Senior 5. Abbie McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Good news!

I had no idea we could sign her pre-draft. I wonder which other club placed a bid, maybe just to drive up the cost of her in the draft like how * bid on Jack Silvagni to 'make us pay'

Naturally plays a bit like her dad, who loved to run straight ahead and take the game on when in possession. Will play more midfield (as her dad probably should have at points in his career) though, but has an excellent burst of pace for the size of her frame.

The goal for her over time is similar to a lot of our key midfield and medium players: to refine her body shape, build up running capacity and clean up her foot skills. These all should improve synergistically.

Unfortunately, still very samey compared to our existing midfield contingent, but an excellent player none the less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But was she worth pick 16?

Given the ladder position of last season if we're using our second pick on a sentimental pick rather than best talent available that would be a worry.
She's a balanced mid in the Hosking mould and ready to go. I'd hazard a guess that it was a fair bid.

The draft order is there if you want to see if her talent level was in that range, but I'd suggest as much. She looks like a 10-15 type player.

Article on Abbie McKay becoming AFLW's first father-daughter recruit.

Andrew is pleased the daughter he calls 'Abbs' enjoys the game and is happy to watch her develop from afar under the guidance of AFLW coach Daniel Harford after the Blues used pick 16 to select her after Collingwood's bid during the draft.

Sort of old news, as she was nominated a while back. But now official after the draft. Interesting that she got bid on pretty early.

I love the idea of father-daughter recruits. AFLW is a new competition, and this is a way to create instant nostalgia/connection to players.

Can't wait til Abbie plays her first game for Carlton. Will increase # of her family members to have played for the club from 1-2..... ;)

Article on Abbie McKay becoming AFLW's first father-daughter recruit.

Sort of old news, as she was nominated a while back. But now official after the draft. Interesting that she got bid on pretty early.

I love the idea of father-daughter recruits. AFLW is a new competition, and this is a way to create instant nostalgia/connection to players.

Can't wait til Abbie plays her first game for Carlton. Will increase # of her family members to have played for the club from 1-2..... ;)

Also means that Carlton have the first VFL/AFL father son player and the first AFLW father daughter player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back