Test 5th Test, 1/7/22-5/7/22 Match England v India (Rescheduled)

What will be the result of the test Match?

• India Win

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England Win

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This whole Bazball approach has reaped spectacular dividends for ENG so far, and this would surely rank as one of their greatest ever Test wins.

That being said, I'm getting real #intent vibes. This is basically the same as Darren Lehmann's approach circa 2013-14, except rather than having two bowlers (Harris and Johnson) go nuts, with others contributing from time to time under an attacking captain's leadership, you have...two batsmen (Root and Bairstow) going nuts, with others contributing from time to time under an attacking captain's leadership.

The comparison's even closer because while one player (Harris/Root) was/is an established class act, the other was a destructive but technically flawed player who rode/rides on confidence (Johnson/Bairstow).

Moreover, both sides have two key veterans who were/are seeing out their last years (Clarke & Harris vs Anderson & Broad, although the AUS side would likely have skewed older).

With that in mind, is this approach by ENG sustainable for long, in all conditions? Nope - Bairstow IMO lacks the technique to sustain anything like this run of form, but it does raise questions as to how we should counter them.

I assume that we will test Pope with Lyon, and Root with Green/Cummins/Hazlewood. IMO Bairstow's vulnerable to the inducker because he plays very loosely, and he can look ungainly against a well-directed bouncer. If we get him cheaply a few times, I reckon he loses confidence and that puts pressure on Stokes to score runs. In ENG Stokes is a massive danger because of the shorter boundaries, but we've managed to restrict his effectiveness by using Lyon and cramping him from around the wicket so he can't free his arms as easily, so I assume we'll do that.

Of all our bowlers, Cummins (unsurprisingly) seems to match up best against Bairstow - he won't give him any loose stuff, he has an awkward action which makes his short balls very dangerous, and he can nip the ball in when necessary.

This whole Bazball approach has reaped spectacular dividends for ENG so far, and this would surely rank as one of their greatest ever Test wins.

That being said, I'm getting real #intent vibes. This is basically the same as Darren Lehmann's approach circa 2013-14, except rather than having two bowlers (Harris and Johnson) go nuts, with others contributing from time to time under an attacking captain's leadership, you have...two batsmen (Root and Bairstow) going nuts, with others contributing from time to time under an attacking captain's leadership.

The comparison's even closer because while one player (Harris/Root) was/is an established class act, the other was a destructive but technically flawed player who rode/rides on confidence (Johnson/Bairstow).

Moreover, both sides have two key veterans who were/are seeing out their last years (Clarke & Harris vs Anderson & Broad, although the AUS side would likely have skewed older).

With that in mind, is this approach by ENG sustainable for long, in all conditions? Nope - Bairstow IMO lacks the technique to sustain anything like this run of form, but it does raise questions as to how we should counter them.

I assume that we will test Pope with Lyon, and Root with Green/Cummins/Hazlewood. IMO Bairstow's vulnerable to the inducker because he plays very loosely, and he can look ungainly against a well-directed bouncer. If we get him cheaply a few times, I reckon he loses confidence and that puts pressure on Stokes to score runs. In ENG Stokes is a massive danger because of the shorter boundaries, but we've managed to restrict his effectiveness by using Lyon and cramping him from around the wicket so he can't free his arms as easily, so I assume we'll do that.

Of all our bowlers, Cummins (unsurprisingly) seems to match up best against Bairstow - he won't give him any loose stuff, he has an awkward action which makes his short balls very dangerous, and he can nip the ball in when necessary.

It sets up an interesting and pretty even Ashes next year.

Australia's bowling attack is far superior to India's. Shami looked underdone and Siraj and Thakur were shite trundlers, only Bumrah still a threat and you can't bowl him all day. The odd thing is where are their spinners?

Our top order looks settled though Warner really shouldn't be there next year (retire after Australian summer?). It's not in Root-Bairstow form but it's good enough - everyone contributes and we bat deep.

For England, Lees looks good opening. Crawley and Pope most under threat. They do have openers piling up runs in the county game and these two were considered fortunate to get a game. Expect some rotation out for the South Africa series. For the bowling the big question is will Archer and Stone be back? Can see Broad and Anderson having one last go. Leach has got better but can still be milked.

The Giles / Silverwood era was even worse than the Downtown/Moores Era .
I still cant forget how Giles ordered flat decks for the last Ashes we hosted . Rooty was a terrible captain too.

Im liking this new all out attack approach.

It sets up an interesting and pretty even Ashes next year.

Australia's bowling attack is far superior to India's. Shami looked underdone and Siraj and Thakur were shite trundlers, only Bumrah still a threat and you can't bowl him all day. The odd thing is where are their spinners?

