Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetta's kids wore Swans guernsey's during their recent visit to the club.

Seriously, people need to be as mature as the players are about it. Especially since player movement is becoming more common.

Not sure the link with Jetta, were we playing West Coast that week with him coming out to honour both clubs?

Very different circumstances mate.

Buddy fulfilled his deal, he is more a Hawk than a Swan in his heart I would guess, won flags there. What his kids do, or support is none of our business.

If anything I suspect he doesn't passionately care about either club, other than keeping his brand awareness, which is fine. , he isn't ever going coaching or footy media etc

Pretty disappointing to travel all the way down from Cairns for a thanks to Buddy and didn’t even travel to the Swans cheer squad where I was near for big cheer.

Lack of fitness

Pretty disappointing to travel all the way down from Cairns for a thanks to Buddy and didn’t even travel to the Swans cheer squad where I was near for big cheer.

Don't be silly he was there for both Swans and Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Righto. Just the visit to Hawks cheer squad only was interesting, plus no ref to Swans at all. But thanks for clearing that up.
I was being sarcastic. Read the last few posts in this thread. I agree with you.

Disrespectful my arse!!!

Wow! Get a grip... what's it got to do with any of us who he supports... it's his choice!

He's been nothing but positive about the Swans, his time here, the coaches and the fans! He more than fulfilled his contract... and now he's done. Let him do whatever he wants and leave him alone.

Disrespectful my arse!!!

Wow! Get a grip... what's it got to do with any of us who he supports... it's his choice!

He's been nothing but positive about the Swans, his time here, the coaches and the fans! He more than fulfilled his contract... and now he's done. Let him do whatever he wants and leave him alone.
But hang on - isn’t Hawthorn the club that his indigenous teammates (Cyril included) claim was rife with racism?

This wasn’t about support - it was about marketing. Hawthorn told Buddy exactly what to say and he did so.

And if it wasn’t just a paid marketing slot, how hard would it have been to acknowledge both sets of fans?

Storm in a teacup I know - but he is beloved by Swans fans and today he kinda just “dissed them” (or at least that’s how my kids put it).

Last edited:
But hang on - isn’t Hawthorn the club that his indigenous teammates (Cyril included) claim was rife with racism?

This wasn’t about support - it was about marketing. Hawthorn told Buddy exactly what to say and he did so.

And if it wasn’t just a paid marketing slot, how hard would it have been to acknowledge both sets of fans?

Storm in a teacup I know - but he is beloved by Swans fans and today he kinda just “dissed them” (or at least that’s how by my kids put it).
No he didn't... they don't own him, he can't be living his life how other people think fit... that's just rubbish!

I'm not touching what you kids said with a 10 foot pole, however, at some stage 'grown up' fans need to understand that just because they like someone doesn't mean they have any rights over their lives, behaviours or choices! He was at the MCG, the home of Hawthorn, the place it all started for him... In my view, all they people crying over Hawthorn are disrespecting Buddy's choices.

I didn't listen to what he had to say (just not that interested), but I'll be very surprised if he didn't mention us positively, because he always, always does when talking about his career!

No he didn't... they don't own him, he can't be living his life how other people think fit... that's just rubbish!

I'm not touching what you kids said with a 10 foot pole, however, at some stage 'grown up' fans need to understand that just because they like someone doesn't mean they have any rights over their lives, behaviours or choices! He was at the MCG, the home of Hawthorn, the place it all started for him... In my view, all they people crying over Hawthorn are disrespecting Buddy's choices.

I didn't listen to what he had to say (just not that interested), but I'll be very surprised if he didn't mention us positively, because he always, always does when talking about his career!

He said something about two great clubs

Not sure what people thought he would be doing

He said something about two great clubs

Not sure what people thought he would be doing
I knew I’d get my head shot off if I stuck it above the parapet & questioned Buddy!

I believe he did exactly what he was paid to do. And looked quite uncomfortable doing it. As Kirkswan said, nobody has the right to tell him what to do - but doesn’t mean I have to agree with everything he does.

In any event, I still have a bit of trouble reconciling - is Hawthorn a great club (as Buddy said), or a mob who turned a blind eye to rampant racism from the coaching staff (as some of his former teammates allege)?

It’s fraught territory & will always generate fairly passionate views among those of us who don’t know the truth. I’d love to know what Buddy really thinks when he’s not given a script to recite.

Last edited:
I loved seeing Buddy today, but as a Swans fanatic I was so disappointed when they asked him something about his greatest memories in footy, he replied his premierships with the Hawks, a couple of other moments, again with the Hawks, didn’t rate one great moment with the Swans, I was just dumbfounded that his moment on the SCG kicking his 1000th goal with the crowd just swarming onto the ground and chairing him off did get a mention, yes I love Buddy, he was so brilliant, just loved him playing for us, but I am really surprised and prettiest disappointed, maybe I’m missing something here!!!

Back