5 players already signed by GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

3AW Whispers were reporting that Greater Western Sydney had already signed 5 players from other Clubs. Who do you think they are:-

My guess is,

Tom Scully,
Marc Murphy,
Dane Swan,
Daniel Rich,
Trent Cothcin.

A lot of Melbourne teams will feel the pain like Geelong did last year.

Free Agency is here is a big way.

What are other people's thoughts?

Anyone know anything else.

Crikey, if Scully is $1 million a year then so too would be Murphy and Cotchin, Swan would be $1.5m and Rich would be around $800K. With the left over change they could buy Ray Hall, Aisake o'hAilpen and the leftovers from the Prahran Under 9's that Hirdy didn't take with him.

So at this stage it looks like:

Scully
Rich
Murphy
Walker
Pendles (C)

If that list is right then it'd be a real shame for Brisbane and Adelaide...

I think it's a bit ordinary that a team could lose 1 player to GC and then another to GWS.

that list isn't happening, each of those players would be asking for 800k + to leave their respective clubs

not happening

pendles and murphy would both command upwards of 1 mil, and scully is reportedly the same amount

that list isn't happening, each of those players would be asking for 800k + to leave their respective clubs

not happening

pendles and murphy would both command upwards of 1 mil, and scully is reportedly the same amount

..you would assume [rightly or wrongly], that murph/pendles would 'demand' more than what Scully would be offered.. ..the very fact that they need to offer outrageous contracts shows the difficulty that they're up against.. ..not sure about the pies, but the blues and dees would have some wiggle room in their salary caps as well, so both the clubs would be able to offer good deals, perhaps meaning that WS would need to up their ante even more [possibly] to create a bigger gap/difference in the contracts offered..

..in particular for Scully the dees might even be able to arrange their own 3rd party deal signed off by the afl [he could become their marque player], thereby closing the gap between their own and the WS offered contracts..

not happening

Actually they could, given that the AFL is giving them an expanded salary cap (9mil I think?) initially so they could afford to spend 5mil ish on 5 players. The only problem would be if they did that they wouldn't be able to front load any contracts (as GC did with Ablett) so it would cause salary cap problems down the road.

But as far as 2012, I think they could fit those guys under the cap.

Actually they could, given that the AFL is giving them an expanded salary cap (9mil I think?) initially so they could afford to spend 5mil ish on 5 players. The only problem would be if they did that they wouldn't be able to front load any contracts (as GC did with Ablett) so it would cause salary cap problems down the road.

But as far as 2012, I think they could fit those guys under the cap.

Note that the expanded salary cap is to pay for an expanded list.
They could mathematically afford it, but it would put the rest of their list at about minimum wage, which would give them no chance of success.
The Suns went about their recruiting in a much more sensible fashion.

The GWS is definitely not going after Hahn or Lynch. They just don't need those players. The only way I can imagine them getting those older players is if they can't sign any youngsters, and those guys are maybe going to be delisted so they sign them for a very small salary. And even then the better idea is to wait if they are delisted and pick them up in the pre-season draft.

Won't be getting them through actively chasing them though.

Mitch Clark, Marc Murphy and Tom Scully are looking like the early candidates with some decent speculation behind them, and likely to go.

not happening

They could probably front load 3 players contracts...

Maybe $1.5 million in 2012
$1.5 million in 2013
$750,000 in 2014
$650,000 in 2015
$600,000 in 2016

That'd be a 5 year contract for $5million.

Yet still allow space in the salary cap from 2014 onwards when the bulk of the players come off their original 2 year contracts...

..Murphy isn't doing anything different to what he did last contract negotiation, it's only pre-season now.. ..and decent speculation..?..more like a shot in the dark.."journo's" just piling together young out of contract talent, and hoping they get one right [for the most part].. ..last time he signed up mid-year'ish and i expect him to do the same this time around as well.. ..last year it was Gibbs to gc, but he re-signed midyearish as well.. ..the real danger sign is having contract talks delayed until the end of season..

..like taylor walker has just done..

Taylor Walker also putting contract talks on hold until the end of the season.

Man, even I will feel for the crows if he leaves. Hes going to be an out and out star as a power forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Close, replace Pendles with Swan and you have the favoured rumoured players.

..understandable, why you'd say/suggest this.. ..however, everyone can see that Pendles would be the better get [not saying the easiest to poach mind you] for WS, and they'd push more for him if they are a good chance..

..losing swan, being older, and with what you could score for losing him compo wise.. ..makes for far less pain [and even some 'profit'] out of the situation..

Scully
Rich
Murphy
Walker
Pendles (C)

Its really not. I've already posted in this thread the article where rich stated he is looking forward to the years to come with the lions and he wants to win a premiership with them. If we lose a player, it won't be him.

