Player Watch #25 Tom McDonald - In to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Quality interview with Tommy Mac on the Tossers podcast. Dunno how else to share it.

Interesting stuff around his injury, the forward line and general Melbourne chat.

Also some decent bbq chat.

This thread title just reminded me he's signed for another year

I was a bit sad when I was going away for the majority of the season where I wouldn’t be able to watch the footy.

Now I’m pretty stoked I don’t have to watch old McDonald move around the field like an ancient horse drawn plough.
Yeah I'm leaving for Europe on Thursday for 3 months. Half way through the third quarter I was like "heck these idiots, they can't hurt me anymore"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Omac is now the best footballer in the family
Shocked Face Wow GIF

In all seriousness though, I'd rather remember him for the good performances he put in over the years (that final game at Subi against the Eagles, for example), than where things are at now. But that's getting harder and harder as each week passes.

Surely an amicable separation at the end of the year has to be considered, even if he's contracted through 2024.

Shocked Face Wow GIF

In all seriousness though, I'd rather remember him for the good performances he put in over the years (that final game at Subi against the Eagles, for example), than where things are at now. But that's getting harder and harder as each week passes.

Surely an amicable separation at the end of the year has to be considered, even if he's contracted through 2024.

No way we can keep him and Brown into next year, at least one has to go. Would much rather punt on a kid than wheel either of those two out (Although I wouldn't play Jefferson this year unless he is absolutely bashing the door down).

Both can heck off, what do they actually offer other than stopping Jefferson and JVR from developing. Pay them both out and move on.

Jefferson this season is going through the same thing JVR went through for a fair bit of the last season at Casey . Was only towards the end of the season that the team started going to JVR . (IMO) . With BB , Smith , Melksham and Schache also loitering around as well I think it’s hampering Jeffersons development. I hope we can get some of the old guys to retire.

Jefferson this season is going through the same thing JVR went through for a fair bit of the last season at Casey . Was only towards the end of the season that the team started going to JVR . (IMO) . With BB , Smith , Melksham and Schache also loitering around as well I think it’s hampering Jeffersons development. I hope we can get some of the old guys to retire.
100% need to f* off Brown and Tmac. Jefferson can't get a look in. His development is going to stagnate for 2 years with these two clowns on the list.

100% need to f* off Brown and Tmac. Jefferson can't get a look in. His development is going to stagnate for 2 years with these two clowns on the list.
I mean, bit harsh on premiership forwards calling them clowns and some of the virtiol in the thread. Even if I'm on board with cutting them and not playing TMac again.

I mean, bit harsh on premiership forwards calling them clowns and some of the virtiol in the thread. Even if I'm on board with cutting them and not playing TMac again.

Agree, I think Tmac over the journey has copped way too much vitriol often based on his personality etc.
But I think it was questionable of him to play on this year and would be downright selfish to try and go around next year.

Having said that, from his point of view you could say the club signed a contract and he's entitled to what they agree to. A lesson to the club about tacking an extra year or two onto everyone's contract to get a deal done.

Agree, I think Tmac over the journey has copped way too much vitriol often based on his personality etc.
But I think it was questionable of him to play on this year and would be downright selfish to try and go around next year.

Having said that, from his point of view you could say the club signed a contract and he's entitled to what they agree to. A lesson to the club about tacking an extra year or two onto everyone's contract to get a deal done.
We dont really know what his contract looks like. He could have taken a paycut to give him a couple of extra years

We dont really know what his contract looks like. He could have taken a paycut to give him a couple of extra years

Yeah but taking lower pay in the later years doesn't help with the problem of having players on the list who are no longer up to it in the final year/s of their contract. You have to rely on them to retire or accept a trade while they've still got a contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back