Past #36: Shannon Watt - drafted at #14 in '97 ND - 155 games - 0 Brownlow votes - original whipping boy

Do you agree with the 'Watt' decision?

• Yes

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 46.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2003. But yeh Shannon Watt. Um the steal against the dogs last year was a ripper. Goodluck to him. Glen Archer is what NorthMelbourne is all about. Shannon Watt was an average player, tho serviceable at best but did what Dean Laidley liked, which wasn necessarily what the NMFC liked and didn work out too well for him. But Hes played for our club, we support him in what he does and all the best to him. Perfect way to sum Watt up. Put it this way. If your were in a footy brawl, besides your best mate- Shannon Watt would be the first bloke there backin ya up.
Whilst I agree Arch was a Legend, no doubt, I can't understand why people see him specifically as 'what this club's all about'.

We're not a Collingwood or a Carlton where all the focus is on Judd or Buckley or any individual superstar. The way I see it, it's always been the Troy Makepeace's and Shannon Watt's that make our club so great. A battling club. Shinboners. All that jazz.

No one seems to have noticed that if all goes as usual on the weekend, Shannon will just miss out on having played the most games of any VFL/AFL player without a Brownlow vote, only a dozen games short of the all time leader, North Melbourne's own Ross Henshaw.

You can blame Laidley that he got so close/missed out on the record depending on which way you look at it.

Whilst I agree Arch was a Legend, no doubt, I can't understand why people see him specifically as 'what this club's all about'.

We're not a Collingwood or a Carlton where all the focus is on Judd or Buckley or any individual superstar. The way I see it, it's always been the Troy Makepeace's and Shannon Watt's that make our club so great. A battling club. Shinboners. All that jazz.

oh god.

Fair go; what has happened to this forum? I thought this thread was about Shannon Watt?

I reckon the rot set in around the Gold Coast move and it hasn't improved since. Pre Gold Coast you could come on here, offer an opinion, have a laugh and move on. Not anymore by the looks of it all.

Someone offers an opinion and its on for young and old to attack and have a go at each other.

Remember, we all barrack for the same team, be respectful to each other.

Anyway, good on you for giving your all over the years Watter. I remember being at the final 98 training session and seeing you get a bake off one of the assistants. I still reckon, you should have been given a run up forward, but its all over now. Good luck for Sunday.

Gaso

You still blogging for Murdoch mate?

Why would Shannon Watt be any different in that regard?

He's played for 'pride' and 'love of the jumper' 160 times.
I don't doubt that he has tried his best whenever he has played.

My point is it's BS to say 'we're not playing for anything' ; and therefore, it's BS to give a bloke a game who wouldn't get one on form, just because he's not going to be around next year.

This is a cr@p decision. The best thing about Brad Scott getting the job is that I can breathe a sigh of relief that Crocker won't be coach.

As caretaker, why hasn't he stacked the side with kids since round 13??. It evades me and, in hindsight, it has hurt his chances of being permanent coach anyway.

I'm sure Shannon Watt is a terrific guy but this is just rubbish.

Given that it's against the St Kilda, maybe they can bring Fraser Gehrig out of retirement & we can all reminisce about Shannon's most "insipid" performance.
As for farewell games, I can remember when people used to earn a spot in a football side on merit.

According to Crock he is playing in the AFL this week due to his recent good form in the 2's including a BOG :thumbsu:

Just as well you're not the coach :p

I don't doubt that he has tried his best whenever he has played.

My point is it's BS to say 'we're not playing for anything' ; and therefore, it's BS to give a bloke a game who wouldn't get one on form, just because he's not going to be around next year.

1) It's not just because he's 'not going to be around next year', it's because the bloke is a life member of the footy club and I think deserves a game as a reward for the contributions he's made over 11 years.

2) His VFL form actually happens to be quite good. He just happens to be retiring too.

3) You know exactly what I mean by not playing for anything, and you've deliberately taken it literally. We can't make the finals, we're not going to compromise our draft position, so why not give Shannon a send off game? If we were still in contention for anything it would be a completely different story.

If giving a bloke who has given the club over a decade's service a final game stuffs up the development of one of our kids then the list is in more trouble than I thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Crock he is playing in the AFL this week due to his recent good form in the 2's including a BOG :thumbsu:

Just as well you're not the coach :p

OBST has been BOG nearly everyweek for Werribee but that hasn't earned him a go.

Crocker has not been playing anyone for good form all year.

If Shannon Watt gets a go before OBST then it only proves further that Crocker and our assistant coaches are insipid and making selections for the sake of thier own careers.

Hahaha, picking Watt is clearly Crocker coaching for his career.

Picking Watt is clearly Crocker trying to be a nice bloke after stuffing up slections all season.

Playing Harris, Jones, Power, Hale, Thomas all season was a bloke coaching for his career.

Why, Why, Why give Watt a go before Obst???? Obst has been BOG and worked his guts out all year for nothing.

Watt has been given 160 opportunties to prove his worth.

2003. But yeh Shannon Watt. Um the steal against the dogs last year was a ripper. Goodluck to him. Glen Archer is what NorthMelbourne is all about. Shannon Watt was an average player, tho serviceable at best but did what Dean Laidley liked, which wasn necessarily what the NMFC liked and didn work out too well for him. But Hes played for our club, we support him in what he does and all the best to him. Perfect way to sum Watt up. Put it this way. If your were in a footy brawl, besides your best mate- Shannon Watt would be the first bloke there backin ya up.

So no Kudos for the 2003 effort?

Picking Watt is clearly Crocker trying to be a nice bloke after stuffing up slections all season.

Playing Harris, Jones, Power, Hale, Thomas all season was a bloke coaching for his career.

Why, Why, Why give Watt a go before Obst???? Obst has been BOG and worked his guts out all year for nothing.

Watt has been given 160 opportunties to prove his worth.

You might want to check the ins for this week. They are both playing.

1) It's not just because he's 'not going to be around next year', it's because the bloke is a life member of the footy club and I think deserves a game as a reward for the contributions he's made over 11 years.

2) His VFL form actually happens to be quite good. He just happens to be retiring too.

3) You know exactly what I mean by not playing for anything, and you've deliberately taken it literally. We can't make the finals, we're not going to compromise our draft position, so why not give Shannon a send off game? If we were still in contention for anything it would be a completely different story.

If giving a bloke who has given the club over a decade's service a final game stuffs up the development of one of our kids then the list is in more trouble than I thought.
I know Crock said he's been picked on form. Sorry, but I find it a little hard to swallow.

We all know he's been picked for sentiment. Why not, you ask? Because I think the message to send to every player on the list is that a position in the side should be earned, not doled out as a favour to a good bloke..

Back