Delisted #45: Alec Waterman - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Said this in the draft thread but he has never really been a just a forward. Has played there after he come back from missing over two years through illness but he was an inside midfielder when he was drafted. Obviously he played forward for Claremont in 2019 and 2020 and did well enough but we where really looking at him building up the tank again and looking to get him back to playing more midfield.
I still like what he can do as a forward but he is a lead up forward who needs space to work in and would only really be effective in a side playing two decent KP forwards and a few good pressure forwards.

Waterman explained how his son first learnt about the condition which knocked him around while he was with the Eagles.

“He was playing for East Perth, the aligned club with the Eagles, back in ’15,” added Alec’s old man.

“He came home on a Saturday morning and he was really crook. They had a East Perth-West Perth derby on the Monday and he managed to get up for it. Then on the Tuesday the Eagles did his blood test and they said, ‘you’ve got glandular fever’.

“He eventually found out it was adrenal fatigue so he had to learn about that for the next 18 months. There’s no medical prescription for it, so it was just about living a very healthy life.

“It just takes time. It can take someone two weeks, it can take someone 10 years.”

As Waterman started to feel better, he slowly got involved in footy again and eventually returned to the playing field with Claremont in the WAFL.

Waterman Snr continued: “He started moving back into footy. He was coaching an under-16s team, he started doing some running for the reserves at Claremont and then towards the end of ’18 he rang me up and said, ‘I’m going to have a crack at the ressies tomorrow’.

“The first thing I said was, ‘You better ring them up because the team list went out last night!’.

“He did that and just pottered around. He was out there playing, running around with a smile on his face. I remember thinking, ‘This is it, I’m happy with this because he’s just enjoying it’.

“That was towards the end of ’18 and now he’s popped on an AFL list so it’s a pretty big effort.”

The midfielder-turned-forward also had to endure three broken ribs and a punctured lung after playing for the Tigers against brother Jake in 2019.

“He couldn’t run or do anything for six weeks and he was dying to do something.”

Waterman himself explained how he kept busy by helping prepare Fremantle draftee Joel Western for life in the AFL.

“I didn’t do a lot for a while (after being delisted by West Coast),” he said on Sportsday.

“I did a bit of coaching for a family friend and his young kid, who’s now at Fremantle which is pretty funny.

“(His name is) Joel Western who went at pick 54 (last year), he’s an exciting player as well so we’ll see if he gets a game. If not, I guarantee he’ll be thereabouts this year so keep an eye on him.

“The (break) was really good, I filled in time and took my time in getting back – I enjoyed playing with some mates at local footy, back to reserves at Claremont and then played WAFL footy in 2019 and 2020.”

Alec Waterman

Key stats: 12 disposals, five marks, two tackles

“It was a quieter game than usual for him, he’s usually been good when he’s played VFL. He played pretty high as a forward. He had some moments where he looked dangerous and showed his great decision-making and skill execution. When he was involved in the play, he did impact the game, but he didn’t impact the scoreboard this week.”

I like the bloke but how is he still on the list?
Probably just waiting to see how our trade period finishes up/if anyone else is interested, I'd still be pretty surprised if he's re-signed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on. Virtually zero depth in that area.
Not happy with all of Menzies, Wanganeem Snelling, Perkins, at a stretch Davey (x 2) and the very real possibility of Harry Sheezel?

what bought on this cheap shot today?
No cheap shot, lets just call it, a discussion point

Not happy with all of Menzies, Wanganeem Snelling, Perkins, at a stretch Davey (x 2) and the very real possibility of Harry Sheezel?

No cheap shot, lets just call it, a discussion point
okay what ever you want to call it - what bought this on today?

to be fair, the drafting threads are getting boring talking about the same repetitive names.. We are getting one of 4 blokes and then possibly someone at 22 that no one wants to talk about.

I think Waterman's list spot could be looked at, but I'd have thought that Ham would be gone before him. Then again it might come down to list balance after trades and draft are done.

Delisted.

Thanks Alec. Unfortunately too small to be a key forward and not a big enough tank to play in the middle. Wish him all the best in the future.

It's a pity Glandular fever really seemed to derail him.

Wouldn't be surprised if someone else picks him up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back