A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

So, Australia Day is nearly here again, and the comments are already starting to ramp up - with one exception: I've yet to see a better date put forward. My two cents is that until we sign a treaty with our First Nation people and can use that day as our national day, then let's leave it as is and stop the annual out pouring of commentary that is void of a meaningful solution.

So, Australia Day is nearly here again, and the comments are already starting to ramp up - with one exception: I've yet to see a better date put forward. My two cents is that until we sign a treaty with our First Nation people and can use that day as our national day, then let's leave it as is and stop the annual out pouring of commentary that is void of a meaningful solution.
Shane Warne's birthday.

Problem solved.

So, Australia Day is nearly here again, and the comments are already starting to ramp up - with one exception: I've yet to see a better date put forward.
I find this position surprising. Any other date is basically a better date. February 12th? January 20th? December 1st?

The date doesn't need to have any specific significance as it would become significant for being Australia Day. Pick any of those dates (or any other date) and 95% of issues fall away.

I find this position surprising. Any other date is basically a better date. February 12th? January 20th? December 1st?

The date doesn't need to have any specific significance as it would become significant for being Australia Day. Pick any of those dates (or any other date) and 95% of issues fall away.
Do you really believe that 95% of the issues would disappear if our national day was moved by a week? The 26th of January was picked once upon a time, too. The fleet arrived prior to that.

Do you really believe that 95% of the issues would disappear if our national day was moved by a week? The 26th of January was picked once upon a time, too. The fleet arrived prior to that.
It’s a bit facetious to say the 26th was “picked once upon a time”. It was the date that the British declared sovereignty. Even if they arrived earlier, it is clearly a marker of white settlement.

Moving the day won’t fix the underlying problems in Australian society. But moving the day to legitimately any other day would remove the direct link to white settlement and solve a lot of issues re Australia Day itself.

Stoked we are spending hundreds of billions of dollars that we dont have for new missile systems, helicopters and submarines, wouldnt it have been easier to just shut the * up and practice moderate diplomacy.

Paying top dollar at the height of a conflict after publicly taking a side in a war between two countries we had neutral relations, while our country struggles. Stupidity, corruption, short-sightedness, dangerous leadership

You know with Putin, the more I learn about that guy the more I don't care for him
Without specifying either way such learnings can also depend on the source ... eg the more I learn about Bob (from his ex-wife Joan) the less I like him...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without specifying either way such learnings can also depend on the source ... eg the more I learn about Bob (from his ex-wife Joan) the less I like him...

In this instance, I think it's from the horses mouth. Two hours long from the horses mouth. Not that I suspect many of us listened to the whole of the speech lol.

I just feel for those poor Ukranian's being held hostage against their will in a liberal democracy :tearsofjoy:

Edit: To be fair, I know these speeches are for a domestic audience only. It probably doesn't sound so absurd to them. And he certainly doesn't care how his rhetoric is taken by international media.

Last edited:
In this instance, I think it's from the horses mouth. Two hours long from the horses mouth. Not that I suspect many of us listened to the whole of the speech lol.

I just feel for those poor Ukranian's being held hostage against their will in a liberal democracy :tearsofjoy:

Edit: To be fair, I know these speeches are for a domestic audience only. It probably doesn't sound so absurd to them. And he certainly doesn't care how his rhetoric is taken by international media.
You do know what happens to any Ukrainian man who doesn't want to fight right? In said liberal democracy

Well 'liberal democracy' as a concept is not something that is considered a positive in most of the world (and even in the West what we have now is hardly what the concept is supposed to represent) ... and the levels of both 'democracy' and 'liberalism' have tanked significantly in the Ukraine since 2014.

But you are correct Putin was largely aiming his speech to the hearts and minds of the Russians.

So which is the better option of the two evils?
Well I know that China has built bases in the South China Sea and tried to strike arrangements with pacific nations to have a more proximal military presence to Australia, which necessitated the purchase of submarines, helicopters and anti air defence equipment, which is considered justified writ large; but yet America builds 130 bases on Russia's border and long range anti air, but their pre-emptive strike on Ukraine is considered unjustified. I mean I'm just saying if in a future time we've got all of our submarines, missiles etc etc and china manages to build 130 bases on our doorstep, you don't think 1 Aussies going to say why don't we use them? Now I don't think we'd win but I'm just saying Russia's position is understandable, and we should be neutral

Well I know that China has built bases in the South China Sea and tried to strike arrangements with pacific nations to have a more proximal military presence to Australia, which necessitated the purchase of submarines, helicopters and anti air defence equipment, which is considered justified writ large; but yet America builds 130 bases on Russia's border and long range anti air, but their pre-emptive strike on Ukraine is considered unjustified. I mean I'm just saying if in a future time we've got all of our submarines, missiles etc etc and china manages to build 130 bases on our doorstep, you don't think 1 Aussies going to say why don't we use them? Now I don't think we'd win but I'm just saying Russia's position is understandable, and we should be neutral

Where are the 130 bases on Russia's border? I was certainly aware of the military presence the U.S has around China via bases in various countries.

And yes, I think that aside from Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, probably Cambodia & the Solomon Islands & nup and Viceregal, the majority of the world condemns the invasion of Ukraine.

And the irony is, if the growth and proliferation of NATO was a major factor driving the invasion of Ukraine and supposed to be a push back of sorts. The result has been the exact opposite. Everybody wants to be part of NATO now.

How does the US having these 130 bases force Russia to invade Ukraine?

Where are the 130 bases on Russia's border? I was certainly aware of the military presence the U.S has around China via bases in various countries.

And yes, I think that aside from Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, probably Cambodia & the Solomon Islands & nup and Viceregal, the majority of the world condemns the invasion of Ukraine.
In an earlier post you indicated that viewing things from a Russian viewpoint was 'absurd' which kind of indicates that your ability to see things from outside your familiar persepctive might need some extra experience ...

Support for the Ukraine/NATO/US side in the current conflict is largely based in Europe, US, Canada, Israel, Australia, NZ, Phillipines, Japan etc ... what is often referred to as 'the west' and even in the US there is a significant portion of the population who are against their involvment there (none of them are in congress of course iirc!) and the development of the BRICS+ and other regional blocks and trade developments has increased since the beginning of the SMO.

In an earlier post you indicated that viewing things from a Russian viewpoint was 'absurd' which kind of indicates that your ability to see things from outside your familiar persepctive might need some extra experience ...

Support for the Ukraine/NATO/US side in the current conflict is largely based in Europe, US, Canada, Israel, Australia, NZ, Phillipines, Japan etc ... what is often referred to as 'the west' and even in the US there is a significant portion of the population who are against their involvment there (none of them are in congress of course iirc!) and the development of the BRICS+ and other regional blocks and trade developments has increased since the beginning of the SMO.

Nope. Not at all. The concept of ukraine citizens being hostages was pretty clearly my reference in terms of absurdity. You've really stretched that.

You have a great talent for twisting things to your own narrative Viceregal. Credit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back