Player Watch #34: Liam McBean

Will McBean be an AFL standard forward for Richmond ( 150 + games)

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

That we'll never quite know.
His papers are stamped, but his development and management have been butchered.
I can't see why we don't just play him to season's end.
Recalling #29 means nothing!
I'm sort of leaning to the side of we do know, but you're correct in saying he should have been given more than three games to get his s**t together.

There are those that show it in the VFL and give them a chance and just don't make it. There are those in the VFL that just don't show it but put them in at AFL and they spark.

For mine McBean, despite his time in the 2's just doesn't spark come AFL.

Comparing Ty to McBean is like sad against sad. One does something better than the other but at the end of the day neither does well.

Time for a rethink.

Will kick 8 in the VFL and get selected next week
Why? He never has before.

For all the excitement about "Liam McBean - Frosty Miller Medallist" he kicked 42 goals the year he won (shared) the medal. Which is about exactly the number you would expect a KPF who played every game and is not quite good enough to be called up to the seniors.

It's a bit over 2 per game.

Why? He never has before.

For all the excitement about "Liam McBean - Frosty Miller Medallist" he kicked 42 goals the year he won (shared) the medal. Which is about exactly the number you would expect a KPF who played every game and is not quite good enough to be called up to the seniors.

It's a bit over 2 per game.

2.33 goals per game (18 game season) in a team that only won 5 games and finished 3rd last ...it's amazing the ball was ever in our F50

...but hey, what a spud

Correct that not every Player makes it and not one Club nails every draft pick. Some Clubs however seem to be able to do both better than others however and even the most staunch Richmond sympathisers have to put the blowtorch on the Club in terms of drafting and development.
Yep agree, just referring to winning a vfl goal kicking award doesn't mean much when talking about delisting as player.

It's awesome that we replaced a young forward with five games under his belt (when we are playing the kids) who got six possessions in 60 per cent game time and replaced him with an apathetic pea-heart who got two kicks.
Point proven Hardwick ... now f*** off and take Tyrone with you.

Unless we can land a gun forward (which we can't) I think we really need to dump the 3 talls idea. Encourage Vickery to go. Then just play Griffiths (a shining light this year in terms of improvement) and Jack as talls with Lids, Lloyd and hopefully Lennon as mediums. That's enough. Rioli as a crumber. If everyone plays to their potential that's an alright setup.

Nothing has pissed me off more than the hoopla about this bloke on this board.
It was so obvious if you went to twos games that he was never going to make it.
Yet week after week you had to read about how he should be playing.
He got a crack and there were no surprises.
No presence, no strength, no marking ability, poor kick at goal he's aessentially a 6 foot 6 small forward and always has been.
Was never ever going to make it and only got a few games because we were having a throw at the stumps.
Nobody wants him, will be delisted.

No presence, no strength, no marking ability, poor kick at goal he's aessentially a 6 foot 6 small forward and always has been.
Was never ever going to make it and only got a few games because we were having a throw at the stumps.
So Vickery gets starting 22 every week regardless of how s**t he plays? If you are the leading goal kicker in the comp in a terrible team you must have some talent? We know what ty can do. If we are preparing for next year, why don't we give blokes like bean some guaranteed exposure? What is there to lose?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are spot on rod. But people are talking about replacing all this spuds but who is going to want them? We have a guy playing well on cloke 2 years ago in a NAB game and never to be seen again but still on the list what is going on with this club beggar's belief.

No key forward is ding anything this year. and its due to the Reiwoldt effect. Very similar to the Richo effect. We have a superstar full forward who the players love to kick the ball to. When we are playing well, the midfielders have the confidence and skills to kick the ball to our other key forwards, however, when we are playing poorly, we go into default "we need to get the ball to Jack no matter what and he will kick a goal" this is done to the detriment of all the other key forwards.
Look how many times over the last few weeks jack has been out of position, 3 players on him, and we will burn every other lead and bomb to Jack. No wonder liam/vick/griff have done nothing.

Look what happened in the sydey game when we used Griff. 5 goals and a world beater.

The team need to have more faith in our other key forwards and get the ball to them and not be so jack-centric. I can see why Dimma has moved him to the wing - to teach the other players to hit up another key forward.

