Senior 6: Toby Conway (2021 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks a little more like an Ottens type to me. If he ends up anywhere near that good then he'll be a great pick up.

Agree. Shifter said otto has been doing some work with him so hopefully conway has learnt a lot from him.

Very happy!!!!
I've wanted a talented ruckman for many years and we look to have got one of the best available in the draft.
Will take a few years to finally put it all together but excellent pick.

Reminds me of a young Sam Jacobs.

If Cegs isnt playing afl (which he might as rhys isnt durable and sav is no sure thing) he will play the jenkins fwd/ruck mentor role in the 2s..allows neale to develop mainly at chf while his body grows and conway rucks.

I wonder if we try tsapa at CHB as we will need a key back unless we rookie one tomorrow.
BS I hope.

Said this in the list management thread when Cal said we wanted Conway, but I reckon this means the club doesn't rate Tsap and/or Neale as a club as high as we do as ruckmen. Maybe drafting a ruck and not a KPP (especially a KPD) says we think Neale could play back, but his lack of a new contract makes me think he might be leaving after next season.

In terms of timing with the other rucks, the move makes sense. He's already a big boy, so he's every chance to be ready to go in a couple of years. Not who I wanted with our earliest pick, but I won't be complaining if it turns out we finally have a ruckman that's an automatic selection for an extended period.

This pick is the concern. I have seen Neale play heaps in his draft year and he is a very very low chance to make it as a forward. Needs the ball speared onto his chest and the only time he has really been effective as a forward in the VFL has been in one sided thrashings. As a Ruckman he is extremely effective. The fact we picked up Conway tells me we either don't rate Neale or he will go back to WA.

The other part that's frustrating is we will have Tsap, Neale, Conway, Cegs and Sav fighting for ruck time in the VFL. It will be very hard to develop our rucks with so little time in the middle.

Personally think Conway may get to a Nankervis level of player. Servicable but no star. I wish we have kept our picks in the 30s instead of traded

Said this in the list management thread when Cal said we wanted Conway, but I reckon this means the club doesn't rate Tsap and/or Neale as a club as high as we do as ruckmen. Maybe drafting a ruck and not a KPP (especially a KPD) says we think Neale could play back, but his lack of a new contract makes me think he might be leaving after next season.

In terms of timing with the other rucks, the move makes sense. He's already a big boy, so he's every chance to be ready to go in a couple of years. Not who I wanted with our earliest pick, but I won't be complaining if it turns out we finally have a ruckman that's an automatic selection for an extended period.
I think it's more the club being worried by the amount of time Neale has spent back in WA. His insta indicates he has only gone back to Vic in the last day or two, having been training in WA.

Been doing strength training with a personal trainer and looks like he's hitting it hard, but can't help but notice the freo kids training with him up until their preseason started.

I think it's more the club being worried by the amount of time Neale has spent back in WA. His insta indicates he has only gone back to Vic in the last day or two, having been training in WA.

Been doing strength training with a personal trainer and looks like he's hitting it hard, but can't help but notice the freo kids training with him up until their preseason started.
Feels like it would be a weird move to go back to Freo considering Darcy is going to be one of the best rucks in the competition for the next few years, but we don't know what's going on behind closed doors. That combined with him not signing a new deal is definitely a worry.

This pick is the concern. I have seen Neale play heaps in his draft year and he is a very very low chance to make it as a forward. Needs the ball speared onto his chest and the only time he has really been effective as a forward in the VFL has been in one sided thrashings. As a Ruckman he is extremely effective. The fact we picked up Conway tells me we either don't rate Neale or he will go back to WA.

The other part that's frustrating is we will have Tsap, Neale, Conway, Cegs and Sav fighting for ruck time in the VFL. It will be very hard to develop our rucks with so little time in the middle.

Personally think Conway may get to a Nankervis level of player. Servicable but no star. I wish we have kept our picks in the 30s instead of traded
Agree with an of that especially the bolded.

I am having flashbacks to last year of a tall crowded forward line that is easy to flood and rebound from.

