Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Going into the 2017 finals series, Josh and Nank were the only two Richmond players who had the experience of playing in a winning final.
Like Dimma said at the outset of 2010, he predicted Richmond's Transformation.

Was a key ingredient in us finally becoming an 'unsociable', tough as nails, feared to play against side. So many moments over the first two flag seasons where he was the bloke crashing bodies and turning games. Set the tone in the 2017 GF and we never looked back.

Hope retirement goes well for you Cads, thanks for so many great memories.

Tiger immortal.

Josh-Caddy.jpg

cd106bb06c6806cf9925a0e32bd474af

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F1cdc091c-c5ed-40a0-b7db-feb21976c806

Josh_Caddy.jpg

Other-josh-caddy1-20180330-115653-750x500.jpg

The irony of that is that during the battle to secure Lynch one of the aces we had up our sleeve was having his two former Gold Coast teammates Prestia and Caddy. I know Prestia played a role helping to convince Lynch, as for Caddy how much I am not so sure. Just saying if he did play an active role I wonder how much he took into account that Lynch at Tigerland might be compromising his place in the team. Anyhow still grateful for his role in two premierships and wish him all the best in retirement.
AFL_Photos_Resize_Template.png 0699fdc0b296f3bde0a114a7c5666deb.jpeg
Nothing I can add about Josh that hasn't been said already. Lots of wonderful posts here. Will always be fondly remembered by thousands of happy Tiger fans as an absolute Richmond legend!

When I think of Caddy I think of a very competent and well rounded player who could equally compete on the ground or in the air, with skill or physical presence.

Well done for retiring at this point too as it is obvious now we have our eyes on someone in the mid season draft.

My cash is on Lefau but it could be anyone really.

Here's to Josh Caddy, left perennial contender Geelong to come to 13th placed Richmond and walks away 6 years later with 2 premiership medals, while Geelong have well umm none.

Hall Of Fame Game GIF

Great size and athleticism with real potential for a ton of upside once inside an AFL program.

Not likely to contribute much in the short term, but I'd love to see us take a punt on him.

Sadly just checked and Lefau is ineligible for the MSD, but I think there is a real chance we collect him in the end of season drafts.

So we clearly have our eyes on another player. From past RFC conduct in the MSD you would think it would likely be someone who can impact this season, unless they have spotted a longer term prospect they really fancy.

Will be intriguing this.

Sadly just checked and Lefau is ineligible for the MSD, but I think there is a real chance we collect him in the end of season drafts.

So we clearly have our eyes on another player. From past RFC conduct in the MSD you would think it would likely be someone who can impact this season, unless they have spotted a longer term prospect they really fancy.

Will be intriguing this.

Yeah, bummer, need to have nominated for a past draft, right?

If we can jag a Newcombe type that'd be handy, otherwise I guess biggest immediate opening is a hard running small forward. May be the year we take a project player if injuries stay at the current manageable level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ironic that Caddy retires the weekend that Deledio, who we effectively got Caddy for, is the Homecoming Hero

We essentially got Balta and CCJ for Deledio. Neat trick.

We got Prestia, Caddy and Graham for picks 7, 38 and 64.

Prestia for pick 7 and an upgrade from 38(used by Eagles on Petrucelle) to 26.

We traded 26(used by Cats on Parfitt) for Caddy and an upgrade from 64(used by Cats on Narkle) to 53

We used 53 to acquire JGTI.

Grand larceny by us really. 😁

In all of that we probably got Caddy for around the value of pick 29. Nobody can say he wasn’t worth more than that in hindsight.

Last edited:
In the early 80’s Richmond went from being a feared, aggressive, skilled and tough team to an introverted, passive and mostly poorly skilled team.
Even our better players had little mongrel in them.
Trent Cotchin against Hawthorn started to generate some mongrel back into our play but the recruitment of Josh Caddy, Toby Nankervis and the development of Nathan Broad to join Cotch gave us genuine hurt factor, all highly skilled as well.
Well played Josh Caddy… always be a Richmond man.
For the genuine mongrel you can add Macintosh, Pickett and Stack. They all have slightly different ways of doing it. Caddy was obnoxious and mouthy. Nankervis doesn't say much, but glowers like a Viking berserker. Macintosh, Stack and Pickett don't look or sound aggressive; they just murder blokes as if it's part of the job - like the hitmen in Pulp Fiction. Cotchin of course is summed up by lines from John Lennon: "First you must learn how to smile as you kill/If you want to be like the folks on the hill."

Caddy had his limitations as a footballer. He was never able to star in the centre as he wanted. He was great as a forward but, as has been mentioned in this thread, the recruitment of Lynch made that role redundant. But he will forever be remembered as part of the recalibration of Richmond, from a soft team of underachievers, to the hardest team in the comp., a crucial element in what made this team great - winning finals.

Sacrificed a fair bit of personal ambition to help and make his team mates better. Thanks so much for the entertainment, onwards and upwards Josh.

We essentially got Balta and CCJ for Deledio. Neat trick.

We got Prestia, Caddy and Graham for picks 7, 38 and 64.

Prestia for pick 6 and an upgrade from 38(used by Eagles on Petrucelle) to 26.

We traded 26(used by Cats on Parfitt) for Caddy and an upgrade from 64(used by Cats on Narkle) to 53

In all of that we probably got Caddy for around the value of pick 29. Nobody can say he wasn’t worth more than that in hindsight.
And Tyronasaurus Vickery got us Bolton plus cap space.

How I miss 2017. It was such a fun year. Won a flag with 1 key forward & Griggy in the ruck.

Thanks for help breaking our drought Josh.

My favourite memory was that clip of him walking around the boundary line and someone said something to him for which he replied "* Geelong".

:tearsofjoy:

memes-risitas.gif

said he has been doing some VFL coaching and will stick around doing some part time coaching the rest of this year at least

loved him tearing up thinking about the GWS prelim crowd. will just about go down as the best ever tigs crowd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back