Player Watch #34: Liam McBean

Will McBean be an AFL standard forward for Richmond ( 150 + games)

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

McBean is done at RFC, has had very limited chances and has not kicked 50 goals that dimma has expected of him.

Will be recruited to another team and play 100+ games and kick 300+ goals.

Or will be playing SANFL next year and kick 100 goals.
Or join Post at Altona Meadows FC.

LIAM is now certain to be traded or delisted

Delisted is a bit harsh for a frosty Miller medalist ...so i'm thinking a 4th rounder or player swap?

Am I way off the mark?
surely no club is stupid enough to give us anything for a player we are obviously going to delist and who has shown almost nothing

Know for a fact he was told he had 3 games to prove himself to hold his spot... 3 games later its back to the 2's.

What I am unsure of is whether that "prove" himself was for just this year or his RFC career.

Know for a fact he was told he had 3 games to prove himself to hold his spot... 3 games later its back to the 2's.

What I am unsure of is whether that "prove" himself was for just this year or his RFC career.

Imagine if we gave every player just 3 games to 'prove' themselves
Rance would have been chucked out years ago...

McBean is not AFL standard period. Look at Hipwood from the Lions. Would blow over in a strong wind and he impacts games in his first year. McBean has had enough time clogging our list.
So, pray tell me. What is it ....
A) Crap drafting.
B) Poor development.
As we seem to have more than a dozen players drafted to our club in the last seven years that went the same way as McBean and another dozen like Astbury who have never and never will reach any great heights.
Would like McBean played til season's end, but if he's a list clogger, I'm fie with it and he goes the same way as Helbig, McDonough, Arnott, Moore, Townsend, Dean MacDonald, Nason, Elton, Dea, Gordon, Verrier, Derickz, Ben Jakobi etc. etc.
And your club is telling you everything is fine.
We can't develop a player for s*** and that include sVickery who is miles short of being a top 8 draft pick and who games hasn't improved in four seasons.

So, pray tell me. What is it ....
A) Crap drafting.
B) Poor development.
As we seem to have more than a dozen players drafted to our club in the last seven years that went the same way as McBean and another dozen like Astbury who have never and never will reach any great heights.
Would like McBean played til season's end, but if he's a list clogger, I'm fie with it and he goes the same way as Helbig, McDonough, Arnott, Moore, Townsend, Dean MacDonald, Nason, Elton, Dea, Gordon, Verrier, Derickz, Ben Jakobi etc. etc.
And your club is telling you everything is fine.
We can't develop a player for s*** and that include sVickery who is miles short of being a top 8 draft pick and who games hasn't improved in four seasons.
inconvenient truths

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LIAM is now certain to be traded or delisted

Delisted is a bit harsh for a frosty Miller medalist ...so i'm thinking a 4th rounder or player swap?

Am I way off the mark?
Sam Grimley got delisted from the hawks and got the medal so it does happen. If we are to believe the hawks have the best development plans, then why did he fail in the end? maybe not every player will make it. Imo McBean comes into this category.

Our tall forward stock is looking really worrying right now. Before the start of this year, we had an AA Riewoldt, a reigning Frosty-Miller medallist in McBean, Vickery on the back of a great end to the season, Griffiths, exciting tall forward/ruck Chol and a promising Reece McKenzie as our stock of tall forwards.

Now, we have Riewoldt, a tried-but-dropped McBean that'll probably move on at season's end, Vickery that was dropped for a few weeks and will probably move on, Griffiths, a tall defender in Chol, and a retired Reece McKenzie.

If Griffiths moves on alongside the other guys, then we are left with Riewoldt and Chol. Looks like trouble to me.

Our tall forward stock is looking really worrying right now. Before the start of this year, we had an AA Riewoldt, a reigning Frosty-Miller medallist in McBean, Vickery on the back of a great end to the season, Griffiths, exciting tall forward/ruck Chol and a promising Reece McKenzie as our stock of tall forwards.

Now, we have Riewoldt, a tried-but-dropped McBean that'll probably move on at season's end, Vickery that was dropped for a few weeks and will probably move on, Griffiths, a tall defender in Chol, and a retired Reece McKenzie.

If Griffiths moves on alongside the other guys, then we are left with Riewoldt and Chol. Looks like trouble to me.
Which is why a key position player, hopefully forward, is our main draft priority. The stocks are bare ad even a #1 pick will take two years minimum to be up to scratch.
Our key position development and drafting has been diabolical.
Lucklily Rance was not such a good wingman or half forward and was sent back :)

Which is why a key position player, hopefully forward, is our main draft priority. The stocks are bare ad even a #1 pick will take two years minimum to be up to scratch.
Our key position development and drafting has been diabolical.
Lucklily Rance was not such a good wingman or half forward and was sent back :)
Definitely. If there is a KPF projected to go high in the draft, then they should go for them.

I read on a mainboard thread that most of the good KPFs nowadays (excluding those taken under F/S, academy or scholarship) are taken in the first round. Given that is the trend, I think we should follow it and use our first-rounder on one (A KPD wouldn't be bad to take either, but preferably a KPF).

But, this is only if there is a KPF that is actually expected to go around our first pick. None of this "take a KPF in the first round no matter the circumstance just coz we need one" because that is a recipe for disaster. We did this with Daniel Rioli where we took him at pick 12 because "we need a small forward and this guy's grandfather (or granduncle) played for us". Not saying he is a dud or will be bad or something like that, but just saying that I don't like that way of thinking.

Appears to be one of those players whom perform well-ish at VFL level, but can't quite make the transition to AFL level.

Definitely. If there is a KPF projected to go high in the draft, then they should go for them.

I read on a mainboard thread that most of the good KPFs nowadays (excluding those taken under F/S, academy or scholarship) are taken in the first round. Given that is the trend, I think we should follow it and use our first-rounder on one (A KPD wouldn't be bad to take either, but preferably a KPF).

But, this is only if there is a KPF that is actually expected to go around our first pick. None of this "take a KPF in the first round no matter the circumstance just coz we need one" because that is a recipe for disaster. We did this with Daniel Rioli where we took him at pick 12 because "we need a small forward and this guy's grandfather (or granduncle) played for us". Not saying he is a dud or will be bad or something like that, but just saying that I don't like that way of thinking.
That's exactly how it went for Rioli :)
We project a very long way out from the draft what we are going to do.

Sam Grimley got delisted from the hawks and got the medal so it does happen. If we are to believe the hawks have the best development plans, then why did he fail in the end? maybe not every player will make it. Imo McBean comes into this category.
Correct that not every Player makes it and not one Club nails every draft pick. Some Clubs however seem to be able to do both better than others however and even the most staunch Richmond sympathisers have to put the blowtorch on the Club in terms of drafting and development.

Correct that not every Player makes it and not one Club nails every draft pick. Some Clubs however seem to be able to do both better than others however and even the most staunch Richmond sympathisers have to put the blowtorch on the Club in terms of drafting and development.[/QUOTE]
not helenwheels

Appears to be one of those players whom perform well-ish at VFL level, but can't quite make the transition to AFL level.
That we'll never quite know.
His papers are stamped, but his development and management have been butchered.
I can't see why we don't just play him to season's end.
Recalling #29 means nothing!

Back