Player Watch #45: Patrick Naish - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

The mature and professional thing to do was for the club to tell Naish and his manager the second they knew that he was going to be delisted. The ‘amateur hour’ thing would be to tell him 2-3 weeks ‘after’ they knew because they didn’t want to hurt his feelings or wanted to wait until they delisted someone else so they could have some form of pity party together.

Seriously some of you people in here it’s professional sport, not Auskick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah agree with everything above. It was interesting to see that Patty was part of the Jeep photo shoot that the club did yesterday. So clearly no love lost with the club and possibly the potential of being redrafted as a rookie. But I'd say more likely just happy to be around the club for the time being.

Yeah agree with everything above. It was interesting to see that Patty was part of the Jeep photo shoot that the club did yesterday. So clearly no love lost with the club and possibly the potential of being redrafted as a rookie. But I'd say more likely just happy to be around the club for the time being.

I think that photo was taken a few weeks back

I think that photo was taken a few weeks back
Yeah think it was from a week or two ago but some of his Instagram posts indicate he was still around the club this week
He is also still liking club related posts so definitely looks like he isn’t harbouring any animosity towards the club

Just on the Higgins trade i dont believe we were hard enough at the trade table for a player that was still under contract
We should have stuck to our guns and demanded a 1st rounder or no deal. 1st round pick with a 3rd going back or no deal should have been the demand.

We should have had the saints 1st rounder this year
Agree completely, soft weak negotiation, we used a first round pick to draft him put 50 games into him AND he was under contract.

The mature and professional thing to do was for the club to tell Naish and his manager the second they knew that he was going to be delisted. The ‘amateur hour’ thing would be to tell him 2-3 weeks ‘after’ they knew because they didn’t want to hurt his feelings or wanted to wait until they delisted someone else so they could have some form of pity party together.

I have seen better two way runners than Naish at Auskick

Gosh the rubbish in this thread...

Naish was 100% dead weight. FOUR years on the AFL list. Very good at VFL level, quite useless at AFL level. Simply not up to it. He can play but he will never make it on the big stage unless he is carried by a superior team, which we are not anymore.

Just another short, bruise-free, unaccountable, hand-ball receiving kid who can kick alright. We have enough of those. You want to see a short bloke worth keeping? See Baker, Rioli (off HBF), Bolton etc. At least those blokes play close, physical and accountable football.

IMO Naish will do a Menadue. Maybe get a few games at a bottom-dwelling club but they also realise he's mediocre and eventually delist him so that he has a very successful and respectable amateur career.

And not a single father-son kid will pay any attention to Pat's outcome. Including his brother Charlie. Why? Because dad will tell them that you need to be in the top 1% for genetic predisposition of physical ability + football intelligence + effort, all in a professional environment, to make it big. Nothing wrong with not being THAT good. Very few are.

yep stoked for him - copped a lot of s**t around here for my continued support of him, despite he clearly looking like our best player every week in the VFL. The kid could play & i think the club needs to have a good hard think to why we continue to fail with getting the best out of certain types of players like Patrick. The club does a great job developing kids, but player types like Patrick we have been pretty crap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

been killing it at eagles since he got here.
WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO MAKE IT AT RICHMOND WHILE WE WERE WINNING FLAGS. BUT IS CLEARLY GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY IN A BOTTOM 4 TEAM.

been killing it at eagles since he got here.
He’s always had talent and skills the knocks here were that he’s really soft and avoids contact

Hopefully he goes on to have a great career

He’s always had talent and skills the knocks here were that he’s really soft and avoids contact

Hopefully he goes on to have a great career
Happy and glad for him to do well. He was just too slow/one-paced for me, had no burst at all. But the ship sailed forever when his effort against the Suns last year basically cost us the game. Hard to coach a harder edge into players.

yep stoked for him - copped a lot of s**t around here for my continued support of him, despite he clearly looking like our best player every week in the VFL. The kid could play & i think the club needs to have a good hard think to why we continue to fail with getting the best out of certain types of players like Patrick. The club does a great job developing kids, but player types like Patrick we have been pretty crap
What is ‘his type’?

