point win over St Kilda was a dream come true.

“It was awesome. Once I got on I was excited. Milne is one of the guys you see when you're growing up. He's pretty quick and pretty smart but I loved it.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Ash McGrath, the black armbands worn last weekend were a tribute to Adam Spackman's mum who passed away last week.

Sad news. I'm sure she would have been extremely proud when Adam's hard work paid off when he was drafted last year.

I've played footy with him along time ago. He was a really good kid. Also him not starting AFL until 2003 is just wrong...don't know where they get their facts from.

I've played footy with him along time ago. He was a really good kid. Also him not starting AFL until 2003 is just wrong...don't know where they get their facts from.
nah mate thats correct, i play for hervey bay where he was originally from. bloody gun footballer, it's hard to see how good you have to be to make it if he can't.

I know this is old news - but you can see on the Lions website that he is listed as teh Football Administration Manager... whatever that is!

Adam Spackman: Football Administration Manager

Probably responsible for all the paperwork and administration given out to the players throughout the course of the year, in addition to doing some office work. That's my guess, anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back