Player Watch #31: Oleg Markov

Remove this Banner Ad

And that's a fair call. Better to groom a younger replacement than an older one.

I'm actually more concerned about replacing Grimes and Astbury in the future.

So out of interest, who do you see taking Houli's spot once he retires?
dont know anything about the guys who havent played, but i do like the look of the eggman. i feel we judge young players far too harshly in the 'soft' category and theres a myriad of reasons why a player might appear soft early on but grow out of it (from not having the confidence to attack the ball, not having the pace of the game to make quick decisions, to flat out misjudging the ball due to inexperience).

but whats more likely is that if houli misses games next year, either grimes takes his place and broad plays the pure lockdown, one of kmac/pickett roll back, or we just play with short and baker and bring in another winger type.

If he goes he goes. Disappointing for us... maybe. Let’s see what he does elsewhere.

Might be the unluckiest Richmond player to not have a premiership medal. Played seniors in each of 17, 19 and 20.

Oleg was probably one year too late in his development to establish himself in Richmond’s side. If he had the year he did this year, last year, he would’ve been well placed to establish himself in the 22 in 2020. The fact that Houli has still been a very solid player post-2017 didn’t help Oleg’s cause. Just didn’t blossom quick enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmonds 23rd best players are top 5 players in other clubs. Saw it last year with Butler. Second round pick or they can fu** off. We already have them 3 players for free

Markov will add run with retirement / downfall of hanley and harbrow.

Not really sure if you’re joking about him being a top 5 player anywhere else.
I mean Reece conca, anthony miles great examples right there.

The second round pick. Sure..

Markov will get better money at GC, get a game every week in an emerging side. If he stays he may get a regular game, but maybe not. Not much choice really. Good luck to him, he deserves a run at it to see if he is any good.

You don't mind him going to GC and being a gun. Better than going to a VIC club and coming good.

Nothing we can’t replace though. If he was top 4 team quality he would of played 50+ games by now.
I agree he can be replaced but he was the most unlucky player on the list this year, maybe Caddy also, so he would get a game in any other list you'd think. He will be a good player you'd think at GD, so a pick 25-35 pick would be about fair you'd think. Has a lot of AFL traits, so it is not like we are giving away a player who has peaked and has no significant upside.

Richmonds 23rd best players are top 5 players in other clubs. Saw it last year with Butler. Second round pick or they can fu** off. We already have them 3 players for free
Ellis & Miles? big loss . I don't think we'll ever recover. Don't know how we managed to win B2B flags. Well 2020 was just a COVID cup. Will always be an * Same as 2019 bit of an asterix too. Injured interstate club at our home ground

Who you got in mind for the improved pick in the draft? Callow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back