Delisted #49: Tom Hird - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like many on our list he needs to bulk up, that the only main concern I have for him so far.

This is an understatement, look how smol he is compared to McBride!

PlayerResigning-MH900x560.jpg

Looking over recent B&F’s and my boy (yep, claimed him) finished fourth in our VFL best and fairest.

I’m as excited for Tom as I am all the other guys around that age but I’m a different way. Just to see a Hird run out in the red and black would genuinely bring a tear to my eye and one I was disappointed we did not do this year but understandably denied with impending finals on the cards.

Looking medium to long term and he really could be an elusive and clever small half forward. Coaches raved about his development over the past 18 months. Keen to see where he is at in 12 more months.

Go well in ‘22 Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought he improved a heap over the year but I am not sold yet. For a small bloke he has nothing that he does with any X factor which can be an issue with the small players. My opinion is Cahill showed a lot more but he is now gone.

Thought he improved a heap over the year but I am not sold yet. For a small bloke he has nothing that he does with any X factor which can be an issue with the small players. My opinion is Cahill showed a lot more but he is now gone.
Yeah but Cahill’s great-grandfather’s grandstand is just two cardboard boxes in a garden shed in Coburg

Cahill definitely showed more but his upside seemed pretty limited. I agree that it’s hard right now to see Hird starring at AFL level, but at least he is improving rapidly. His best level is still unknown.

At the end of the day who cares if one is a rookie and one was taken in the ND and came through the system.
As I said he improved a heap as the season went along but he is still not at the level of another young bloke that got delisted because he did not have anything special about him other than good endurance and a bit of footy smarts. I do not care if his name is Hird. I just evaluate the evidence that is there.
He has to improve twice as much again to be an average AFL player IMO. He could have that in him but he is still a long way back.
Not much being said about Alex recently either.

Cat B rookies are outside the main list, right? Or have I got it wrong? My point is if he was taking up a list spot, maybe he might have gone the same way as Cahill. But he's, what, keeping another speculative Cat B rookie off the list instead? Not much harm in that. Of course, unless I've got it wrong and Cat B takes away from a main list spot.

Cat B rookies are outside the main list, right? Or have I got it wrong? My point is if he was taking up a list spot, maybe he might have gone the same way as Cahill. But he's, what, keeping another speculative Cat B rookie off the list instead? Not much harm in that. Of course, unless I've got it wrong and Cat B takes away from a main list spot.
I have no issue with him getting another year. He improved enough to earn it. My point is I am not getting too excited as he has to still find a lot to make it. Hope he does but I am saying 30/70 at this stage.

As Ant555 said, Tom Hird doesn't have any standout features. Although apart from height/size, he also doesn't have any major weaknesses. Which means he's really totally relying on footy IQ, the ability to just be in/run to the right place, get it, make good decisions. This is the skill which would be most hurt by not playing junior football, and the one which did seem to improve a lot over the year. Early on I didn't think he had anywhere near enough, but near the end he was impacting games much more.

However, he definitely still has a way to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Ant555 said, Tom Hird doesn't have any standout features. Although apart from height/size, he also doesn't have any major weaknesses. Which means he's really totally relying on footy IQ, the ability to just be in/run to the right place, get it, make good decisions. This is the skill which would be most hurt by not playing junior football, and the one which did seem to improve a lot over the year. Early on I didn't think he had anywhere near enough, but near the end he was impacting games much more.

However, he definitely still has a way to go.

id put forward the contention his old man didnt have a stand out feature either, pretty much relied on footy iq and outstanding will and determination (in hindsight i guess thats a stand out feature in itself)

id put forward the contention his old man didnt have a stand out feature either, pretty much relied on footy iq and outstanding will and determination (in hindsight i guess thats a stand out feature in itself)
Um, what?
James Hird didn't have a stand out feature!?
Not your best work.

I think he was trying to say Hirdy was exceptionally well-rounded, such that pinpointing one particular stand out trait is difficult.

I took it more to mean Hird didn’t have stand out athletic traits and neither does Tom. So he’s going to need get by on footballing talent like his old man.

Edit: Holy s**t I got by and buy mixed up.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back