Past #9: Jess Sinclair - traded to NM as part of Bell deal - 142 games for NM - delisted/retired end '08

Will Jess Sinclair be selected this week?

• Yes

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He was already slowish and lost another yard this year. When you're one sided as well, it's just not going to work.

He's been very good for us. Good luck to him.

If Sinclair and Brown go, would this be the end of the "Docker recruits" era, which began around 1996? (Bell, Burton, Abraham, Dhurrkay, Groom, Brown, Sinclair) I'm not sure if we had any Dockers on our list in 1995.

Sinkers has been a good player for us, but I agree that it is time, as we have several others who can play the same role, and who should be given the opportunity.

If Sinclair and Brown go, would this be the end of the "Docker recruits" era, which began around 1996? (Bell, Burton, Abraham, Dhurrkay, Groom, Brown, Sinclair) I'm not sure if we had any Dockers on our list in 1995.
Sinkers has been a good player for us, but I agree that it is time, as we have several others who can play the same role, and who should be given the opportunity.

Their first year was 95, so no. But Bell, Burton, Abraham, Dhurkkay and Groom were inaugural Dockers (as was Peter Mann).

Sinclair came to us in the deal that saw Peter Bell return to the Dockers - can't imagine why, but they refused to do a deal on Pavlich. They finally woke up to our plundering of their talent and repaid us in kind by trading Leigh Brown to us.

He has been super over the years, but we now have many young players that play a similar role, and are ready to play now. The difference with Thompson, is that players like Tarrent, Smith and Wundke may need another year of development, so keeping Thommo makes sense, but for Jess, players like Gav, JWS, Lower, Ross, Riggio etc all play similar roles.

Good luck to Jess and if it is the end thanks for a great career.

He has been super over the years, but we now have many young players that play a similar role, and are ready to play now. The difference with Thompson, is that players like Tarrent, Smith and Wundke may need another year of development, so keeping Thommo makes sense, but for Jess, players like Gav, JWS, Lower, Ross, Riggio etc all play similar roles.

Good luck to Jess and if it is the end thanks for a great career.

Spot on.

Jess had another year left on his contract however he announced to the playing group this morning at a scheduled meeting that he was retiring.

Not sure at this stage if he will still play on for the VFL finals however you would think he would.

As said as I feel saying it - but it's time to go Jess.

He has been one of my favourite players over the years but hsa lost some pace as mentioned by others. IMO his best season for us was 2001 - his first year, after a slow start.

Will be known as very much a North player despite his x number of games for Fremantle...

I think he was drafted the same year as Jeff White and both seem to be finishing up at the same time, despite their age suggesting there maybe some more time left for them...

What makes me a little bit sad about this development is a couple of years ago he played some absolute blinders, taking 6 - 8 contested marks up and down the wing each game and driving a lot of our forward thrusts. One sunny day at the G comes to mind but be dammned if I can think of specifics. anyway during this match he had just taken his third awesome grab for the quarter and I thought to myself 'gee he would have to be in our top 5' and I thought it was a sign of things to come. But now in retrospect this was his career best form, and I was seeing the best footy he would play right there. Sad to think that your best days as a footballer can come and go so quickly.

this can really be a horrible time of year for footballers. unlucky through injury this year which certainly has cut his career short. i still remember when he "had to go" against Gaspar at the Dome a few years ago. the ball spilled our way, we goaled and went on to win. still probably the only roo that has been surfing with Tony Modra! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jess Sinclair announces retirement

