Player Watch #31: Oleg Markov

Remove this Banner Ad

Put five years into him, never really looked like it and then came in and played well with hgreat kicking and found space off half back for six games and then he's gone.
It's a funny game.

24 is an interesting age, could surprise a few up at Gold Coast, with opportunity could really develop

Running off half back is the 'easiest' position on the field to play.
Not saying it's easy as the best of the best who do it are game breakers, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone of equal or better value in that role.
Come at me. But it's not like we are losing a KPP or a mid.

This! Why does not the club ensure him, he'll get his opportunity
Exactly, so what youd rather play with gold coke?
Doubt its about money.
Ah well good luck to him, his choice in the end.

Has to be pick 33 maybe 56 going there, no way pick 71 I will be filthy at the club it alright to help players out , but let's not get burned.Would you do our pick 19 for 24 and 33.

Running off half back is the 'easiest' position on the field to play.
Not saying it's easy as the best of the best who do it are game breakers, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone of equal or better value in that role.
Come at me. But it's not like we are losing a KPP or a mid.
Interesting stat.
5 B&F winners this year are HBF's.

Interesting stat.
5 B&F winners this year are HBF's.
Which suggests to me we have that position covered.
He wants game time. He deserves it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, so what youd rather play with gold coke?
Doubt its about money.
Ah well good luck to him, his choice in the end.
I’m sure money will play a part. This could be his last opportunity at this level. Another 2 years with an extra few hundred thou could be big for a player at his level/position.
Plus opportunity to play. As much as I’m sure he want to win a premiership, he also has to make sure he gets the most out of the game in the next 2-4 which are his best years.

This! Why does not the club ensure him, he'll get his opportunity
Because somebody else will have to miss out!
You can't make those sort of promises.
He's good enough for starting 22 at the Suns, and good luck to him.
Losing fringe players is going to be the price we pay for this period of success.

Whats with all the best wishes crap? I hope he continues to be a squib plays like sh*t and gets delisted. What a waste of 5 years.
No need to be bitter. We're premiers.

Have a beer mate, no need to s**t on players for doing what's best for themselves.

I actually thought he was next in line to take Houli's role when he retires. Egg-Mol isn't cutting it for mine. Perhaps they have one of the new recruits lined up instead?

Atm our backline in 2/3 years will consist of -

Broad Balta ???
Short Vlaustin ???
Baker

So with Astbury, Grimes and Houli all needing replacements, I thought we at least had Markov sitting in the wings to take one spot.

In the end, someone will step up. I'm sure we have good kids moving through the ranks who will fill the void and surprize us. If there is one thing about this rejuvenated club we follow, it that we can trust them to plan and solve problems.

With Markov leaving, it opens to the way for others and creates additional competitiveness and motivation across the squad. Markov was a good average toiler, perhaps even a list clogger. I wish him every success (except against us) up at the Suns but we need as strong and committed players as we can get. That's not you mate!

Wishing him all the best, he has filled in admirably when needed but would be facing a long wait to cement a spot on our backline. Butler did well at the Saints and I am really pleased for him, we knew he was good but still won the flag with others just as capable in his role. Let's hope Markov locks down a spot on the half back line for the Suns and enjoys the rest of his career. The fine print in his contract must include no helping the Suns beat us in a final ...

I actually thought he was next in line to take Houli's role when he retires. Egg-Mol isn't cutting it for mine. Perhaps they have one of the new recruits lined up instead?

Atm our backline in 2/3 years will consist of -

Broad Balta ???
Short Vlaustin ???
Baker

So with Astbury, Grimes and Houli all needing replacements, I thought we at least had Markov sitting in the wings to take one spot.

In the end, someone will step up. I'm sure we have good kids moving through the ranks who will fill the void and surprize us. If there is one thing about this rejuvenated club we follow, it that we can trust them to plan and solve problems.

With Markov leaving, it opens to the way for others and creates additional competitiveness and motivation across the squad. Markov was a good average toiler, perhaps even a list clogger. I wish him every success (except against us) up at the Suns but we need as strong and committed players as we can get. That's not you mate!
yeah, but in 3 years markov is 27. for his and the clubs sake its not good to have a player sit on a list for 8 years waiting for a player to retire so he can play 3-4 years max.

fact is, he was overtaken by short and baker fairly quickly, and even broad is borderline merely because of how stacked our backline is. with houli going on its probably in both best interest for him to move on.

yeah, but in 3 years markov is 27. for his and the clubs sake its not good to have a player sit on a list for 8 years waiting for a player to retire so he can play 3-4 years max.

fact is, he was overtaken by short and baker fairly quickly, and even broad is borderline merely because of how stacked our backline is. with houli going on its probably in both best interest for him to move on.

And that's a fair call. Better to groom a younger replacement than an older one.

I'm actually more concerned about replacing Grimes and Astbury in the future.

So out of interest, who do you see taking Houli's spot once he retires?

And that's a fair call. Better to groom a younger replacement than an older one.

I'm actually more concerned about replacing Grimes and Astbury in the future.

So out of interest, who do you see taking Houli's spot once he retires?
I would say it’s more Short takes Houli’s spot, Baker takes Shorts and then who takes Bakers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back