Player Watch #6 Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

DGB is an interesting case.

I thought he would be an above average third tall, but he hasn't kicked on.

Still time though

This year was going to be an important one for him. Wrong thread but he'd be a guy I'd roll the dice on for a trade though at the right price. It would be a gamble coming off a knee though, a Grundy type of pick given the draft thins MAY be worth the punt.

At the time it was JUH/Logan then Phillips. The one I was wrong so far is Hollands he was the one at the time I was really bullish about.

Same with Gulden as well - But that's for another thread.

Have loved watching us develop a tall, been really exciting to follow.

yes, i feel the same about mcdonald, i think we've done it pretty much right with him, and there's so much to come as he grows up physically ... (my one black mark was him being left out of the 2022 gf side ... although in hindsight it was probably good he missed it)
but i'm convinced he's going to be a star ... he turns 22 tomorrow, yet he's already showing so much ...
he's gonna be very good at 24, 25, with 100 games behind him

yes, i feel the same about mcdonald, i think we've done it pretty much right with him, and there's so much to come as he grows up physically ... (my one black mark was him being left out of the 2022 gf side ... although in hindsight it was probably good he missed it)
but i'm convinced he's going to be a star ... he turns 22 tomorrow, yet he's already showing so much ...
he's gonna be very good at 24, 25, with 100 games behind him
Yep agree 100%. Stuns me that there are so many on here that continually say he's showing nothing and still seem to think he's a long way behind many of the other young forwards in the league

Yep agree 100%. Stuns me that there are so many on here that continually say he's showing nothing and still seem to think he's a long way behind many of the other young forwards in the league

one of the things i think keeps reinforcing my faith in him is that nothing seems to unsettle him, he shows only controlled emotions and he's always been like that ... i reckon that's a really good sign for a highly rated kid
but you can see he's a passionate team player

He's kicking 1.4 goals per game over his career, 2.3 per game so far this year. Those are good numbers for any key forward, let alone a 21 year old.

Boggles my mind those saying he's behind the curve. He's far from the finished product and has plenty to work on, no doubt, but he has shown more than enough.

This year was going to be an important one for him. Wrong thread but he'd be a guy I'd roll the dice on for a trade though at the right price. It would be a gamble coming off a knee though, a Grundy type of pick given the draft thins MAY be worth the punt.

At the time it was JUH/Logan then Phillips. The one I was wrong so far is Hollands he was the one at the time I was really bullish about.

I would happily take both Phillips and DGB on the cheap. I liked both a lot in their draft year.

I would happily take both Phillips and DGB on the cheap. I liked both a lot in their draft year.

Phillips wouldn’t be on the cheap but DGB might who I wasn’t a fan of but many on here were. I’d roll the dice at the right price point though.

He's kicking 1.4 goals per game over his career, 2.3 per game so far this year. Those are good numbers for any key forward, let alone a 21 year old.

Boggles my mind those saying he's behind the curve. He's far from the finished product and has plenty to work on, no doubt, but he has shown more than enough.
I've posted this before, but at the same age, he compares pretty well to:

This doesn't mean he WILL be as good as them, but I keep having discussions with people who think he's disappointing for a 21 (almost 22) year old KPF who spent his first three years getting 1 out of every 10 targets in the forward 50. He absolutely has stuff to work on (me personally, I'd like him to stop trying to take 95% of his marks on his chest) but you'd assume his flaws are areas that could be fixed and improve his output rather than being fatal.

Dont think anyone denies that hes a good player but he shouldnt be paid anything more than a work in progress.

On track sure but paid as someone whos only on track and not break the bank if the rumors of Freo coming hard are true

Phillips wouldn’t be on the cheap but DGB might who I wasn’t a fan of but many on here were. I’d roll the dice at the right price point though.
2021 is turning out to be the weakest draft in decades.

Aside from Errol, there’s not too many players outside the top 10 who’ve developed into quality AFL standard.

And even the top 10 is looking to contain a few potential busts.

Logan was a prudent selection.

I really hope he does stay.

2021 is turning out to be the weakest draft in decades.

Aside from Errol, there’s not too many players outside the top 10 who’ve developed into quality AFL standard.

And even the top 10 is looking to contain a few potential busts.

Logan was a prudent selection.

I really hope he does stay.
He will. Don't worry.

It won't happen but just imagine:
West Coast. Earning 1.6million losing most weeks.
Fremantle: Earning 1.1m Won't win the premiership and blamed by supporters for not doing so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont think anyone denies that hes a good player but he shouldnt be paid anything more than a work in progress.

On track sure but paid as someone whos only on track and not break the bank if the rumors of Freo coming hard are true
That's not really how it works with valuing young kpf. What would your ideal contract for him be?

No more than 750/800k because any higher he’ll be in the top 7/8 of earners in the team and hes no where near the top 7/8 of our best important players

He’s in that range when the alternative is McLean and Amartey somehow getting a score. If he kicks let’s say 40-50 (he’s on track for that) wouldn’t he be in that 8-10 range

If Logan continues his development over the course of say a 4 year contract then he'd absolutely be one of our key players.

You shouldn't pay for past performance and for a 21 year old KPP the rise, you don't pay for current performance either. You pay for what they will deliver over the course of the contract on offer and if Logan keeps going the way he is, he's absolutely going to be worth close to $1M in the current game.

If we let him go to Freo or elsewhere over say $150k per year, we're going to have to pay overs elsewhere for a KPF because Amartey and McLean simply aren't going to cut it.

Remember that Logan has the same manager as Errol. Anyone willing to bet against him coming out with the same deal next week? Perfect for him just as it is for Errol.

Would be a nice twist if Logan signed on for Longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back