The GWS is definitely not going after Hahn or Lynch. They just don't need those players. The only way I can imagine them getting those older players is if they can't sign any youngsters, and those guys are maybe going to be delisted so they sign them for a very small salary. And even then the better idea is to wait if they are delisted and pick them up in the pre-season draft.

Won't be getting them through actively chasing them though.

Mitch Clark, Marc Murphy and Tom Scully are looking like the early candidates with some decent speculation behind them, and likely to go.

I agree with your thoughts I bolded and underlined. GWS wont prefer to go after 30 year olds on a 2-3 contract for a short term build up. But If I was GWS I would sign both just to Add experience to the team short term. Only upside on getting both is they are solid players and your not going to give a away a early draft pick to get them.

Adelaide only got pick 26 when gold coast got nathan bock who is a 27 year old all australian centre half back on a 3 year contract worth $750,000 a year.

when it comes to compentastion picks, picks are decided on a few things: Age, amount of games that player has played in an amount of years and how good the player is and possibly how long his contract is to his next club. I doubt Gold Coast didnt give Port Adelaide a good pick to Nathan Krakouer. Even though Krakouer is around 22 or 23 years old, hes only played 35 games in 4 years from 2007-2010. had Krakouer played like 70-80 games, port probrably would of got a better pick. Hes on around $450,000 a year for 3 years.

Just Like Gold coast Last year, GWS is going to get picks 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15. I am assuming GWS wants to keep all of them. At the worst Trade just 13 and 15 to get a quality player or 2 and the rest to get the best kids.

one last thing Since your a North Melbourne Fan... If I was a GWS scout if theres definately one Player on North Melbournes List I would definately chase, I would take Hamish McIntosh since hes a ruckman in his mid 20s and is recruited from NSW. I dont know about his contract situation. I would chuck a similar contract to him Just Like Bock had got at gold coast to Lure Him to GWS.

Scully
Rich
Murphy
Walker
Pendles (C)

Pfft. They'd be lucky to get two out of that list let alone all five.

To shift all of them you would need $1m and for Pendlebury you'd need alot more.

So a minimum of $5m+ of the cap on 5 players? I don't think so.

Pfft. They'd be lucky to get two out of that list let alone all five.

To shift all of them you would need $1m and for Pendlebury you'd need alot more.

So a minimum of $5m+ of the cap on 5 players? I don't think so.

Nah Pendlebury is crap, They will get him for a lot less then that.

Collingwood fans are willing Swan to be recruited, that'd be a win for them (under the circumstances). How they managed to offload that dud Fraser to GC astounds me. Pendlebury seems like he'd be harder to attract, he could be Collingwood's future captain, seems like the loyal type as well. Sheedy's stated that he's looking for players in the 20-25 year age bracket, Swan would be on the decline by the time GWS are genuine flag threats. Common sense points to Pendles, but Swan's the easier target.

If they get Pendlebury, Scully, Walker & Murphy that'd be huge

As mentioned before, Rich has come out and said he looks forward to being part of Brisbane's resurgence in the next few years, so that's a pretty strong indicator that he's planning on staying put. I just can't understand why he'd rather stay at Brisbane instead of going to GWS, it's not hard to see who's got a brighter future. Perhaps he knows his limitations and it may be in the best interests of his career that he stays at Brisbane where he'll be guaranteed a midfield spot for years to come, whereas he'll be competing with alot of top end talent in the next 3 or so years if he does sign with GWS

As mentioned before, Rich has come out and said he looks forward to being part of Brisbane's resurgence in the next few years, so that's a pretty strong indicator that he's planning on staying put. I just can't understand why he'd rather stay at Brisbane instead of going to GWS, it's not hard to see who's got a brighter future. Perhaps he knows his limitations and it may be in the best interests of his career that he stays at Brisbane where he'll be guaranteed a midfield spot for years to come, whereas he'll be competing with alot of top end talent in the next 3 or so years if he does sign with GWS

Haha. One of the more fanciful posts I've read.

Daniel Rich would struggle to get a game in GWS's midfield for the next three years? Ahahaha...

Perhaps he wants to stay in Brisbane for more sensible reasons...

- a lot can happen at a football club in the space of a career. He has been at Brisbane for 2 years and already played in two finals.

- he may genuinely love the club and his teammates. Just because the Herald Sun says we are a "rabble" doesn't mean we are.

- When Brown, Black, Fevola and Power retire over the next couple of years there will be plenty of money available, and captaincy up for grabs.

Who knows what will happen... But to suggest that Rich is worried about not getting a game at GWS... Well that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on here.

Fun fact: Rich averaged 2 more possessions a game in 2010 than he did in his rising star year, even though in 2010 he was playing a much more inside role and was wearing the number one tag most weeks. The "he's peaked" thing is one of the most hilarious examples of footy groupthink you'll ever see.

Nah Pendlebury is crap, They will get him for a lot less then that.

Sheeds has more or less said as much. That means all Pies players are safe.:thumbsu::D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back