Delisted 27 . Sam Menegola (2016 - 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

As I was reading through his thread on the Freo board, though, this post really had me chuckling:

What came to mind for me was that new Geelong? Recruit who's a distance runner by career first & foremost. He's trying out for the 2012-16 Olympics and clocks an 8:30 3km time trial. over a minute faster than Brad Hill's recent draft camp exploits. It doesn't neccesarily mean this guy knows his way around a footy field and I dare say he'll be wasting his time at Geelong.

I think it's a bit unusual that we picked him up.
He is a mature player but I would have preferred Snelling or Parsons who somehow got missed as a Mid options.
I don't rate Snelling enough for the top league. He get's a lot of one-two possessions which inflate his averages; he is only 173cm so he is likely to be a small forward in the big league and I think there is better forward options. Snelling doesn't look like he has a big kick either, and he is not the fastest either. His main weapon is feeding the ball out of traffic by hand.

I'm very impressed by those figures, the guy may well dominate in the VFL team, I welcome his inclusion on the senior list.
He's an imposing sight in the vids.

....and strong on both sides with good hands....and hard at it. If he can transfer his WAFL form to the VFL, he just might crack a game or three at AFL level.

Just reading through the Hawthorn and Fremantle threads during his time at each club, it seems a big part of him leaving Hawthorn was a desire to return home to WA. Would he be happy moving back down to Victoria again now?
4 or 5 years older now,plus living in the Geelong area is better than the hustle & bustle of Melbourne suburbs.

When your first pick is No.66...
A mature play poses less risk than a late pick 17 year old kid.
You know what you are getting.
He has been in the AFL system
He has come from two finals playing clubs Hawks and Freo
It's hard for good players to break into top teams
He has played good football in the WAFL
He will be hungrier to prove himself.

... plus his video suggests he can play
deserves a chance,
it's up to him to grab this opportunity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a good pick I reckon, will be interesting to see how we use him, wouldn't have thought a ready made 23 Year Old would rot in the VFL.

Sam has elite endurance and can play. Definitely above WAFL level, but disposal has always been a question mark for AFL level. Would have loved to see him debut for Freo, and pleased to see him getting another opportunity.

Hopefully he doesn't hurt us too much though. ;)

Excuse my presence, but on Sam, when he was at Freo, he dominated down at Peel.
Great runner, great tank and could get the ball, but his disposal from memory was inadequate

Sam has elite endurance and can play. Definitely above WAFL level, but disposal has always been a question mark for AFL level. Would have loved to see him debut for Freo, and pleased to see him getting another opportunity.

Hopefully he doesn't hurt us too much though. ;)

"But his coach at Subiaco, former West Coast, Port Adelaide and Fremantle midfielder Jarrad Schofield, was certain that he had the attributes to make it in the big time.

“He kicks goals, he gets clearances. He was always a natural forward as a junior,” Schofield said.

“Now what we’re seeing with his game is his inside work an an on-baller, and because of his elite endurance he posts big numbers.

“He’s always getting his 30-plus possessions because of his high work ethic and his running capabilities are AFL standard.”
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-11-24/get-to-know-sam-menegola

;)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back