Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

1454318147691_03080803_MPX_5064851_hd720.jpg

Joel Amartey
Joel Amartey has shown strong form in the ruck and as a key-position player at both ends of the ground since being drafted to the Sydney Swans as a rookie ahead of season 2018. The Ghanaian-Australian produced arguably his best performance of the 2019 season against Sydney University in Round 6, which saw him collect 42 hit-outs and a goal. In season 2020, he made his AFL debut against Brisbane Lions in Round 17 after producing some strong individual performances in scrimmage matches, and impressed with eight hit-outs and two inside 50.

Joel Amartey
DOB: 02 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #28, 2017 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Gram (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Has NOT got Hawkins body shape
He has got the body type and strength to be able to shift his opponent out of his space when taking a contested mark. I have regularly seen him do it.

He is that awkward size where he is hard to spoil from behind and he can also shrug his opponent off to create space in front of himself.

We’re all frustrated cos we see the potential in Joel. Need the package to come together for a full season. Still think he has it in him to kick 3 in a short burst / quarter and be a high impact player for us. Would love to see him add F50 tackling pressure to his repertoire.

Not everybody has the same aerobic fitness ceiling given the same or similar training. It's in some bodies to run all day. Not in others.

Simple as that I reckon.

Thanks for the link. I think we can officially strike off my running career now

Low ToG - maybe after 5 years of constant injuries, the fitness staff are building him in a different way.. maybe he'll play every game and increase his ToG and impact over the season ???
Huge impact - the list above suggests hes not the worst or even below average as far as impact for the 24yo and under (goals are the most important stat for KPDs .. imo)

To be fair, I was very excited at Amartey completing his very first pre-season. The fact that he spends so much time out has surprised me,, but at the same time, I acknowledge that there are some very good fitness staff at the Swans and it seems that they are doing things that we as supporters dont understand.
Also.... This board has the ability to give me the sh*ts when it judges so harshly on things (players, coaches, salaries etc) when it doesn't know (even remotely!) the full picture and therefore doesn't understand
The board judges things harshly?

Surely not!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back