Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

1454318147691_03080803_MPX_5064851_hd720.jpg

Joel Amartey
Joel Amartey has shown strong form in the ruck and as a key-position player at both ends of the ground since being drafted to the Sydney Swans as a rookie ahead of season 2018. The Ghanaian-Australian produced arguably his best performance of the 2019 season against Sydney University in Round 6, which saw him collect 42 hit-outs and a goal. In season 2020, he made his AFL debut against Brisbane Lions in Round 17 after producing some strong individual performances in scrimmage matches, and impressed with eight hit-outs and two inside 50.

Joel Amartey
DOB: 02 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #28, 2017 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Gram (Vic)/Sandringham U18

So many tools to work with. Probably 5% more effort gets it done. Assuming he is capable of that.
Frustrating aspect of all of this is he still never looks fit. Is he fit in general ? Of course he is. Is he AFL Fit in the form the game that is pretty much played by every team competition wide ? No way known. Looks gassed after nearly every contest he is involved in and when ball comes into his area in transition after doing all the hard work to get best position in the contest, he will drop easy chest marks or miss a regulation shot at goal straight in front from 25-30mtrs because of fatigue. Its plain as the nose on your face. Does he have all the attributes to be a good player for Us ? Pretty much with the only other exception being he may lack a bit of natural footy brain matter but that of course can come with consistent games at the top level.

Not quite sure why Amartey is getting shat on from a great height when i actually thought he got into some good positions on the weekend and generally took his marks - unlike McLean who's dropped some absolute sitters in the last two weeks. Frankly find the pile on pretty crap.

Not quite sure why Amartey is getting shat on from a great height when i actually thought he got into some good positions on the weekend and generally took his marks - unlike McLean who's dropped some absolute sitters in the last two weeks. Frankly find the pile on pretty crap.
Because he promises so much more and rarely and sparsely delivers.

Not really into your hyperbole, and not interested in whataboutism. I was pointing out that, for a guy his size he rarely takes contested marks above his head. The frustration is that he has the ability but we rarely see it and his marking stats are mainly comprised of chest marks - I would expect that of a small to medium forward.
And since you brought up McLean, then I would have hoped that Amartey could have stepped up while McLean is down.
If Amartey wasn't capable of doing great things then we wouldn't be having this conversation, but that is the problem - we rarely see it, and if we do then it is only for very short spurts.

I just don’t understand that if he is injury free, how come he’s always supposedly unfit ? I’d have him run a 3km time trial every night.
Not everybody has the same aerobic fitness ceiling given the same or similar training. It's in some bodies to run all day. Not in others.

Simple as that I reckon.

"we rarely see it, and if we do then it is only for very short spurts" - And how many young key forwards do you see performing at a high level conistently and for longer periods....

Because he promises so much more and rarely and sparsely delivers.
That's the thing... I wouldn't be quite so frustrated if I just thought he was s**t. He's not a natural footballer, but he has some great attributes including a great leap and a decent set of hands, but it's unlikely we'll ever see him reach his ceiling if he can't play more than half a game without gassing out and going completely missing.

"we rarely see it, and if we do then it is only for very short spurts" - And how many young key forwards do you see performing at a high level conistently and for longer periods....
I hear you, but you are also using whataboutism to deflect again. He isn't so young these days, he is 24 and the fact remains he is 1.97m tall but takes most of his marks on his chest. I know he was picked up as a rookie and therefore wasn't rated as highly as 105 others that year, but his glimpses of ability are incredibly frustrating.

Funny, I thought Amartey was OK on the weekend. He's not a star and I'd love to have an upgrade over him on the list (I do think if Buller was fully fit he'd be breathing down his neck), but I actually thought he got to quite a few contests and was OK in terms of competing in the air.

Only saw the 4th quarter, so can’t comment on how he went overall - BUT I was pleasantly surprised to see him popping up in some important plays in the last term.
Only other game I can remember him doing that was against the Demons a year or two back

I think Amartey is a useful player and offers something different.

McLean is bigger, aggressive, less mobile but can take a contested mark in a pack of players. Logan has more running ability and can make smarter leads.

Amartey can be a tricky player to match up on. He has got that Hawkins body shape to hold his opponent off in a marking contest. Also decent hands and quick/agile for someone his size. I feel he is more a impact player capable of kicking a few quick goals and dominating his opponent. But also tend to have quiet periods and fade out of matches.