Serious question….

Gosh the rubbish in this thread...

Naish was 100% dead weight. FOUR years on the AFL list. Very good at VFL level, quite useless at AFL level. Simply not up to it. He can play but he will never make it on the big stage unless he is carried by a superior team, which we are not anymore.

Just another short, bruise-free, unaccountable, hand-ball receiving kid who can kick alright. We have enough of those. You want to see a short bloke worth keeping? See Baker, Rioli (off HBF), Bolton etc. At least those blokes play close, physical and accountable football.

IMO Naish will do a Menadue. Maybe get a few games at a bottom-dwelling club but they also realise he's mediocre and eventually delist him so that he has a very successful and respectable amateur career.

And not a single father-son kid will pay any attention to Pat's outcome. Including his brother Charlie. Why? Because dad will tell them that you need to be in the top 1% for genetic predisposition of physical ability + football intelligence + effort, all in a professional environment, to make it big. Nothing wrong with not being THAT good. Very few are.
Absolutely spot on.

Think his card was marked when he absolutely squibbed a few contests when the game was on the line (both Gold Coast and Collingwood seem to stick out in my memory).

Hope he enjoys his footy because I don't think he'll cut it one way or another.

What is ‘his type’?

Serious question….

smaller, thinner body types, with a "skills first" game style, but lacks toughness & a bit of courage due to a small body frame. . beautiful long kick that coould have been used as a long bomb goal kicking HFF with a longterm role on a wing in mind. Edwards is probably the closest example of a player we did succeed at with this type - whereas Corey Ellis, Fiora & Danny Meyer are guys that come to mind of ones we failed to develop with high picks.

Naish was actually quite adept at getting in there and trying to lay a tackle, apply pressure - but he lacked the body strength. Its why i liked him - he had the right intentions but required more mass but also time in the seniors to get the required confidence.

People forget, Edwards spent the first 5 years of his career getting thrown around like a kid and had muppet arms & Alex Rance had a terrible habit of being a massive deer in headlights when confronted with forward pressure with the ball in his hands. Some players just take a bit longer to get that "100 mile stare" - but those 2 boys are great examples of the rewards of being patient with talent

Last edited:
Thought he was stiff to be delisted but he doesn't have the physicality or ability to get back into defence and chop out in the air that Dimma wants in his wingers. He was always capable of playing good footy, but not for us. Gaff and Naish will get plenty of the ball on the wings for Eagles but they'll go missing when needed.

smaller, thinner body types, with a "skills first" game style, but lacks toughness & a bit of courage due to a small body frame. . beautiful long kick that coould have been used as a long bomb goal kicking HFF with a longterm role on a wing in mind. Edwards is probably the closest example of a player we did succeed at with this type - whereas Corey Ellis, Fiora & Danny Meyer are guys that come to mind of ones we failed to develop with high picks.

Naish was actually quite adept at getting in there and trying to lay a tackle, apply pressure - but he lacked the body strength. Its why i liked him - he had the right intentions but required more mass but also time in the seniors to get the required confidence.

People forget, Edwards spent the first 5 years of his career getting thrown around like a kid and had muppet arms & Alex Rance had a terrible habit of being a massive deer in headlights when confronted with forward pressure with the ball in his hands. Some players just take a bit longer to get that "100 mile stare" - but those 2 boys are great examples of the rewards of being patient with talent

Yep. He tried but simply couldn't do the physical stuff. Glad he is doing well. Hope the club has a bit of a think about why. Maybe we simply would rather a KMac than Naish type. Then don't recruit the Naish type. Although if he had filled out I reckon he could have been fairly solid in our game plan.

Good on him.

lol - what the heck are you on about? No one is pissing on the club telling him early he is not required - people are just saying he has clearly come along well and playing good footy elsewhere & that the club has a fairly poor strike rate when it comes to developing players of his type.

No one from what i can see is pissing on the club for their handling of letting him go - its more a commentary on the clubs handling of his development and talents & supporting him to work through his weaknesses

gary coleman wtf GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back