Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

So we’ve basically swapped CCj for Tarrant, upgraded pick 72 to pick 19 in the 2022 draft, and jumped a couple of spots in the 3rd round this year. Sound OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was happy swapping a future 4th and 3rd 😂😂

Just glad Dimma won’t have to scrape him up pissed as a mule off the club room dunny floors again 🥴

That and I’m glad we bent them over. They’re at the “well on draft points it’s not as bad as it seems” stage of grief 😂😂

Maybe we could extend their name from Norf to the Norf Tassie Leverages? Well probably not but I love the leverage calls they were making.... it was hilarious. Certainly fooled a few in here as well.... Few people in here I'd happily bluff in a game of poker ;)

Fair deal. Bloody good effort to get that result from a club with pick one in the PSD, I honestly thought we’d struggle to get a pick around 40 at best.

I think North will do well out of Coleman-Jones, he looks a very decent player in the making to me, and will be a genuinely adaptable ruck and forward, which will make him an easier asset to maximise for North. They have placed a value on him, made him a strong contract offer, and backed it up with the trade so you couldn’t have any ill feeling toward them over it.

Think this leaves us in a terrific position, I think we will effectively have picks 9, 17, 28, 30, 40, 42 in this years draft, and expected value around actual picks 15 25 35 and 53 in the 2022 draft at this stage. Has to be every chance we bundle up some of this years picks to get higher or trade the later ones into next year for second round picks.

A bit more grace please. CCJ did nothing wrong other than going to another club for opportunity, nothing that 1,000 players haven't done previously. And we did well in the trade. Happy all round. He might have been a good player for us but he is hardly Noah Balta.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit more gracious please. CCJ did nothing wrong other than going to another club for opportunity, nothing that 1,000 players haven't done previously. And we did well in the trade. Happy all round. He might have been a good player for us but he is hardly Noah Balta.

No dramas from me. I get he wants to play every week, good luck to him. I'll be watching him just like I watch Butler, Ellis, Markov etc and hope he does well except against us of course.
I am genuinely interested in how he turns out...and I'm not prepared to find out by him unbalancing our side, so off he goes. Good picks coming back, Tarrant we know can play top level, and in a good side might even be better than we thought.
All good.

Could we be trying for:
Out: CCJ & and 47
In: 2022 r2 & Tarrant

Next year likely 19- 25 range pick added
-rather than another one we don't have a list spot for this year - yes I know 20 would be nice
-pick 47 is not a bad pick

Gets us something rather than the 'I'm taking my bat and ball and going home' so send him to PSD strategy.

(Already suggested - sorry haven't been flowing the thread much- or so sh*te an idea, no one has put it forward?)
C'mon fellaaaasssss! I was close!! Bring the love!!!!!!!!

A bit more gracious please. CCJ did nothing wrong other than going to another club for opportunity, nothing that 1,000 players haven't done previously. And we did well in the trade. Happy all round. He might have been a good player for us but he is hardly Noah Balta.

Sorry not for me. Yes limited time to make a career but quite frankly he can go and get newted with Jack Higgins. I understand that people will say it's immature etc. but this bloke ...........better stop there. Good luck to Cujo rucking against Nank & Soldo.

For Higgins, Brando, Butler, Chol, sure. I'll never begrudge a young player leaving for a fresh start and more opportunities.

But CCJ's role in kebabgate puts him about 10,000 miles off those players, for me at least. The club supported him and continued to develop him, and he started to make appearances. I don't know. I think it will always leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

For Higgins, Brando, Butler, Chol, sure. I'll never begrudge a young player leaving for a fresh start and more opportunities.

But CCJ's role in kebabgate puts him about 10,000 miles off those players, for me at least. The club supported him and continued to develop him, and he started to make appearances. I don't know. I think it will always leave a bitter taste in my mouth.
Couldn’t agree more ……. A powerhouse invests in a guy to support, develop and provide an opportunity for team and individual success. As a career begins, he checks out and signs a 4 year contract on big coin with a minnow to begin a life in the land of purgatory. Welcome to the big league CJ, hope your good enough to deliver, because you’ll be in the gun from day 1.

Personally I’m rapt with the outcome, once the cards were laid bare, an uncommitted player needs to be moved on and the best deal possible achieved.

Not only have we received adequate compensation for the investment, we may well have dodged a bullet, because this guy no way commands a contract of this type considering he’s still a very long way off being a regular senior player.

Well I believe everything played out pretty much as I said it should.... so I'm declaring myself Nostra-bloody-Damus. I can't be bothered finding my own post but it was along the lines of we should ask for 20 and give something back and when that fails we should ask for their future 2nd. What happened to the PSD Norf, you gutless flogs? I want to hear a bit more about leverage please.... Lol. Enjoy Tassie! End rant/self-congratulation

A few of us called it...
G'day LG, how are ya bud?

As others have said, he's worth pick 20 at least. All day every day. Whether we get that, let's see. If 20's not involved you can bet your 2022 second rounder will, plus some. I could see it landing on your 2022 2nd plus pick 38.

C'mon fellaaaasssss! I was close!! Bring the love!!!!!!!!

Hmm NM went after him based on one thing. He has potential. Potential for them to attain a top line ruckman in time.

We wanted to keep him based on nothing but potential and thought that potential would take him to being a very good key forward moving fwd and was worth a pick around 20.

Its all in what perception you have on it all.

Some say future 2nd is a good result others will point out with the trading of picks it works out at about pick 35.

At the end of it all my perception about him is he looks only an okay ruckman and an okay forward great at neither not a player id be looking to build a team around or worry about chasing after.

Obviously NM think differently. I think they have him pegged right though. If he is to become very good in a role it is more likely as a ruckman imo.

Juke, I'm inclined to agree with you. However, if I may play Devil's advocate, Jack Riewoldt did say that he would have done the same thing if he were in CCJ's position.

Good fair deal in the end, IMO.

Hopefully it's the end of our obsession with drafting ruckmen / 200cm inbetweeners and trying to turn them into key forwards. Vickery, Griffiths, McBean, CCJ, Chol, Ryan...
This, its like hedging your bet thinking if they dont make it one way they might the other. What usually happens is you get a player who doesnt really deliver in either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back