Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on how hard we cut/trade…I’d have Taylor, Tucker, Phillips, Free, Hansen, Shiels, Coleman -Jones moved on first.
I’d have him in there as well tbh.
Just a very underwhelming player imo.

So what are we doing with him again? Let me guess, next week he’s out. Ford in and Drury and Lazz come back in after the bye?

He’s a handy depth player

His lack of height is a big issue as a midfielder

At afl level he’d only make it as a small forward so needs to start learning that craft
Out of contract this year he may not get the opportunity. He looked a different player in the pre season, but they all tend to look good playing against each other.

Let’s be honest if our list was AFL quality, then Charlie isn’t getting games.

He gets games because of out list is a shambles and then he doesn’t exactly set the world on fire when he is given those opportunities.

It’s brutal, but sometime hard work and professionalism isn’t enough, you need a sprinkle of talent to go with it.

I think it's a confidence thing with Charlie. He is quick enough, good user by foot and played with confidence in the preseason. His fumbling has returned and his output diminished as his confidence has diminished. As with a lot of players at this level, the difference between average to good is mostly between the ears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's a confidence thing with Charlie. He is quick enough, good user by foot and played with confidence in the preseason. His fumbling has returned and his output diminished as his confidence has diminished. As with a lot of players at this level, the difference between average to good is mostly between the ears.
Disagree. His biggest issues are his size & lack of natural talent. Those things aren't changing any time soon.

When you're Charlies size, and the same applies to the other 5-6 Lollipop Kids on our list, you have to have some serious weapons to make it at AFL level. Unfortunately, like Will Phill & Drury (& our old mates Spicer & Atu), there's nothing special.

Can the Phillips haters start here?

How far off being an AFL player can a bloke be and be on a list for 4 years?

Be a great VFL captain. Ripping bloke.
Will Phillips offers miles more at AFL level than Lazz.

Comes good 1 in every 10 games or so, not good enough for how long he has been here. Unfortunately that's the same for a lot of players on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back