Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

instead of rewarding samson for kicking 7 goals in 2 weeks we're gonna reward kosi who has kicked 2 goals in 5 games (3 afl, 2 vfl, 1 goal in each)

make it make sense yze

it's 2 goals in 7 games if you count the preseason matches for kosi
Kozi is our Doozey for the Draft! Just about guarantees a good pick!

Sampson Ryan should be playing instead of Kozi. He's better in almost all facets of the game. He's a better overhead mark, kick for goal, lead and chop out in the ruck. Ryan's issue is his core strength. He needs more time working on his legs and arse. They should be getting him doing dead lifts 24/7 and developing his upright wrestling strength. Dusty should be his pin up boy.

Regardless, despit being pushed off the ball too easily, he is still a better half forward option who can push up the wings. Why he is not in the team while we are down to one big forward, is beyond me.

I'm not sold on Ryan. Seems soft and easily outbodied by blokes a foot shorter and 25kgs lighter but Naismith was so ineffective tonight I'd rather see Ryan selected ahead of him every single time. Big blokes take longer to develop so who knows with Ryan but no way is Naismith superior to him in the seniors. Might as well look to the youth every time at selection....... happy to carry Pickett to 100 though

Agree with others re playing him ahead of Naismith, particularly with us in full rebuild mode.
He’s going to disappoint at times though, so be prepared for some average performances.
Plenty have mentioned his strength needing improvement but endurance is just as big an issue. You can see his ruck work really drop off later in games in the VFL. Gets out bustled and you can see that he’s fatigued getting to contests
But showing enough forward and ruck to be playing next week

Bit odd this bloke isn't being given a chance with the position we're in....
I'm of the opinion that the reason he isn't getting game time in the AFL side, is because Yze is wanting to develop him as our next number 1 ruck. Last week we saw him take the majority of the ruck in the VFL game before Naismith came in as Ryan tired in the last quarter. If they played him in the AFL side, he'd be playing as a forward, with limited ruck minutes and I don't believe that suits Ryan as much as I used to.

Yze mentioned when he first got the job, that he wanted to put players in their best positions and for mine Ryan is best suited as a ruckman and he needs to be played in that position as often as possible to develop him in that role so that over the next 12 months or so he can step in and replace Nankervis.

Personally, I'm not shocked he hasn't been given a call up. His form in the VFL has been pretty good but his issue has never been VFL form. His issue has always been his inability to translate that form to AFL.
One of his biggest issues is body work. For a big bloke, his frame is still relatively slight in comparison to AFL key defenders and he gets pushed off his spot far too easily.

I'm sure he will eventually get another shot but 2025 will be make or break for him. Needs a big pre-season and really build that strength and muscle.

Personally, I'm not shocked he hasn't been given a call up. His form in the VFL has been pretty good but his issue has never been VFL form. His issue has always been his inability to translate that form to AFL.
One of his biggest issues is body work. For a big bloke, his frame is still relatively slight in comparison to AFL key defenders and he gets pushed off his spot far too easily.

I'm sure he will eventually get another shot but 2025 will be make or break for him. Needs a big pre-season and really build that strength and muscle.
Not sure that's correct he had patch first part of the season last year when Nank was out and looked good in ruck and was kicking goals. What's he played 10 games ? Needs a block of games.

Not sure that's correct he had patch first part of the season last year when Nank was out and looked good in ruck and was kicking goals.

You're right, he showed plenty to be encouraged about, but with junior rucks is that it's fairly typical for them to show a ton of promise for a handful of games when fully fit, then fall off a cliff once the reality of playing sore and with niggles kicks in.

What we see week in week out from a veteran like Nank through a season, is him playing sore from the bottom of the cliff and doing his best to compete.

Ryan is still two, maybe three pre-seasons away from being able to compete sore at senior level.

As I pointed out when we lost Soldo, there's a gaping hole in our ruck division without him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm of the opinion that the reason he isn't getting game time in the AFL side, is because Yze is wanting to develop him as our next number 1 ruck. Last week we saw him take the majority of the ruck in the VFL game before Naismith came in as Ryan tired in the last quarter. If they played him in the AFL side, he'd be playing as a forward, with limited ruck minutes and I don't believe that suits Ryan as much as I used to.

Yze mentioned when he first got the job, that he wanted to put players in their best positions and for mine Ryan is best suited as a ruckman and he needs to be played in that position as often as possible to develop him in that role so that over the next 12 months or so he can step in and replace Nankervis.
So if Ouzo want to play players in their best positons , why us Balta playing forward, Bolto forward pocket etc etc etc

You're right, he showed plenty to be encouraged about, but with junior rucks is that it's fairly typical for them to show a ton of promise for a handful of games when fully fit, then fall off a cliff once the reality of playing sore and with niggles kicks in.

What we see week in week out from a veteran like Nank through a season, is him playing sore from the bottom of the cliff and doing his best to compete.

Ryan is still two, maybe three pre-seasons away from being able to compete sore at senior level.

As I pointed out when we lost Soldo, there's a gaping hole in our ruck division without him.
The folly of letting soldo go because he wanted more game time , putting all your eggs in a undersized ruckman who get injured plenty

So if Ouzo want to play players in their best positons , why us Balta playing forward, Bolto forward pocket etc etc etc
In his best side that is where he sees those players playing their best footy. At the moment he doesn't have his best side available

The folly of letting soldo go because he wanted more game time , putting all your eggs in a undersized ruckman who get injured plenty

Doubt Soldo would have been impressed at having to be played as Port's best option key forward when he was sitting 2nd in league hitouts a few weeks back. ;)

CCJ is playing reserves at Norf and would be in our senior side every week.

Footy will always be a funny game. ;)

Use your height samson ….. it’s your biggest weapon
Step Over Doin Time GIF by Lana Del Rey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back