Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

I think you're reading a bit into this. They're at Hawthorn at the time and it's just the kids in some gear.
I find it a bit disrespectful - we paid
Buddy more than any other player for 10 years & then in the week we play his previous employer, he comes out in support of them.

I know some take the view that Buddy can do no wrong - but in this case, I view it as a bit of a slap in the face to Swans fans.

Hopefully he shows a bit of neutrality in the game day appearance.

Buddy more than any other player for 10 years & then in the week we play his previous employer, he comes out in support of them.

I know some take the view that Buddy can do no wrong - but in this case, I view it as a bit of a slap in the face to Swans fans.

Yeah seemed like he couldn't get out of Sydney fast enough when he retired and this doesn't do much to change that impression.

Hopefully he at least shows a bit of neutrality on game day.
Unless there's something he's said that I've missed, it's your assumption that he's supporting them (over us). He's visited the club he started at, won 2 flags with, his kids were probably given some tops.

I really don't know why there's a problem here.

Father/son/daughter - Hawks. But most likely they'll end up at the Suns if he stays up on the Gold Coast.
They only live about 20 minutes from Carrara stadium, so yeah, I'll be putting my money on the GC.

GC academy.

Bris also have 4 Hodge boys tied to their academy.
Crawfords to your academy.

We're screwed.
GC making out like bandits here. They also have 3 Halls with a 4th on the way.

Nup, sorry - but if the Franklins are going to turn out clearly in support of Hawthorn …… how can I, as a Swans fan, be happy about it?

You have a little idea how the Hawk fans felt when Buddy was poached for SFA 🤣.

Buddy was a premiership Hawk first, so this should not come as a surprise. Beside best way to promote his book, to get both Hawk and Swan fans pay up.

GC academy.

Bris also have 4 Hodge boys tied to their academy.
Crawfords to your academy.

We're screwed.

Hodge is a Hawk, you only have to listen to the way he speaks. A Cooper was at dad’s HFC hall of fame night, he remembers the 3peat with his dad. There is hope for Hawks F/S.

Swans were lucky with Blakey!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge is a Hawk, you only have to listen to the way he speaks. A Cooper was at dad’s HFC hall of fame night, he remembers the 3peat with his dad. There is hope for Hawks F/S.

Swans were lucky with Blakey!

And unlucky with Dunkley. Just how it goes.

Buddy is retired, he is no longer being paid by any AFL club.

Apart from a premiership, Buddy achieved a lot for and with the swans. He put bums on seats for the Swans and helped attracted new memberships.

Let Buddy and his family enjoy his achievements with both clubs.

Buddy was drafted as a young guy by the Hawks, grew up there, formed lifelong friendships there (eg Roughie and Lewis) and had premiership success at the club.

By the time he arrived in Sydney he was in a different phase of his life off field.

Franklin gave his all for the Swans and his commitment to the club should never be questioned.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest however that the 'pull' to his original club might be a bit stronger.

Although having said that and yes probably a bit petty but I'd have preferred if the kids wore 'neutral' tops. :sadv1:

Isn’t there a dispute between his dad Andrew and the Swans? Pretty sure I read that, but I could be wrong
Yes there was. His ultimatum was he wanted to stay in Melbourne but if another interstate team bid on him he would rather join the swans.

Buddy was drafted as a young guy by the Hawks, grew up there, formed lifelong friendships there (eg Roughie and Lewis) and had premiership success at the club.

By the time he arrived in Sydney he was in a different phase of his life off field.

Franklin gave his all for the Swans and his commitment to the club should never be questioned.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest however that the 'pull' to his original club might be a bit stronger.

Although having said that and yes probably a bit petty but I'd have preferred if the kids wore 'neutral' tops. :sadv1:

The swans and there fans got there lap of honour with Buddy and his fam, they were all in swans gear.

The joys of champion players, playing for more than one club.

Isn’t there a dispute between his dad Andrew and the Swans? Pretty sure I read that, but I could be wrong
The story I heard was that he was filthy at being pushed into retirement when he felt like he had another year or two in him.

I'm not surprised if he sees himself more as a Hawk, spent his younger years there and achieved his most significant honours there. Came up to Sydney cause it suited his lifestyle. Didn't quite get the premiership glory at Sydney he would have hoped for so not quite the same emotional attachment to the swans. And yes, he got the same number of AAs and scoring titles, but overall achieved greater things at Hawthorn.

Jetta's kids wore Swans guernsey's during their recent visit to the club.

Seriously, people need to be as mature as the players are about it. Especially since player movement is becoming more common.

Back