Player Watch #43: Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people are being a bit harsh on him. Yes he has his knocks - that's why he was competing for the last spot on the list against other undrafted/delisted players. We've been a bit spoilt in the past with stack and pickett who are both high potential players overlooked for other reasons, in all likelihood none of the players competing for this supplementary spot end up getting a game. If they were all guns/potential starters they would have been picked up way earlier!

At least Egg fits in well with the group, and if we have a spate of injuries he's hardly the worst option.

His disposal and vision and excellent, he has speed too, now he has a tank as well.

once he visits the wizard of oz for some courage then he would be future best 22.
Have mentioned this before but DES did not come through the usual footy channels. Football in Sunraysia is fairly bruise free. Massive grounds, dry conditions, everyone knows everyone up to a point. Very few hard men in the footy up here. And DES being a very skinny and elusive kid, never really had to get the hard ball himself. Even in his one year at senior level it was get the ball out to him and let him run. He was only 17 and still very slight. Very few TAC cup games, taken into the academy and has done a fantastic job to get where he has.

Not surprised at all that he has taken a bit more time than most to learn the hard side of AFL footy. Pretty sure some of his efforts last year will steel him up, has a fair bit of talent, so great that he has been given another chance.

Reading between the lines a little bit but in the interview with him posted on the club website it seemed he really also struggled in the hub environment I know his partner was expecting their first child as well so it’s fair to say his head wasn’t completely in it last season

Looks like he’s done a lot of work over the pre season (noticeably bigger across the shoulders) and focused on getting the best out of himself

He's worth a bit of time and patience, I'm really happy he'll get another season to give it his best shot.

Let's not forget that there was plenty of people lining up to knock Shorty's courage, hardness and defensive capacity even this time last year (to the point they insisted he wasn't even best-22 and was being 'carried' in the role he played) and as I said then, you've got to back these kind of athletic, high skill players to keep chipping away at their deficiencies.

Their upside is really obvious, no problem with attitude or commitment and they're in the best learning environment in the competition.

Best of luck to him. :thumbsu:

He's worth a bit of time and patience, I'm really happy he'll get another season to give it his best shot.

Let's not forget that there was plenty of people lining up to knock Shorty's courage, hardness and defensive capacity even this time last year (to the point they insisted he wasn't even best-22 and was being 'carried' in the role he played) and as I said then, you've got to back these kind of athletic, high skill players to keep chipping away at their deficiencies.

Their upside is really obvious, no problem with attitude or commitment and they're in the best learning environment in the competition.

DES has good vision and evasion, and an excellent short kick, so they are good traits to have.

Brandon Ellis hardness was called out too. By Bruce of all people. Egg has skills. If the club chose Egg there must be good reason. It's the last spot on the list. Speculative position.

Brandon Ellis hardness was called out too. By Bruce of all people. Egg has skills. If the club chose Egg there must be good reason. It's the last spot on the list. Speculative position.
Remember the melts when we drafted Aarts from our VFL side?, Baker in the rookie draft? Or persisted with Soldo year after year with little return

You would think by now our recruitment staff would have enough chips in the bank for us to trust their judgement
Yet here we are with posters all over the board thinking they know better than them

Remember the melts when we drafted Aarts from our VFL side?, Baker in the rookie draft? Or persisted with Soldo year after year with little return

You would think by now our recruitment staff would have enough chips in the bank for us to trust their judgement
Yet here we are with posters all over the board thinking they know better than them
I still don't really rate Aarts. Come at me bro

I still don't really rate Aarts. Come at me bro
He’s never gonna be a 150 game player but he’s the perfect depth player
Costs us next to nothing salary wise has a mature body but plays his role when called up and cracks in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s never gonna be a 150 game player but he’s the perfect depth player
Costs us next to nothing salary wise has a mature body but plays his role when called up and cracks in
Good VFL player playing at VFL speed. Gets caught too much for my liking. Doesn't really matter in our current side tbh.

Good VFL player playing at VFL speed. Gets caught too much for my liking. Doesn't really matter in our current side tbh.
It’s true but like I said at the end of the day he’s a depth player and a handy one at that

Not every player is gonna be a superstar and it’s important to have players like him who can come play the role when called up

We don’t need to worry about him breaking the bank or leaving the club for more cash or more game time and his presence ensures the younger players who aren’t necessarily ready for a sr call up into the side before they are ready

I think people are being a bit harsh on him. Yes he has his knocks - that's why he was competing for the last spot on the list against other undrafted/delisted players. We've been a bit spoilt in the past with stack and pickett who are both high potential players overlooked for other reasons, in all likelihood none of the players competing for this supplementary spot end up getting a game. If they were all guns/potential starters they would have been picked up way earlier!

At least Egg fits in well with the group, and if we have a spate of injuries he's hardly the worst option.
He’s played 6 games , who are the wackers thinking he has no improvement in him, heck I don’t need to remind of those that thought it was hip to knock shedda, houli or more recently short in terms of their value to the side. Cool the jets or you just might have egg on your face

Aarts was certainly a tough nut. He found the pace of AFL level fine. If he was a better kick for goal he'd be a star

DES has good vision and evasion, and an excellent short kick, so they are good traits to have.

Definitely, no concerns with his kicking penetration either which is a great sign for an aspiring rebounder who still has considerable size and strength to add to their frame.

At many - perhaps even most - clubs I'd suggest that he'd be considered by list managers to be a very solid prospect to play 150+ games.

The game gets more frenetic every year and every club is desperate to dull our edge over them by going hell for leather at the players they perceive as our 'weakest links.' Egg would have played a lot more games under a lot less pressure practically anywhere else and had way more opportunity to show his best attributes.

On the positive side, this 'baptism of fire' our youngsters cop as they are gradually introduced into the senior side speeds their development into the players we need to keep on being successful.

Again, Short is an illustrative example. Sides headhunted him week after week and look where he's ended up.

Definitely, no concerns with his kicking penetration either which is a great sign for an aspiring rebounder who still has considerable size and strength to add to their frame.

At many - perhaps even most - clubs I'd suggest that he'd be considered by list managers to be a very solid prospect to play 150+ games.

The game gets more frenetic every year and every club is desperate to dull our edge over them by going hell for leather at the players they perceive as our 'weakest links.' Egg would have played a lot more games under a lot less pressure practically anywhere else and had way more opportunity to show his best attributes.

On the positive side, this 'baptism of fire' our youngsters cop as they are gradually introduced into the senior side speeds their development into the players we need to keep on being successful.

Again, Short is an illustrative example. Sides headhunted him week after week and look where he's ended up.
There are still question marks over him or he would not have been delisted. The lack of head over the ball was an issue, some players like Baker just have it in spades, others like Ellis and DES it is a weakness, although pretty much blown out of proportion especially in a young player like DES. Short is a good example of a player that doesn't have it naturally but worked on it. No reason for DES not to go the same way. Glass half full me.

Have mentioned this before but DES did not come through the usual footy channels. Football in Sunraysia is fairly bruise free. Massive grounds, dry conditions, everyone knows everyone up to a point. Very few hard men in the footy up here. And DES being a very skinny and elusive kid, never really had to get the hard ball himself. Even in his one year at senior level it was get the ball out to him and let him run. He was only 17 and still very slight. Very few TAC cup games, taken into the academy and has done a fantastic job to get where he has.

Not surprised at all that he has taken a bit more time than most to learn the hard side of AFL footy. Pretty sure some of his efforts last year will steel him up, has a fair bit of talent, so great that he has been given another chance.

Some of these boys would like to have quiet word with you in the corner if that is OK?! ;)

Houli and short improving in that area doesn't mean eggy will...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back