Prediction 22under22 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Only one North player made the squad. For a team that's been bottom 4 the last 4 years that's horrid. What a mess.
Also been a little unlucky, Wardlaw, Phillips, Powell, Comben, Archer, Bergman, Goater and Ford have all missed at least 7/8 games through injury this season. I'm not saying any of them deserve to make the squad based on their performances this season, although Wardlaw has looked very good, but they haven't had the continuity either.

Can y'all do the right thing and vote for Newcombe this year please.

Didn't make it last year despite winning the coaches association young player of the year award.

Currently in the top 20 of overall coaches votes.

Close to breaking Dusty's record for most broken tackles in a season.

Defence key position stocks is a tough one. De Koning has struggled for fitness and form comparative to last season. Have enjoyed Nick Murray's year, but is selecting him for team balance the right thing to do for an 'award' like this?
How would Murray upset the balance of the team? There aren’t many young kpd’s who have been better than him

Only one North player made the squad. For a team that's been bottom 4 the last 4 years that's horrid. What a mess.

Not watched North games? Say yessssssss....

Wardlaw is an extreme talent. Would take him in a heartbeat over all except Daicos, Sheez, Gulden, Warner and the saints pair.

Lots of midfield competition

2023-AFL-22Under22-Squad.jpg

That midfield…

You shunt Daicos to a back flank for the purposes of giving more mids a spot.

If there’s what, 6-7 spots? At least 4 of Ashcroft, Martin, Serong, Anderson, Rowell, Green, Day, Newcombe, JHF, Gulden & Warner miss out.

While likely there’s 4 marking forwards in the side.

I’m all for trying to pick a “balanced” side, but you can’t limit midfield spots and then expect only 2 smalls up forward to be picked.

One of JHF or Newcombe should be able to be picked on a flank.

That midfield…

You shunt Daicos to a back flank for the purposes of giving more mids a spot.

If there’s what, 6-7 spots? At least 4 of Ashcroft, Martin, Serong, Anderson, Rowell, Green, Day, Newcombe, JHF, Gulden & Warner miss out.

While likely there’s 4 marking forwards in the side.

I’m all for trying to pick a “balanced” side, but you can’t limit midfield spots and then expect only 2 smalls up forward to be picked.

One of JHF or Newcombe should be able to be picked on a flank.
I don’t disagree. Looking at last teams though, it seems only players picked in the front six need to be either forwards or dual position including forward. Last year Rozee made it into a flank but he was dual position. I’m not sure how many minutes he actually played forward though.

I think Will Day makes the team as well but I'm not sure at who's expense. Going to be a couple players who are pretty stiff to miss out.
Again biased, but I think Day replaces Warner. Things Warner does, Day can do and more. Hawthorn very off Broadway this year so many probably haven't seen much of him. Can't think of our last free to air game.
Yesterday, Day out-Bonted the Bont for three quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t disagree. Looking at last teams though, it seems only players picked in the front six need to be either forwards or dual position including forward. Last year Rozee made it into a flank but he was dual position. I’m not sure how many minutes he actually played forward though.

11 goals got Bont a HFF spot in the AA team.

Newcombe has 11 goals. JHF only has 14 and Newcombe has been far better.

Rachele has 18 goals so also hasnt set the game on fire.

Again biased, but I think Day replaces Warner. Things Warner does, Day can do and more. Hawthorn very off Broadway this year so many probably haven't seen much of him. Can't think of our last free to air game.
Yesterday, Day out-Bonted the Bont for three quarters.
Warner has been down this year compared to last year, so he could be the unlucky one.

was this not the team that Shai Bolton did not make ?

I think the year after he was top 5 in the whole league

Must be the same selectors as the AA team

Let me guess there are a heaps of cats players right ?

Fan voted award numbnuts.

Richmond don't have any good young players, so no surprise they're few and far between in this shortlist.

SDK and Murray the only KPD's in the shorlist, with Kemp a Third Tall.

Just shows how difficult it is for young KPD's to make an impact .
Kemp actually plays as the second KPD. Albeit undersized. He does have an anti gravity leap though.

McGovern and Marchbank play the 3rd tall/interceptor.

Kemp at CBH should be lock because he plays for the team I support and watch him more than the others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back