Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Sampson needs to keep monstering VFL defences week in week out. The leap from VFL to AFL is massive (I think a lot of punters here don't realise the gap) so unless he's dominating, not just playing well, he's not ready and like previously will be found out.

Hopefully he is smashing it in the gym too because most times he comes up against a mature ruck in marking contests he's being moved aside. That's understandable, he just needs to focus on making his core super strong. He can clunk a mark inside 50 which is why he shows so much promise.

Sampson needs to keep monstering VFL defences week in week out. The leap from VFL to AFL is massive (I think a lot of punters here don't realise the gap) so unless he's dominating, not just playing well, he's not ready and like previously will be found out.

Hopefully he is smashing it in the gym too because most times he comes up against a mature ruck in marking contests he's being moved aside. That's understandable, he just needs to focus on making his core super strong. He can clunk a mark inside 50 which is why he shows so much promise.

The clubs lack of action on the conditioning and medical team has been negligent at this point. Be is conditioning, building strength or avoiding & managing injuries, its been a big fat F now for 3 years.

Reckon he’ll come in for Kosi after the bye. Any improvement would be welcomed, but I’m not holding my breath.
Tough ask.

If he spends time in the ruck he gets Gawn.

If he's key forward he gets May, with Lever third man in the contest.

Let's not go too hard on the lad if he underperforms in this one. Maybe just put it down to a further learning opportunity.

KOsi was not monstering anybody and did SFA in the VFL

Yet he got a game

Reckon he’ll come in for Kosi after the bye. Any improvement would be welcomed, but I’m not holding my breath.
Yeah if Kosi wasn’t so obsolete I would let him develop longer in the VFL. However we can’t allow Kosi to get a game with his output as it’s setting bad standards for the team.

Tough ask.

If he spends time in the ruck he gets Gawn.

If he's key forward he gets May, with Lever third man in the contest.

Let's not go too hard on the lad if he underperforms in this one. Maybe just put it down to a further learning opportunity.
Miller and Ryan went up against Gawn and Grundy last year and went well for 3/4 until some genius decided to sub miller off and throw Balta in the ruck. Then it happened again later in the year. We have no choice now as Kosi is a write off.
Both games we were run over in the last quarter

Yeah if Kosi wasn’t so obsolete I would let him develop longer in the VFL. However we can’t allow Kosi to get a game with his output as it’s setting bad standards for the team.
I have hopes for Samson that in a couple of years he will fill out and start really clunking them, he’s got a lovely kicking action for a tall and has plenty of height on his side. Yeah can’t keep playing Kosi at the moment, wouldn’t be doing his own confidence any good - 3 year contract given to him seeming like a damn long time right now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on, especially when it comes to key position players.

The best thing for Ryan right now is to be playing VFL. Develop there and once as you say he starts dominating then reward him but until he can start dominating and demand selection week in week out then he isn't ready and it will do nothing for his development if he is in and out of the senior team.

if he doesn't come in for kosi after the bye it's gonna be so strange. it's not like we gave up a first rounder for kosi and so we're hoping he comes good

bring both ryan & naismith in so ryan doesn't have to ruck against gawn if that's what some are worried about. naismith had a lazy 15D(12K), 4T, 38HO, 11C on the weekend. downside to his game was only the 1 mark

instead of rewarding samson for kicking 7 goals in 2 weeks we're gonna reward kosi who has kicked 2 goals in 5 games (3 afl, 2 vfl, 1 goal in each)

make it make sense yze

it's 2 goals in 7 games if you count the preseason matches for kosi

The best thing for Ryan right now is to be playing VFL. Develop there and once as you say he starts dominating then reward him but until he can start dominating and demand selection week in week out then he isn't ready and it will do nothing for his development if he is in and out of the senior team.

I don't necessarily agree, he was drafted in 2020. It gives him quite a few years of development now with us and I think the coaches are getting a look at Kosi first under the presumption that he will help make us more competitive vs what Samson is able to bring to the table right now. But look at McAuliffe, two VFL games and now he's in the team (albeit due to injuries), if we get a few preferred mids back, he goes straight back to VFL. If Balta is back after the bye and it's in Balta, out Kosi, then we may not get much of a look in at Samson this year. I don't think he needs to be absolutely dominating to get look in.

Kosi wasn't dominating in VFL so you can't have one rule for him and one for another guy targeting the same spot.

I don't necessarily agree, he was drafted in 2020. It gives him quite a few years of development now with us and I think the coaches are getting a look at Kosi first under the presumption that he will help make us more competitive vs what Samson is able to bring to the table right now. But look at McAuliffe, two VFL games and now he's in the team (albeit due to injuries), if we get a few preferred mids back, he goes straight back to VFL. If Balta is back after the bye and it's in Balta, out Kosi, then we may not get much of a look in at Samson this year. I don't think he needs to be absolutely dominating to get look in.

Kosi wasn't dominating in VFL so you can't have one rule for him and one for another guy targeting the same spot.

Wrong mindset. It's about what is best for his development, use the VFL to allow him to focus on the areas of his game that needs to improve without the pressure of needing to perform in front of 40,000. Sure he could come into the AFL side, play a role that long term he isn't going to be playing and do a similarly ordinary job as what Kosi is but that doesn't develop him and more than likely takes a step back.

100% most vfl sides only have one decent ish key back and one afl level ruck if they are lucky so the guys who are actually in the AFL system have a big leg up against the weekend warriors

maybe give him a run later in the year in the srs but for now just keep building him, especially that forward craft

I remember reading that we were looking to sign him for 3 years so if that’s the case we should definitely play the long game and not worry about this year to much

Just get games into him while Balta isn't there. I don't think Kosi is developable (at least not as a key forward), whereas Ryan definitely is.
Wouldn’t go that far
They are both the same age I’m pretty sure

Just get games into him while Balta isn't there. I don't think Kosi is developable (at least not as a key forward), whereas Ryan definitely is.
kozi cant hold a mark and is slow and dumb as treacle

his afl career is over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back