Past #38: Josh Gibson - officially traded to Hawthorn for picks 25 & 41 in the 2009 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Bellend
5efaba40f573fa969e475e3037198918.jpeg

Floggiest photo I could find of Aaron
image.jpg

Kennedy is more and more a question mark, given he is into his last year and isn't having a dominant VFL season to date, for whatever reason, be it injury or something else. At this stage it's not a given that he will be offered another contract.
Duryea is an unknown quantitity as well. Looks ok in a good team, but hasn't cemented a spot yet, and still would be doubtful from a long career perspective.

So the comparison at this stage seems to be Gibson vs Black. Seems like a win/win to me, a bit like Schwass/Grant trade. Schwass was great for the Swans, but did retire years before Grant, who has been great for us. One worry about Black is whether he intends to spend his entire career in Melbourne. I hope he does, but at some stage there is always a possibility where we may hear about a homesick girlfriend or (God forbid) a sick parent or whatever it may be that makes a player request a trade home. I don't see anymore questions about his ability and attitude, that have been there in the past. He definitely has the X factor and also does the simple things well, like goal kicking and simple hit up lead marks. Would seem like a 200 game player to me.

Trades around that number can always be hit and miss, sometimes we'll take a miss. But yes it looks like we'll have done well, but lets not forget Hawthorn picked up one of the best small defenders in the league while their window is wide open- thats very valuable. 2 teams operating on different timelines, probably a win/win atm.

And let's not forget that a couple of very ordinary efforts by Gibbo in the last quarters of the 2012 GF (beaten by Mitch Morton in a 2-on-1 after zoning too far off his man looking for a cheap kick) and 2011 PF (absolutely torched by Cloke) played a big hand in the Hawks losing both games. He's always looked shaky in the big moments, particularly when isolated one out. Black looks to me to be very much the player for the big moment, got a very cool head on his shoulders.

Maybe it's win/win atm, but we'll be having the last laugh on this one for many years to come.

Gibson plays as a third man up spoiler in the best team in the comp, that zones players behind the ball and barely turns it over.

I am not going to say anyone could play that role, but any competent defender (Zac Dawson), could fit in that structure.

He goes ok, nothing special and nothing that has won them a flag (in fact I thought he contributed to the GF loss).

Aaron Black is everything Jack Darling is, but is taller, with a leap, quicker and better at ground level. Probably a better set shot. Footy smarts would be comparable. I think we all agree how good Darling is, so Aaron could be in the very elite, perhaps in the top 2 or 3 in he comp.

Kennedy could be a very good AFL player, if he was given a chance. These skilled athletic types do better with better players around them, like Black has in the AFL. We need to start playing Kennedy IMO.

This trade will be embarrassing for the Hawks in years ahead and every other club that let Black slip to 25.

Hawthorn is currently ahead. Black performs for the next 5 seasons and it's at least break even. If he's a consistent quality performer beyond that we win.

Kennedy unfortunately does not appear to be in our plans, would've been nice to have a 2 for 1.

Agree. Clearly we don't want players of that character at our club, so in some ways its a moot point. Disregarding that, the Hawks are a fair way in front for sure as he is very solid defender.

As KC says, if Black can reach a high level also then we would be looking to be in front, and if Kennedy can provide something, might be just enought o tip it our favour.

we were not contenders and wont be whilst Gibbo is a relevant AFL player (18 months left, IMO). So we get the best tall forward talent at North in god knows how long for a short 3rd up defender who has been awful for his club in finals?
ok. Sounds good to me.

And let's not forget that a couple of very ordinary efforts by Gibbo in the last quarters of the 2012 GF (beaten by Mitch Morton in a 2-on-1 after zoning too far off his man looking for a cheap kick) and 2011 PF (absolutely torched by Cloke) played a big hand in the Hawks losing both games. He's always looked shaky in the big moments, particularly when isolated one out. Black looks to me to be very much the player for the big moment, got a very cool head on his shoulders.

Maybe it's win/win atm, but we'll be having the last laugh on this one for many years to come.

Yep, entirely fair assessment. If they win a flag with Gibbo, it is hard for us to claim a win unless we win won with Blacky.

Gibbo's tears last year gave me great succour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbo was actually my favourite player. Then il pezzo di merda left.

Aaron Black will win 7 Colemans starting with this year.

I was worried that a second round pick would harm our chances of finding a good prospect, because from 2000-2005ish second round picks were very much hit or miss as the talent didn't seem to run deep, but in the later half of the last decade and into this decade with the benefit of hindsight the talent has run a lot deeper. It is why I am surprised clubs turn their nose up at second round picks or doll them out for mediocre players.

Even if Kennedy doesn't make it, Black for Gibson is a great trade. What is going to be even funnier is that Port turned their nose up at pick 37 for Jacobs and we picked up Wood with 41. I think he is going to be a real jet in a year or two, he has much of Black's qualities.

The same year Saints turned their nose up at 30 they could have taken guys like Vardy or Christensen, or MacMillan, Stratton, etc. We are just thankful we don't have stupid recruiters/list managers at our club and glad we didn't get sucked in paying overs on Caddy which we would have in the Laidley era.

Collingwood were trying to give us pick 30 plus a player for 25 because they wanted to get Ball and Saints weren't budging on 30. But, we knew there was quality that was going to slide and 25 would result in a good quality option. Thank god for our recruiters.

At the time I was royally pissed at Gibbo for screwing the club over and demanding to be traded to Hawthorn and only Hawthorn. However, 3 and a bit years on and it seems like we're gonna do alright out of this trade.

For those who can't remember (I couldn't until it was brought up in a conversation with a Hawthorn supporting mate today) we traded Gibson + Pick 69 for Picks 25 + 41. This ended up being Gibson + Taylor Duryea for Aaron Black and Ayden Kennedy.

Gibson has obviously been great for Hawthorn but is 29 this year. Black as we've all seen is gonna be something special and is turning 23 in November. I won't go as far as to try and predict the next 10 years but I think history will show we comfortably won this trade (not that it really means anything as Hawthorn have a plethora of forward options and were desperate for a backman).

What do you guys think?
What do you make of the Jonathon Hay trade?

Pretty much all that has been said has been said.

Gibson is decent at what he does but not much else, will never forget that game against Melbourne when he was given a go in the midfield, at a stage of the game where it was a foregone conclusion and proceded to clear the ball in the wrong direction.

Blacky already shown he is quite versatile, and serviceable in other areas of the ground.

Nothing wrong with wanting to seek opportunities elsewhere, but deserves all the shit he cops for the way he went about it.

So the comparison at this stage seems to be Gibson vs Black. Seems like a win/win to me, a bit like Schwass/Grant trade. Schwass was great for the Swans, but did retire years before Grant, who has been great for us.

Really? I though the Schwass / Grant trade was a comprehensive win for us (and I was royally pissed when we did it because Schwatta was just about my fav player). Grant played 243 games for us (and kicked over 300 goals) over 11 years. Schwass played 98 games in 5 years.

But I agree with the comparison. I can see this trade heading in a very similar direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back