Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll be interested to see when and how he plays this year. He looks dangerous when he rests forward but he is still too easily pushed around. I wonder on the forward/ruck structure - will we just play Nank/Naismith with Balta the 2nd chop-out ruck or play Nank/Naismith, Balta and Sampson as the 2nd ruck.

I for one rate Ryan and think he can be very damaging as he develops. Just needs more opportunity.

Mopes around the ground jogging at half pace with no urgency.

Has the turning circle of an old overpacked school bus and the footy IQ of a donkey.

If I recall correctly - he got zero possessions in his first game a couple of years ago. Not AFL level then, not AFL level now.

Still trying to work out the logic of his selection yesterday
With Balta and Kosi both able to play 2nd ruck, it was 1 too many talls
My concern with Ryan is he has no spring/leap to compensate lack of body strength.
He doesn't have much.... Not even an inkling of excitement but he must be showing something at training for yze to pick him

He doesn't have much.... Not even an inkling of excitement but he must be showing something at training for yze to pick him
He wasn’t setting the world alight in the practice matches, and he doesn’t seem to have added bulk or strength over the offseason.
I reckon that’s what he has to do if he’s going to be any chance of making it. Ok he has height, but no vertical leap, so he’s not jumping over packs or opposition rucks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My concern with Ryan is he has no spring/leap to compensate lack of body strength.
He showed a bit in his first 7-8 games , has shown nothing since and I mean nothing

In Hindsight Samson's selection reduced our running game...

He showed a bit in his first 7-8 games , has shown nothing since and I mean nothing
If your going to pick them at least make sure they have some Ressies form...Samson got thrown to the wolves and had no form to justify his selection!

It was weird as he was tracking ok and it then got to the cold months of the year and he went to s**t. The MC continued to play him for around six games too many and he went to total s**t. Even in the vfl he wasn’t his usual self. I think he’s too soft and meek for the game with a list of deficiencies greater than my to do list. He should be delisted asap as he’s just not afl standard.

He's not ready to ruck at AFL level. That was clear 2 weeks ago, yet he was still picked this week. Terrible selection by the match committee.

Needs to go back to VFL and play full forward. If he's in the side this year it should be as a KPF only.
Zackly...if he's going to make it...I reckon it will be as a forward...pinch hit Ruck!

It was weird as he was tracking ok and it then got to the cold months of the year and he went to s**t. The MC continued to play him for around six games too many and he went to total s**t. Even in the vfl he wasn’t his usual self. I think he’s too soft and meek for the game with a list of deficiencies greater than my to do list. He should be delisted asap as he’s just not afl standard.

Sadly, all you have said is true.

Might be a bit reactive here but I'm ready to pull the trigger - Balta back, Sampson forward, Kozi VFL. I'm happy to be proven wrong over the next few weeks but after that, make the switch Yze.

Sampson has the mobility, height and finishing skills to be a threat up forward and a great foil to Lynch. Our backline looks undersized and weak without Balta as FB. Balta has the athletics skills but hasn't the smarts to find space and create goals as a key forward imho. Kozi moves like snail caught in a snow storm.

I'm backing Yze to prove me wrong but, we don't need two key forwards and a 2nd ruck.

Might be a bit reactive here but I'm ready to pull the trigger - Balta back, Sampson forward, Kozi VFL. I'm happy to be proven wrong over the next few weeks but after that, make the switch Yze.

Sampson has the mobility, height and finishing skills to be a threat up forward and a great foil to Lynch. Our backline looks undersized and weak without Balta as FB. Balta has the athletics skills but hasn't the smarts to find space and create goals as a key forward imho. Kozi moves like snail caught in a snow storm.

I'm backing Yze to prove me wrong but, we don't need two key forwards and a 2nd ruck.
Samson and Kosi are b grade vfl and you want them in our senior side? No way should these two blokes play again in our seniors as they’re not at the standard.

Samson and Kosi are b grade vfl and you want them in our senior side? No way should these two blokes play again in our seniors as they’re not at the standard.

I want Sampson up forward. Koz in the VFL. Sampson needs size. He can't compete against other ruckmen until he has the core strength to wrestle and body them out of the way at contests. The fitness coaches should be getting him to follow Dusty around in the gym :sneaky:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back