Past 34. Sam Philp

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of curiosity, what is a 'SOS special'?

To be honest, if you had to define a unique 'SOS' pick, wouldn't it be an ex-GWS player with a bad injury history, who we got for a bag of chips in a back-room super-secret handshake deal with his former club?

I hope he's the complete opposite - certainly seems to have some good attributes and has played well in the wide open spaces of 12-v-12 scratch matches, so good luck to the boy!
I'd define a SOS special as someone he reached for who looks very talented.
Willo - Pick 61
TDK - Pick 30
Philp - Pick 22

Also would define a SOS special as;
Trading 2016 Pick 16 for 2015 Pick 8 = Harry Mckay
Picking Mckay Pick 8 over Charlie as Adelaide were interested and getting both
Getting Martin for free

Great selection IMO. Last week showed that what we really need is more aggression around the ball. Skills are one thing but if you are rag dolled in the first quarter and spend the rest of the match playing catch up then skills only amount to so much. I am not saying Philp isnt skilled, but from what I have seen/heard, he is very "see ball>get ball". His breakaway speed looks phenomenal and maybe this allows him to play the role that Martin was fulfilling in the forward line>>>> Martin can spend most of his time on the ball.
Hopefully Sam wont be over awed by playing this type of role . But recent first year players have shown that anything is possible.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1593073083001

I keep watching the very last highlight.

Kennedy handballs high so SP has to reach. Should be tackled by Geelong Player 1.
SP Cuts hard right avoiding Geelong Player 1 while wrong footing Geelong Player 2.

Straightens punches it Comfortably through from 45

Straight out of the Eagle CJ playbook. First goal reminds me a little of CJ's goal in the 2013 EF taking the handball to stream into goal ( though the ball came from a different side of the body)

Struggling to contain my excitement, so few players have that burst. No pressure Sam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why?

Anyway there are a few former 34s around. Nick Duigan, De Iulio, wiggins etc...

Yeah I've heard something about some illness that people are trying to avoid??

Imagine being so fast that along as you were running as fast as you could, no one could touch you.

As a Steve J/Lance Whitnall hybrid, pace was a trait I never enjoyed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back