Player Watch #45: Patrick Naish - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on the Higgins trade i dont believe we were hard enough at the trade table for a player that was still under contract
We should have stuck to our guns and demanded a 1st rounder or no deal. 1st round pick with a 3rd going back or no deal should have been the demand.

We should have had the saints 1st rounder this year
r1 wasnt his market value , who are you kidding. it needs to be based on performance , he was outside of the senior team for last 10w of the season and didnt exactly kill it earlier on

r1 wasnt his market value , who are you kidding. it needs to be based on performance , he was outside of the senior team for last 10w of the season and didnt exactly kill it earlier on

Calf injury though.

I thought 43 of a possible 69 games, considering brain surgery and a calf injury is quite good output in a top4 team.

The biggest weakness for mine with Naish was that, constantly, he would be standing around guarding completely useless space, looking clueless. He didn't understand our gameplan.
TBF - our gameplan fell apart this year.

He certainly lacked intensity. Whilst Mansall cemented his spot pretty early, it's easy to see the difference between the two. One plays like a choir boy, the other? A bricklayer.

Thanks Paddy. Good luck.

Be interesting to see what comes next. Clear strengths and weaknesses, so everyone knows what they're getting. Walk-up start at VFL level. Interest at AFL level? Not holding my breath, but we've seen more limited players eke out an AFL season or two.

The biggest weakness for mine with Naish was that, constantly, he would be standing around guarding completely useless space, looking clueless. He didn't understand our gameplan.
Good Luck Paddy., Spot on here. He did look lost at sea ewhrn it came to this and didnt have the physicality to impact when the plan needed him to hold up and create pressure. That said awesome bloke probably one of the best clubmen, just the way the side is....

Can't believe the actions of the club sometimes. Not going to rant about Naish getting played out of position, not getting rewarded for reserves form or getting a solid block of games in ones to build his confidence. Just disappointed that in the 10 days since conclusion of season the only change thus far is on day one we're told that Naish was so putrid he must vacate immediately!!!! Despite some reports by journalists Eggmolesse Smith hasn't been let go yet. And there have been no other delistings whatsoever in the 9 days since. At the very least I can't see why they didn't wait to announce a few delistings all at once. It's not a good look and I'm sure past players aren't thrilled by it either. We've had very few father sons over the journey and I think despite not turning into a Matthew Richardson type career he deserved better on departure. There's been plenty of father sons who declined going to their fathers team and I'd hate to think that could potentially happen to us in future. Actions have consequences.

Can't believe the actions of the club sometimes. Not going to rant about Naish getting played out of position, not getting rewarded for reserves form or getting a solid block of games in ones to build his confidence. Just disappointed that in the 10 days since conclusion of season the only change thus far is on day one we're told that Naish was so putrid he must vacate immediately!!!! Despite some reports by journalists Eggmolesse Smith hasn't been let go yet. And there have been no other delistings whatsoever in the 9 days since. At the very least I can't see why they didn't wait to announce a few delistings all at once. It's not a good look and I'm sure past players aren't thrilled by it either. We've had very few father sons over the journey and I think despite not turning into a Matthew Richardson type career he deserved better on departure. There's been plenty of father sons who declined going to their fathers team and I'd hate to think that could potentially happen to us in future. Actions have consequences.
Let's look at what happened. In his meeting, Naish was told he would not be offered a contract next year.
We don't know what other players have been told.
You then make up a bunch of stuff about how we did it and how past players feel about it and what potential father sons may feel about it. You then get upset about the stuff you made up.
My suggestion is if the stories you are creating are upsetting, stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can guarantee you not one future father/son draftee will be thinking "but look what happened to Naish" when thinking about nominating Richmond.

There were a few who kept their place in the side guarding space all season

Let's look at what happened. In his meeting, Naish was told he would not be offered a contract next year.
We don't know what other players have been told.
You then make up a bunch of stuff about how we did it and how past players feel about it and what potential father sons may feel about it. You then get upset about the stuff you made up.
My suggestion is if the stories you are creating are upsetting, stop.
So where are the other delisting? Or is he going to be the only one surely they have had their exit interviews or is Hardwick too busy banging his new lady?

So where are the other delisting? Or is he going to be the only one surely they have had their exit interviews or is Hardwick too busy banging his new lady?
Dunno. That was my point.

Sounds like you're bringing a story that upsets you into this too.
Some people's obsession with the coach's sex life is perplexing.

So let’s understand what you are saying here Naishy…😂

….if the club decides after considering all factors that it makes sense to delist Naish the first day post-season and retain some others for now including Derek, they should retain Patrick on the list until they find someone else to delist along with him….because if you are going to be delisted, it would be much better to find out later than earlier, especially if your father previously player for the club. 🤪

Do I have that right? 😉

In all seriousness, like a lot of things the club does, it looks curious initially looking in from the outside. I am wondering if there might be some other factors the footy department is considering with some of these other seemingly obvious delist candidates like Egg-Smith and Garthwaite, that didn’t apply to P Naish, like:

- they are showing greater improvement in the weaker areas of their games,
- the club is waiting to get a clearer picture regarding what the trade period and draft might produce before delisting further players, remembering Houli has been “retired” from a position that Egg-Smith plays, and Astbury retired from a position similar to what Garth plays.

Regarding someone like Egg-Smith, could it also be there is a conflict between the list management boss and the coach about him which needs sorting out, or something along those lines?

Maybe , but surely others were told, the club has only confirmed Nash not getting a contract, so ergo all others are required, pretty piss pooor IMO
We don't know, maybe Naish fronted Dimma and asked so his manager could get active. Maybe they are working out how many list spots are available. Maybe Pickett want's home, Caddy wants a trade, Chol?? etc etc. Nobody knows, but I doubt there would anything untoward about the process. Those on the way out probably know it already or have a fair idea.

I think you’ll find (much like Dunstan at the Saints) that RFC knew they weren’t going to offer him a new Contract but that Naish would still have a likely chance of another club picking him up.

By delisting him early it gives Naish and his manager the most amount of time to find a new home. You may say ‘well why not trade him’ and that’s because we are likely to only get a minimal pick back (that we aren’t likely to use), or teams (Collingwood mainly, who have pick 2 in PSD) would just force the player into the PSD (Adelaide did this last year with Hately).

Naish not getting a Contract would be something that would always have been spoken about during the season (and as I understand it, a trade was explored with Collingwood) so it shouldn’t come as a shock. It may sounds counter intuitive, but this is actually the best thing for the player, giving them the most opportunity to make another AFL list.

Think that you will find most kids (and their fathers) will accept the fact that the AFL is a business, and these sort of decisions are made. It shouldn’t hurt our future father/ sons (although Charlie Naish is most likely next one so we shall see) but you also can’t string players that won’t get games along purely for good optics for potential father/sons (whomever they may be) who may not be good anyway.

I also think you will find that RFC has got a reputation within the industry recently of doing the best for its players. That probably means more to potential father/sons than delisting Naish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back