I think over a 23 game season we will do better with 3 talls. And keep them fresher than if we just had McLean/McDonald as a two tall forward line each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amartey - 7 goals
other young key forwards (Yes, Amartey is 24yo, but only played 24 games due to injury righting off about 4 years of his career)
Logan - 11 goals
Ben King - 10
Joe Amyss - 8
Larkey - 8 goals
Cadman - 8
Van Rooyen - 7
Max King - 6
Tod Marshall - 6
McLean - 6
Riccardi - 6
Josh Treacy - 6
JUH - 6
Balta - 5
Reef McInnes - 5
Fogarty - 4
Naughton - 4
Camaniti - 3
Harrison Jones - 3
etc etc etc
Amartey isn't elite ( and I strongly suspect his pay cheque confirms this) but he's doing pretty well when compared to other 24yo and younger key forwards

Amartey - 7 goals
other young key forwards (Yes, Amartey is 24yo, but only played 24 games due to injury righting off about 4 years of his career)
Logan - 11 goals
Ben King - 10
Joe Amyss - 8
Larkey - 8 goals
Cadman - 8
Van Rooyen - 7
Max King - 6
Tod Marshall - 6
McLean - 6
Riccardi - 6
Josh Treacy - 6
JUH - 6
Balta - 5
Reef McInnes - 5
Fogarty - 4
Naughton - 4
Camaniti - 3
Harrison Jones - 3
etc etc etc
Amartey isn't elite ( and I strongly suspect his pay cheque confirms this) but he's doing pretty well when compared to other 24yo and younger key forwards
The main issue is he plays such a low ToG - which in part explains why he goes missing.

And at 24, with a full pre-season, that can’t be excused (in my view).

Nor does he have a huge impact when on the ground.

He should be coming into his prime, but I’ve not seen much development - either endurance or impact-wise.

I think Amartey is a useful player and offers something different.

McLean is bigger, aggressive, less mobile but can take a contested mark in a pack of players. Logan has more running ability and can make smarter leads.

Amartey can be a tricky player to match up on. He has got that Hawkins body shape to hold his opponent off in a marking contest. Also decent hands and quick/agile for someone his size. I feel he is more a impact player capable of kicking a few quick goals and dominating his opponent. But also tend to have quiet periods and fade out of matches.

I think over a 23 game season we will do better with 3 talls. And keep them fresher than if we just had McLean/McDonald as a two tall forward line each week.
Has NOT got Hawkins body shape

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

The main issue is he plays such a low ToG - which in part explains why he goes missing.

And at 24, with a full pre-season, that can’t be excused (in my view).

Nor does he have a huge impact when on the ground.

He should be coming into his prime, but I’ve not seen much development - either endurance or impact-wise.
Low ToG - maybe after 5 years of constant injuries, the fitness staff are building him in a different way.. maybe he'll play every game and increase his ToG and impact over the season ???
Huge impact - the list above suggests hes not the worst or even below average as far as impact for the 24yo and under (goals are the most important stat for KPDs .. imo)

To be fair, I was very excited at Amartey completing his very first pre-season. The fact that he spends so much time out has surprised me,, but at the same time, I acknowledge that there are some very good fitness staff at the Swans and it seems that they are doing things that we as supporters dont understand.
Also.... This board has the ability to give me the sh*ts when it judges so harshly on things (players, coaches, salaries etc) when it doesn't know (even remotely!) the full picture and therefore doesn't understand

Low ToG - maybe after 5 years of constant injuries, the fitness staff are building him in a different way.. maybe he'll play every game and increase his ToG and impact over the season ???
Huge impact - the list above suggests hes not the worst or even below average as far as impact for the 24yo and under (goals are the most important stat for KPDs .. imo)

To be fair, I was very excited at Amartey completing his very first pre-season. The fact that he spends so much time out has surprised me,, but at the same time, I acknowledge that there are some very good fitness staff at the Swans and it seems that they are doing things that we as supporters dont understand.
Also.... This board has the ability to give me the sh*ts when it judges so harshly on things (players, coaches, salaries etc) when it doesn't know (even remotely!) the full picture and therefore doesn't understand

If he is our biggest concern we are going ok.

Some good points, I guess its just the fitness, if he gets it all together though will be great

good post

Remove this Banner Ad

Back