Player Watch #45: Patrick Naish - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely spot on.

Think his card was marked when he absolutely squibbed a few contests when the game was on the line (both Gold Coast and Collingwood seem to stick out in my memory).

Hope he enjoys his footy because I don't think he'll cut it one way or another.
Mmm thats interesting to know, hate squibs. We sat there persevering with josh hill for years but every time it was his turn to go in he hung back.

Mmm thats interesting to know, hate squibs. We sat there persevering with josh hill for years but every time it was his turn to go in he hung back.

He’s a lovely kick with reasonable skills, but he will inevitably let you down in a hot contest.

After a few contests in big moments last year I lost all trust. Genuinely would love to see him turn it around as he’s a cracking bloke and great clubman.

He’s a lovely kick with reasonable skills, but he will inevitably let you down in a hot contest.

After a few contests in big moments last year I lost all trust. Genuinely would love to see him turn it around as he’s a cracking bloke and great clubman.

Got caught HTB 2-3 times in the 3Q this week when the heat went on.

Think with enough regular games he can start minimising the impact of that flaw, but right now he's still a bit suspect.

Not going to hurt the Eagles in the short term, gonna be quite a while before they're contending again.

I am sad we got rid of this guy. He is dominating for WCE. Despite this, I doubt Hardwick would have ever played him. Would of been nice if we played him more so we could of got a trade. This decision could embarrass us.

View attachment 1374073
Zero tackles whilst WCE are losing 0-50 half way though second quarter. I loved this guy but you can see why Dimma did not play him

To put that into context, he is averaging 2.2 tackles a game.

Thats is

2 more a game than Ralph-Smith, Dusty
1 or More a game than Short, KMac, Shai Bolton,
1 more a game than Baker, Parker, Shane Edwards,, Jack Ross, Jason Castagna, Dion Prestia, Nathan Broad,

He is averaging less than >1 a game than famous "tackling Machines" Jack Graham, Marlion Pickett, Dan Rioli

To put it into further context - his current tackle count would have him "Top 5" at Richmond this year.

His 22 disposals a game would have him 2nd at the club, behind only J.Short.

His total kicks a game (which was his known strength) has him currently ranked 59th in the league, which would have him 3rd at Tigerland behind Short & Broad.

His Rebound 50's average has him ranked 30th in the entire league.

For total Meters Gained he is currently ranked 30th in the entire league, which would put him 2nd to only J.Short again at Tigerland.

His TOG% is in the top 15 (so unlike RCD, he clearly has a tank)

His disposal Eff% is not awesome at 65%, but when you look further at that number he is higher, or within 2% of Sloane, Dangerfield, Viney, Bolton, Bailey Smith, Joel Selwood, Clayton Oliver, Cotchin, Petracca, Wines, T.Miller, T.Kelly.... the list goes on and on

His biggest weakness is certainly turnovers, which he is ranked 11th on "per game" - but for a kid who just played his 14th game playing in a team that is really under the pump and lacking so much leadership and experience, he is having a real crack and showing despite his weakness, he definitely has some very solid strengths to work with.

His turnovers are his biggest weakness and its showing still, but to be fair, i think he is being asked to do way too much & he has only been in their system for 2 months & is almost playing with an entirely new team of players each week due to the Eagles current H&S problems. It would be fairly unfair to not take that into account - hard to know what your gameplan & teammates are going to do when you have been there such a short time & had no continuity in players - the Eagles are the worst team in TO's overall.

To put that into context, he is averaging 2.2 tackles a game.

Thats is

2 more a game than Ralph-Smith, Dusty
1 or More a game than Short, KMac, Shai Bolton,

He is averaging less than >1 a game than famous "tackling Machines" Jack Graham, Marlion Pickett, Dan Rioli

To put it into further context - his current tackle count would have him "Top 5" at Richmond this year.

His 22 disposals a game would have him 2nd at the club, behind only J.Short.

His total kicks a game (which was his known strength) has him currently ranked 59th in the league, which would have him 3rd at Tigerland behind Short & Broad.

His Rebound 50's average has him ranked 30th in the entire league.

For total Meters Gained he is currently ranked 30th in the entire league, which would put him 2nd to only J.Short again at Tigerland.

His TOG% is in the top 15 (so unlike RCD, he clearly has a tank)

His disposal Eff% is not awesome at 65%, but when you look further at that number he is higher, or within 2% of Sloane, Dangerfield, Viney, Bolton, Bailey Smith, Joel Selwood, Clayton Oliver, Cotchin, Petracca, Wines, T.Miller, T.Kelly.... the list goes on and on

His biggest weakness is certainly turnovers, which he is ranked 11th on "per game" - but for a kid who just played his 14th game playing in a team that is really under the pump and lacking so much leadership and experience, he is having a real crack and showing despite his weakness, he definitely has some very solid strengths to work with.

His turnovers are his biggest weakness and its showing still, but to be fair, i think he is being asked to do way too much & he has only been in their system for 2 months & is almost playing with an entirely new team of players each week due to the Eagles current H&S problems. It would be fairly unfair to not take that into account - hard to know what your gameplan & teammates are going to do when you have been there such a short time & had no continuity in players - the Eagles are the worst team in TO's overall.
He squibs contests. He is unaccountable and last night he was directly responsible for at least 2 of the Swans goals. Very glad we have cut him to give proper footballers like Ralphsmith a go.

He squibs contests. He is unaccountable and last night he was directly responsible for at least 2 of the Swans goals. Very glad we have cut him to give proper footballers like Ralphsmith a go.

Cool. I would have much rathered we stuck with him over Ross, which is a far better comparison considering their age, lack of opportunity. I think the narrative that he squibs contest is very overrated - you don't become a competitive beast without game time & players of his skillset almost always take longer to develop in that area.

He is averaging nearly 7 contested possessions a game - that is more than our entire side except Cotchin, Bolton & Dow (9), Prestia (8), Parker (7.7) & Pickett (7)

For a guy who squibs contest he would be our 8th highest Contested Possession getter & our 5th highest tackler atm - its a hard argument to keep making

Sometimes you need to just admit that the kid is doing really well and isnt as weak as many here like to crap on about. I watched him very closely over the the last half of the VFL season & he was clearly a much improved player in all those areas. Yep, he has 1 or 2 glarring moments a game, but so did Rance for his first 50 games.

Kid is a hard worker, there is not doubting that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smaller, thinner body types, with a "skills first" game style, but lacks toughness & a bit of courage due to a small body frame. . beautiful long kick that coould have been used as a long bomb goal kicking HFF with a longterm role on a wing in mind. Edwards is probably the closest example of a player we did succeed at with this type - whereas Corey Ellis, Fiora & Danny Meyer are guys that come to mind of ones we failed to develop with high picks.

Naish was actually quite adept at getting in there and trying to lay a tackle, apply pressure - but he lacked the body strength. Its why i liked him - he had the right intentions but required more mass but also time in the seniors to get the required confidence.

People forget, Edwards spent the first 5 years of his career getting thrown around like a kid and had muppet arms & Alex Rance had a terrible habit of being a massive deer in headlights when confronted with forward pressure with the ball in his hands. Some players just take a bit longer to get that "100 mile stare" - but those 2 boys are great examples of the rewards of being patient with talent
Pickett was favoured in the position he could play , prob leading bf right now , right decision was made every day of the week
Good luck to naishy seems a good kid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back