Really don't want to see Sav in that role where he just kind of takes a centre bounce and then hangs out looking for an intercept or let out kick around the ground. Also don't want to see him crowding Hawkins space. My strong preference would be to play him in the 2s. So the KPs in the 2s would be

Sav
Ceglar Neale Conway
Tsapatolis
??
SDK

Either Conway is playing KPD for a while to develop, or Neale is gone next year. Can Ceglar pay KPD? How about GFL?

Feels like it would be a weird move to go back to Freo considering Darcy is going to be one of the best rucks in the competition for the next few years, but we don't know what's going on behind closed doors. That combined with him not signing a new deal is definitely a worry.
Depends if they see Neale as a pure ruck or a forward who rucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends if they see Neale as a pure ruck or a forward who rucks.
Even then, I'd only want him for next to nothing if I'm them considering he has very little exposed form in the VFL and they're pretty stacked for tall forwards in the immediate future. Could be planning for Lobb's departure when that happens, but they have him and Taberner as older options, Meek who rotated ruck/forward with Darcy in some games, then Treacy who looks good and Amiss who they just spent pick 8 on. Targeting another young ruck or forward that you'd have to trade for doesn't seem a huge priority.

Funnily enough, I would have wanted Meek off them, but drafting Conway kind of makes that seem pointless.

I’m just not a fan of using decent draft capital to draft a ruck, particularly when we have massive midfield deficiencies. But, he looks a solid enough type albeit an old style type which is completely different to what Wells has desired over the last 10 years with Stanley.

Will take a while but should be a long termer.

To say the club don't rate Neale and Zorba is bullshit, i think the club is just going all out to get a good ruckman, so one of the three will make it be great if 2 or all of them make it

What is wrong with people now you can not pick a kid from another state or they will go home, club don't rate Neale and Tsap do other clubs only have 1 ruckman? really

Not sure I'd be reading too much into him spending time (or extra time) in WA during the off season - don't forget that WA still has their border closed to Vic, so he may not be able to easily go back home once he returns for preseason training

With the border closure it may restricted his options to return home for Xmas when that break in preseason comes, so instead the club allowed him additional time at home during this past period

And if he's been putting it to good use with additional training & weight sessions during his time in WA, isn't that actually a good thing because it shows his commitment to training even when away from the club

To say the club don't rate Neale and Zorba is bullshit, i think the club is just going all out to get a good ruckman, so one of the three will make it be great if 2 or all of them make it
You play one, maximum two rucks in a team. All three of them aren't going to play and they're all in the same age group. You aren't sacrificing two picks if you think the other two are going to be your long-term rucks.

What is wrong with people now you can not pick a kid from another state or they will go home, club don't rate Neale and Tsap do other clubs only have 1 ruckman? really
Other clubs have more than one ruck. Let me flip it for you, though - how many other clubs have picked up three rucks in the same age group in the space of two years? You aren't going to have all three on the list for the next 10 years.

I doubt we dont not rate neale after a year chances are we think hes a forward/ruck more than a proper ruck or they think he will leave. The reality is tsapa is a long shot so we shouldnt be planning for him to make it its a bonus if he does so i can see why we took an extra ruck.

Go Catters

Neale isn't a ruckman. How many times does it need to be said.

He might ruck but hes more a forward who can play 2nd ruck until he gets stronger whereas conway has a better build to be a full time ruck.

You play one, maximum two rucks in a team. All three of them aren't going to play and they're all in the same age group. You aren't sacrificing two picks if you think the other two are going to be your long-term rucks.

Other clubs have more than one ruck. Let me flip it for you, though - how many other clubs have picked up three rucks in the same age group in the space of two years? You aren't going to have all three on the list for the next 10 years.

Neale is a forward ruck and tsapa is a cat b longshot who statistically probably wont make it. And even if he does having three rucks is good because you will get good trade value from one of them. Its not like we spent 3 R1s on rucks in 2 years.

I’m just not a fan of using decent draft capital to draft a ruck, particularly when we have massive midfield deficiencies. But, he looks a solid enough type albeit an old style type which is completely different to what Wells has desired over the last 10 years with Stanley.

Will take a while but should be a long termer.

If i may say it he is the type of ruck we should have been drafting the last 10 years. If anything its a case of better late than never.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back