Past #6: Jason Horne-Francis [Part II] - NM trade JHF & #1 for Sheezel, Wardlaw, CHarvey & PA 2023 1st - you were never one of us

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I still enjoy the JHF pile-on, wtf is Jon Ralph doing here? It is literally a feature of every Brownlow count that umpires get some games completely wrong. Indeed, it's the only reason Neale won again, as he got votes in games where he was ordinary.

Whilst I still enjoy the JHF pile-on, wtf is Jon Ralph doing here? It is literally a feature of every Brownlow count that umpires get some games completely wrong. Indeed, it's the only reason Neale won again, as he got votes in games where he was ordinary.
Ralph also said he looked at the Neale game and it was wrong.

I think it's fair to put heat on the umps when they've made a decision that obviously bad. I can remember some weird votes in Brownlow history, but those 2 games stand out at the top for sheer absurdity in the fact they got votes.

Ralph also said he looked at the Neale game and it was wrong.

I think it's fair to put heat on the umps when they've made a decision that obviously bad. I can remember some weird votes in Brownlow history, but those 2 games stand out at the top for sheer absurdity in the fact they got votes.

Sure, but it happens every year.

Oh don't worry; you're being more that adequately compensated for the next decade

Hopefully we use our extra picks to poach a number 1 draft pick. We should be in Ashcroft's ear, shouldn't we? *

* I'm joking, of course, but one Port supporter was asserting that number 1 picks are fair game every year and "all clubs would be trying to get him". In glorious ignorance of the fact that it's only happened once in 4 decades.

Hopefully we use our extra picks to poach a number 1 draft pick. We should be in Ashcroft's ear, shouldn't we? *

* I'm joking, of course, but one Port supporter was asserting that number 1 picks are fair game every year and "all clubs would be trying to get him". In glorious ignorance of the fact that it's only happened once in 4 decades.
I'll concede that a No.1 pick going after 1 year is unusual, although to be fair, it's not that unusual for someone who's just signed a contract extension to request a trade, this is similar

What is also unique about the whole thing is your club's situation being somewhat unusual, and admittedly JHF being maybe an unusual character in some regards

Is it wrong? Nah

Clubs are naturally wary of the “go-home factor” when it comes to draftees from interstate, particularly with their early picks. No club can afford a repeat of the Jason Horne-Francis scenario when the No.1 pick from 2021 returned home to South Australia after just one season with North Melbourne.

Reid has a surprisingly strong view on the issue.

“I probably didn’t really look into it too much, but obviously one year, it’s not good,” Reid said. “You’ve had the opportunity to go pick one, they’ve picked you up and whatever pick you go to a club for like one year it’s a bit of a stretch.

“You got to settle in for a bit, and Adelaide 45 minutes on a plane, it’s nothing huge. I’m pretty sure you could settle in and I’m pretty sure the resources, and support a club would show for you and have for you to get past that stage and get to a stage where you feel comfortable with the people around you.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back