THE real tragedy is we'll have both McBean, who is not up to it and will be delisted, and Vickery, who is sure to be traded or leave via free agency, both heading out the door at the one time. That my yellow and black friends is atrocious list management, as it leaves our key forward stocks as such: Riewoldt. JK; Griffiths; rookies x 2 Moore. C and Chol.
Only at Tigerland could there be such a buzz around rookie forwards like Chol and Callum Moore.
I'll give you the tip, look around the league at the premier forwards and most have one thing in common. They were all PREDOMINANTLY first round or very early second round picks or academy picks. Riewoldt x 2, Franklin, Pavlich, Cameron, Patton, Wright, Petrie, Roughhead, Stringer, Walker. J. Kennedy, T. Lynch, Hogan, Gunston, Dixon and Watts (can't believe seven years in I am including that name). There's the odd father-son (Hawkins and Cloke), but the cream of the crop[ come in round one or early round two.
Josh Jenkins is the only one I can think of who came through the rookie draft.
Yet we have people here thinking the likes of Moore and Chol will lead us to the promised land. If they were any god they'd be first round or early second round picks like those mentioned.
It's why we need to draft either a tall forward or tall defender first up with pick 5 or 6.

poor bugger deserves a chance again after the slop vickery served up. Owing to a lack of tall forwards available some team will finally pay us overs for someone of vickery's ilk. simple fact is tony locket or dunstall would struggle in our forward line with our snail paced delivery into the forward line.

Well done today. Put him in the rest of the season. See how he goes when we fire it in fast give the kid a real shot don't blame him cos he didn't conjure miraculous goals against the hawks.

THE real tragedy is we'll have both McBean, who is not up to it and will be delisted, and Vickery, who is sure to be traded or leave via free agency, both heading out the door at the one time. That my yellow and black friends is atrocious list management, as it leaves our key forward stocks as such: Riewoldt. JK; Griffiths; rookies x 2 Moore. C and Chol.
Only at Tigerland could there be such a buzz around rookie forwards like Chol and Callum Moore.
I'll give you the tip, look around the league at the premier forwards and most have one thing in common. They were all PREDOMINANTLY first round or very early second round picks or academy picks. Riewoldt x 2, Franklin, Pavlich, Cameron, Patton, Wright, Petrie, Roughhead, Stringer, Walker. J. Kennedy, T. Lynch, Hogan, Gunston, Dixon and Watts (can't believe seven years in I am including that name). There's the odd father-son (Hawkins and Cloke), but the cream of the crop[ come in round one or early round two.
Yet we have people here thinking the likes of Moore and Chol will lead us to the promised land. If they were any god they'd be first round or early second round picks like those mentioned.
It's why we need to draft either a tall forward or tall defender first up with pick 5 or 6.
Might want to look up where Tex Walker was picked.

It would be astoundingly stupid to delist McBean at this point - even if we don't think he'll make it as a forward, it would make a lot of sense to try him in the position he was best at before being drafted (CHB). We spent years trying to turn all of our other key position forwards into backmen, why not try the one who was actually good there as an u18?

He was a zone/academy pick.

Can't believe how skinny McBean still is...after 3 years in the system you'd think the club would have worked out a way to beef him up....astounding
He's put on 15kg since we drafted him.

I get ya, Goldie, but in the top 10 you just take the best player. We need another gun mid as well.

Walker was a NSW scholarship player that Adelaide could take with its last pick, like Witts at Scumwood. It was a short-lived scheme/scam that of course we did not take advantage of.

Thanks buddy. I think I said the majority.
Yes, you get the odd one out of 25 who turns to a gun. But the MAJORITY are round one, or early round two.
But we are going to convert a bunch of rookie picks into gold at Tigerland if you ask some people on here.
Besides Walker was a scholarship pick who shouldn't be allowed to be taken at pick 75. Thankfully that initiative was scrapped!

It would be astoundingly stupid to delist McBean at this point - even if we don't think he'll make it as a forward, it would make a lot of sense to try him in the position he was best at before being drafted (CHB). We spent years trying to turn all of our other key position forwards into backmen, why not try the one who was actually good there as an u18?

He was a zone/academy pick.
You could say the same for McDonough and Lennon. All;-Austyralian half forwards we seemed intent on playing everywhere but half forward.

Back