Our top order looks settled though Warner really shouldn't be there next year (retire after Australian summer?). It's not in Root-Bairstow form but it's good enough - everyone contributes and we bat deep.

For England, Lees looks good opening. Crawley and Pope most under threat. They do have openers piling up runs in the county game and these two were considered fortunate to get a game. Expect some rotation out for the South Africa series. For the bowling the big question is will Archer and Stone be back? Can see Broad and Anderson having one last go. Leach has got better but can still be milked.

Boland will be plain destructive on an English green top if they dare prepare it.

Cummins, Hazlewood, Boland and Green in English conditions is miles better than what India served up today.

T20 crickets changed the game, batsmen wouldn't have been able to score this quickly 20 year ago.

Well they could. Without even having to bother thinking of other examples I can tell you the West Indies chased 340 at lords in 1984 in about 60 overs as Gordon Greenidge put on a clinic. I’m sure there’s other examples.

The difference is few teams in the past would nominate the tactic as their front line of play under virtually any circumstances.

India were the better side when the first 4 tests of this series took place. There is a sense of justice though with this series officially going down in the record books as a 2-2 drawn series. I view the Old Trafford test as a forfeit so part of me views England as winners of this series.

Sliding doors moment:
Johnny Bairstow gets recalled to the England side in a series where they are just on their knees. He’s on 60 and has his thumb smashed by Pat Cummins and honestly it’s hard to imagine any player who had already been in the side to that point playing on.

He battles through it and scores a hundred and right now when you consider what his runs have actually achieved as far as influencing results goes and the speed at which he’s scored them, it’s hard to recall a player in 30-40 years who has been in this sort of form.

Unbelievable

Sliding doors moment:
Johnny Bairstow gets recalled to the England side in a series where they are just on their knees. He’s on 60 and has his thumb smashed by Pat Cummins and honestly it’s hard to imagine any player who had already been in the side to that point playing on.

He battles through it and scores a hundred and right now when you consider what his runs have actually achieved as far as influencing results goes and the speed at which he’s scored them, it’s hard to recall a player in 30-40 years who has been in this sort of form.

Unbelievable

Lol you must of missed S Smiths last ashes series in england Phat .....;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Test hundreds scored:

Up to January 2021

Virat Kohli - 27
Steve Smith - 27
Kane Williamson - 24
Joe Root - 17

By July 2022

Joe Root - 28
Virat Kohli - 27
Steve Smith - 27
Kane Williamson - 24
Ah yes Mr Root fantastic batter against anything other than Cummins Hazelwood Boland Starc Lyon Green Bowling at him

Lol you must of missed S Smiths last ashes series in england Phat .....;)

Look that’s probably fair and you won’t hear me say a bad word about smith’s peak years as it’s doubtful anyone in my lifetime has been at that level.

And you can’t ‘blame’ him for this as it has absolutely nothing to do with him because he can only bat in the circumstances in which he comes to the crease. But the fact that Bairstow has done this in 3 consecutive run chases and not just insignificant ones - totals that 9 times out of 10, the defending side will win - it just boggles the mind.

Average of 102, strike rate of exactly 100. Smith I think averaged 112 in that Ashes series. His strike rate was more than respectable and was in the 60s.
Both players did the majority of their scoring with their team in strife.

It’s certainly worth a debate at least

Ah yes Mr Root fantastic batter against anything other than Cummins Hazelwood Boland Starc Lyon Green Bowling at him

He has literally played 2 tests against Boland hasn’t he? You know he has made centuries against attacks that good before yeah?
He’s also scored two hundreds against Starc, Hazlewood, Mitchell Johnson and Nathan Lyon.
Made triple figures against Pattinson, Harris and Siddle, century against Rabada, Morkel, Philander and Maharaj.

Just because he hasn’t scored a tonne against that particular combination of bowlers you just named doesn’t somehow render everything else he’s done obsolete

Should we be disappointed the term ''Boofball'' never caught on?

You can go back even further to 20 years ago when the Aussies were very aggressive with the bat. People found it amazing that they were going near 4 runs an over sometimes.

As you say the question is will this be a sugar hit for a few test series with a new coach or will they be able to do it where ever they play.

I'd say no but you'd think it looks like they will be very competitive at home on their small grounds.

India were the better side when the first 4 tests of this series took place. There is a sense of justice though with this series officially going down in the record books as a 2-2 drawn series. I view the Old Trafford test as a forfeit so part of me views England as winners of this series.

India were in the better position for 80% of this Test

Fairplay to Johnny.

Dream summer for him.

Reminiscent of that Mitchell Johnson one.

Sets up a massive build up for the next 12 months.

If they didn't suck so much in the Ashes, a World Test Championship Aus vs Eng may have been on the cards.

Only chance of that is England routing every team for the rest of the year and Australia creaming South Africa at home.

Back