Jess Sinclair today announced to the North Melbourne playing group that he is retiring from AFL football.
After making his debut in 1997, Sinclair played 50 games for Fremantle before being traded to the Kangaroos at the end of the 2000 season, where he went on to play 142 games.
North Melbourne Chief of Football Donald McDonald said that Sinclair had made a great contribution during his career at Arden Street.
"Jess has been a good player for us over a long period of time, which is testament to his commitment and work ethic," McDonald said.
"He is renowned as one of the hardest trainers at the club. His professionalism set a great example to those around him, particularly the younger members of our list.
"Jess should be extremely proud of what he has achieved on and off the field. He has been a respected and popular teammate and a valued member of the North Melbourne Football Club. We will support him fully as he makes the transition to life after football."
Sinclair said that the club and its people meant a great deal to him.
"I would like to thank the North Melbourne Football Club for the opportunities I have been given over the past eight years. The club has been very supportive through my career, it has been like a second family," Sinclair said.
"I wish all of the players, coaches and staff all the very best and look forward to watching the group achieve success in the future."
Sinclair will finish the season with North Melbourne's VFL affiliate Werribee. He will then take some time off to get married in January before planning the next stage of his working life.
"Football is what I know and what I love, I think I've got plenty to offer and plan to stay involved in the game in some capacity."
Jess Sinclair
DOB: 26/8/78
Games: 192 (North Melbourne 142, Fremantle 50)
Goals: 71
Recruited from: East Ringwood/Eastern U/18/Fremantle
Brownlow medal: 30 career votes
Honours: AFL Rising Star nominee 1998

kangaroos.com.au

Wow, I hadn't realised he was so close to 200 games and 150 with us - that's way better than a solid citizen.

Thanks for everything, Jess, you've been a credit, and best of luck with whatever you do from now on. We're losing an excellent clubman, a real team player and a whole hunk of gorgeousness.

Now, we57st, keep your eyes peeled for even more wedding news...

Jess along with Brady Rawlings will be inducted into the AFL 200 Club tonight at a dinner celebrating 200 + game Players including day and night games.

Wow, I hadn't realised he was so close to 200 games and 150 with us - that's way better than a solid citizen.

Thanks for everything, Jess, you've been a credit, and best of luck with whatever you do from now on. We're losing an excellent clubman, a real team player and a whole hunk of gorgeousness.

Now, we57st, keep your eyes peeled for even more wedding news...

Will do, Hearts. A mate of mine actually went to high school with Jess so maybe i'll even know someone who knows someone who knows someone who's going, so I can give you even more of an insider's view than the Port Phillip Leader. Now that would be something.

Sad to see him retire, Im sure if he had been allowed to he would have stayed on and if he was given the chance played some decent football like he always did esspecially off the HBF in 07 which i think was one of his better years. But the Club is going in a different direction and sadly forced him to retire :(. Congratulations Jess on a great career.

Very sad to hear :mad:

A wonderful servant (sorry for the cliche) of our club, always tried his heart out, week in week out, fantastic guy off the field (always friendly with everyone, only spoke to him on a few occasions but he was lovely each time, and always had plenty of time for people who wanted a photo/autograph/chat) and a great North Melbourne man. Real shame that he didn't get to play his 200th/150th for North, however milestones are over-rated, and well remember the quality rather than the quantity, the hard work and committment rather than the number.

Thanks for everything Jess, you certainly will be missed next year! Best of luck with whatever you choose to do in the future :thumbsu:

I suppose in todays footy, the only way a player like Jess could survive (given his one sidedness and speed) would be if he had a surgical kick on him. He is not a bad kick (way better than captain) but it's far from consistantly hitting a target, especially inside 50.

His strengths over the years have been his athleticism and hardness at the ball and the man. He was one of the first half back flanlers at the time who was put into the position to start attacking moves rather than to stop a dangerous half forward (the role played by King, McLeod and to some extent Peter Matera towards the end of his career).

Sinclair was essentially a winger turned into half back, due to his speed limitations and was perfectly suited down back given his hardness and competetive nature.

Told the players he had retired this morning, apparently.

is getting married in january and wanted to work on life after footy.

cheers jess still believe you were under rated by many, but unfotunate injuries at the start of this yr saw your 2008 season demise with the ankle injury on your vfa comeback

Jess along with Brady Rawlings will be inducted into the AFL 200 Club tonight at a dinner celebrating 200 + game Players including day and night games.

Good news:thumbsu:

One of my fav players over the past 8 years, wish him all the best.

Back