Delisted #49: Tom Hird - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Hird didn't have a stand out feature!?

Physically he wasn't the quickest, biggest, highest jumping, strongest, furthest running, or best kicking.

He was just a bloody good footballer. The ability to will oneself to influence a game would be about the most standout attribute he had, which isn't really a measurable one at a draft combine.

Joel Selwood also doesn't have a stand-out feature, but has been one of the best midfielders and Captains in the comp for most of his career because of similar reasons.

Physically he wasn't the quickest, biggest, highest jumping, strongest, furthest running, or best kicking.

He was just a bloody good footballer. The ability to will oneself to influence a game would be about the most standout attribute he had, which isn't really a measurable one at a draft combine.

Joel Selwood also doesn't have a stand-out feature, but has been one of the best midfielders and Captains in the comp for most of his career because of similar reasons.

having an extraordinarily high skull to brain ratio leading to his unique ability to draw free kicks?

having an extraordinarily high skull to brain ratio leading to his unique ability to draw free kicks?

Definitely helps being able to use your head in the same fashion a Rhinoceros does.

Whatever people think of Selwood's ability to draw frees though, he's absolutely tough as nails and has always had that ability to will himself and the entire team that Hird had.

I think he was trying to say Hirdy was exceptionally well-rounded, such that pinpointing one particular stand out trait is difficult.
I took it more to mean Hird didn’t have stand out athletic traits and neither does Tom. So he’s going to need get by on footballing talent like his old man.

Edit: Holy sh*t I got by and buy mixed up.

a little from column a, a little from column b

It seems most draft years each high end player has a stand out feature, the super boot, the pace/evasive guy, the intercept king, the master extractor, the athlete prototype ect

Clearly jimmy didnt have any of those standouts, if he did he would have been drafted before pick 79. If anything what made him draftable by us was his last name

As his career went by i dont think he was a particularly elite kick, wasn't overly athletic or quick but what made him a champion was footy iq and a drive and determination that willed him to the contest and ball before anyone else.

Now his son, who shares the same name (which makes him draftable) is probably in the same camp, no stand out feature but that dosent stamp your papers as an also ran, you just need exceptional footy iq/talent or will and drive.

its now to be determined.

Jim was one of a kind, its a tough act to follow.

Last edited:
Definitely helps being able to use your head in the same fashion a Rhinoceros does.

Whatever people think of Selwood's ability to draw frees though, he's absolutely tough as nails and has always had that ability to will himself and the entire team that Hird had.

in this day and age hird would lose half of his possessions that he used to gain by diving headlong at the ball while taking out the legs of his late arriving opponent

a little from column a, a little from column b

It seems most draft years each high end player has a stand out feature, the super boot, the pace/evasive guy, the intercept king, the master extractor, the athlete prototype ect

Clearly jimmy didnt have any of those standouts, if he did he would have been drafted before pick 79. If anything what made him draftable by us was his last name

As his career went by i dont think he was a particularly elite kick, wasn't overly athletic or quick but what made him a champion was footy iq and a drive and determination that willed him to the contest and ball before anyone else.

Now his son, who shares the same name (which makes him draftable) is probably in the same camp, no stand out feature but that dosent stamp your papers as an also ran, you just need exceptional footy iq/talent or will and drive.

its now to be determined.

Jim was one of a kind, its a tough act to follow.

Maybe draft age Hird this assessment is correct for but cmon. Hird was a great mark, exceptional kick with ability to miracle kicks out of nothing and had a big tank which regularly saw him take a goal saving mark at one end only to bob up for a goal at the other end.

You’re right in saying that Hird got the most out of himself with an amazing work rate combined with a great footy brain but to suggest he wasn’t blessed with stand out skills is way off the mark.

Maybe draft age Hird this assessment is correct for but cmon. Hird was a great mark, exceptional kick with ability to miracle kicks out of nothing and had a big tank which regularly saw him take a goal saving mark at one end only to bob up for a goal at the other end.

You’re right in saying that Hird got the most out of himself with an amazing work rate combined with a great footy brain but to suggest he wasn’t blessed with stand out skills is way off the mark.
I don't mean to diminish a champion, his hands were probably his best quality, could punch above his height in marking duels

in this day and age hird would lose half of his possessions that he used to gain by diving headlong at the ball while taking out the legs of his late arriving opponent
He’d be smart enough to adapt too though. He used that technique at the time because it worked, if it didn’t he’d do something different

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like I'm slammimg Jesus in a church group! It's nothing like that, I love the man too, just respect how much he got out of his package
apt comparison:
Jesus was crucified and then people waited for the second coming.
the second coming of Hird happened and then He was crucified.

Ive always thought Pendulbury can be compared to James Hird in some way. That ability to find time, or read the play that split second before anyone else can. Tom does have a little bit of his old mans ability I think, but enough of it?

Another thing with Hird was if the ball was in his close area at ground level he was rarely beaten. I am with you on his skills. His kicks often looked like floaters but he had an uncanny accuracy around goal as well as setting up play. Most of the early knock on him was really related to him being pretty light body wise.

I don't mean to diminish a champion, his hands were probably his best quality, could punch above his height in marking duels
Hird was an elite contested mark. 188cm and won a brownlow at chf ffs.
Hird's kick for goal in general play was elite, snap from a pack anywhere in the 50 and he would not miss.
Hird's read of the play was elite. Or footy iq if you want to call it such. This is a football attribute.
Hird's running capacity, whilst I'm happy to concede wasn't elite, was a massive strength.

Try to tell me any of these weren't standout qualities.

And from there, perhaps we should let this thread return to discussing his son.

Hird's kick for goal in general play was elite, snap from a pack anywhere in the 50 and he would not miss.
Hird's read of the play was elite. Or footy iq if you want to call it such. This is a football attribute.
Hird's running capacity, whilst I'm happy to concede wasn't elite, was a massive strength.

You’re right, we should go back to talking about Tom’s attributes.

Tom Hird has an elite dad.

Which of those elite attributes stood out? You couldn't narrow it down to one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back