AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

I did not say the whole data base was click bait.

I said the playerx rating is.
If everyone else can produce some sort of list then why can they not do it based of stats ?
Why should it matter if it is not a complete picture and just a stats picture?

It is not really click bait as they are not using it to draw you into paying for their stats as it is restricted to organisations and not the public.

If everyone else can produce some sort of list then why can they not do it based of stats ?
Why should it matter if it is not a complete picture and just a stats picture?

It is not really click bait as they are not using it to draw you into paying for their stats as it is restricted to organisations and not the public.

Click bait isn't just dragging you in to paying for something, it's for engaging.

Saying MERRETT RATED 70TH BEST IN AFL is definitely looking for engagement.

It was more clickbait for SEN rather than champion data, they couldve explained the x rating better in their articles/headlines reporting on the segment but chose to just go with the clickbaity headline of "dale 3rd best player" and "merrett 70th" without the additional context.

Honestly at times I'm left wondering if people are aware things change. There's no such thing as a direct opponent in the midfield for a full game anymore, his contract is not huge salary cap breaking anymore and his defensive efforts are better than they were in 2022.
I saw Parish and Kelly shoulder to shoulder at a CBA. Does that constitute direct opponents in this modern game?

Click bait isn't just dragging you in to paying for something, it's for engaging.

Saying MERRETT RATED 70TH BEST IN AFL is definitely looking for engagement.
Engagement into what ? They are a stats company that has limited access to the public.
Secondly they are not actually saying he is the 70th rated in the AFL. They are saying he is the 70th rated based on their recorded stats. It is not that hard to work out. They have continually said it is only based on the stats and nothing else.
All I am seeing is non engagement of what the actual product is.

Yep sometimes. He was also shoulder to shoulder with Petruccelle, Reid, sheed, Gibney and Yeo at different CBAs. Sometimes he was by himself.
My point was going to be that when Parish was on Kelly at a CBA, when they both went for the ball Parish bumped into Kelly, went to ground and rolled off screen leaving Kelly to get the ball for an inside 50. That's my biggest knock on him. Nifty player otherwise

My point was going to be that when Parish was on Kelly at a CBA, when they both went for the ball Parish bumped into Kelly, went to ground and rolled off screen leaving Kelly to get the ball for an inside 50. That's my biggest knock on him. Nifty player otherwise
Might have got my wires crossed over people, someone earlier had discounted parish’s game because Tim Kelly was one of the best performed players on the field. Play on😀

Cb it’s usually system vs system, you never tag in a centre bounce, but usually players get paired up. It’s about owning a particular zone of the stoppage.
Yep sometimes. He was also shoulder to shoulder with Petruccelle, Reid, sheed, Gibney and Yeo at different CBAs. Sometimes he was by himself.

Ball ups and throw in though, it’s far more important for your midfield except usually wingers to be paired up. A free man might come from the forwardline, and be the hit player or pair up an oppo player freeing up a midfielder. that leaves usually an oppo defender free though. Then it’s what’s more important winning stoppage vs allowing them a free defender. Another way to get an extra is skinny winger rolls up inside but then it leaves you vulnerable defensively. Tags are rare these days but usually players pair up around the ground and are responsible for that player at that stoppage. Or the player might get the role to match a certain player at stoppage.

The most annoying thing I notice about parish is he loves standing by himself or has a token arm on his oppo. I have no qualms with him standing by himself at cb though as long as it’s a part of the system they are running. He is elite at cb.

Engagement into what ? They are a stats company that has limited access to the public.
Secondly they are not actually saying he is the 70th rated in the AFL. They are saying he is the 70th rated based on their recorded stats. It is not that hard to work out. They have continually said it is only based on the stats and nothing else.
All I am seeing is non engagement of what the actual product is.

Sometimes engagement is the end goal in and of itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where does he rank in our midfield mix at the moment? I rate it as follows:

Clear starting mids:
Merrett
Durham

CBA rotations depending on match ups:
Caldwell
Stringer
Setterfield
Perkins

Starting forward pushing into midfield:
Perkins (if full squad to choose from)
Hobbs
Parish
Shiel?

Where does he rank in our midfield mix at the moment? I rate it as follows:

Clear starting mids:
Merrett
Durham

CBA rotations depending on match ups:
Caldwell
Stringer
Setterfield
Perkins

Starting forward pushing into midfield:
Perkins (if full squad to choose from)
Hobbs
Parish
Shiel?

Probably 5th or 6th

Durham, Perkins and one of Setterfield/Stringer as the 3 decent sized mids and Merrett as No1 small mid.

Then Caldwell/Parish as your 2nd/3rd small mid and if that’s more valuable then your 3rd larger mid

Then
8th Hobbs
9th Tsatas
10th Sheil

Merrett / Durham / Stringer
Parish / Caldwell / Perkins
Whoever is playing out of Hobbs, Tsatas and Shiel.

Setterfield is just depth now with the rise of Durham and Caldwell/Perkins improvement, depth is good especially when it comes from a winger turning into a beast of mid like Durham

This mix is so much better than the Merett, Parish and Shiel days with Stringer pinch hitting.

Not trying to s**t on Tsatas but if you were able to look into the future you're 100% taking Humphries now, especially if the plan is for Martin to eventually move in as well.

Setters is great as a team-orientated taller mid back-up.

Kind of makes you realise how far back Tsatas is in the pecking order.
Could this finally, finally, fiiiinally be the time we actually have some midfield depth?! I have no problem with the idea that a young kid will need to spend 3-4 years learning his craft in the VFL before coming into the starting midfield. See Geelong.

Two things then happen.. pressure for spots, guys coming in knowing the standard and keen to hold their spot and if there really isn't a spot then you have a ready list of trade assets that you can use to continue to turn over your list.

FWIW.. Tsatas had another very good game in the VFL. I expect that he will get the nod ahead of Davey at some point.

I still rate parish as a very good midfielder.. very good. But how great that he is now part of a team that can share the load. Only a good thing if Parish is your 5th/6th midfielder.

Interesting correlation between his reduced possession rate and involvement and our best performances is brewing.

I guess it is all of the massive and selfless work he is doing off the ball.

As someone else said, I wouldn't be surprised if they're restructuring his game to make it more team focused. Any major change like that is going to be one step forward and 2 steps back until it all clicks into place.

I get where you're coming from, I used to feel similarly towards Parish. But Scott has the team playing good team footy, and if he can get Parish to buy into the team structure while eventually getting the best out of him it will be a win win.

I must admit I don't have any of those moments where I feel Parish is just seagulling possessions off other players, or kicking it straight down the throat of the opposition when he's in the clear, so something has definately changed for the better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back