AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

8AFDDDE4-CF68-4361-A7C5-7A3BDCA73049.jpeg

Bloke is on tin legs and still works harder than 95% of the AFL.

His spot is there for the taking, you’ve just got to demonstrate you’re willing to take it off him.

View attachment 1954779

Bloke is on tin legs and still works harder than 95% of the AFL.

His spot is there for the taking, you’ve just got to demonstrate you’re willing to take it off him.
surely this is mostly a function of time on ground? he doesn't 'work harder' than anyone lol. he's never been near the top of our time trials. he mostly plods arounds for 2 hours racking up kilometres. i guess that's what makes a good footballer for us hey...

i suppose i shouldn't even bother given it's the 'tom scully medal' a player who virtually everyone agrees was mediocre. so what is the point of this stat?

At least he is not alone. I think we have around 10 whipping boys atm.
Name and rank top 10 whipping boys?

Hepp ain’t in my top 5…

My list (1. Being the biggest whipping boy):
1. Weiderman - recruited to play forward
2. Weiderman - trialled back
3. Hind - on the rise post elbow & port brain farts
4. Kelly - steady in 4
5. McGrath - dropped 6 places after first 3 games then jumped back up 2 after port
6. Hepple - felt that this being the Hepple thread, he should have been higher but go read the other threads
6.5 Sheil - mostly because of the deal
7. Tsatas - solid here at 7
8. Menzie - feel like the guys who don’t come with a price tag / high pick get some leeway
9. Jones - down 7 after last 2 weeks
10. Stringer - down but on the rise again

Honourable mention Parish.

Name and rank top 10 whipping boys?

Hepp ain’t in my top 5…

My list (1. Being the biggest whipping boy):
1. Weiderman - recruited to play forward
2. Weiderman - trialled back
3. Hind - on the rise post elbow & port brain farts
4. Kelly - steady in 4
5. McGrath - dropped 6 places after first 3 games then jumped back up 2 after port
6. Hepple - felt that this being the Hepple thread, he should have been higher but go read the other threads
6.5 Sheil - mostly because of the deal
7. Tsatas - solid here at 7
8. Menzie - feel like the guys who don’t come with a price tag / high pick get some leeway
9. Jones - down 7 after last 2 weeks
10. Stringer - down but on the rise again

Honourable mention Parish.

No Cox love?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surely this is mostly a function of time on ground? he doesn't 'work harder' than anyone lol. he's never been near the top of our time trials. he mostly plods arounds for 2 hours racking up kilometres. i guess that's what makes a good footballer for us hey...

i suppose i shouldn't even bother given it's the 'tom scully medal' a player who virtually everyone agrees was mediocre. so what is the point of this stat?

Would have thought that’s exactly the point. I would say even in his pomp before his legs left I would say strong runner, not super elite runner though.

Now it’s pure hard yakka, if it was a function of time on ground there would be plenty of footballers cruising past him but the harsh reality is that they are clearly not putting in like he does on a week to week basis.

Given this side’s issue is week to week baseline effort, you can certainly understand why he is getting picked.

As an aside. Most of the footballers in the screenshot above are high 80’s tog and into the 90’s, Heppell is at 86 and the ones at below 86 are the endurance superfreaks that break records and blow up GPS units, fair company for a bloke with spaghetti legs.

Would have thought that’s exactly the point. I would say even in his pomp before his legs left I would say strong runner, not super elite runner though.

Now it’s pure hard yakka, if it was a function of time on ground there would be plenty of footballers cruising past him but the harsh reality is that they are clearly not putting in like he does on a week to week basis.

Given this side’s issue is week to week baseline effort, you can certainly understand why he is getting picked.

As an aside. Most of the footballers in the screenshot above are high 80’s tog and into the 90’s, Heppell is at 86 and the ones at below 86 are the endurance superfreaks that break records and blow up GPS units, fair company for a bloke with spaghetti legs.

Heppell isn't (and never has been) fast, but he just keeps going. People underestimate how hard he's working because they remember the times he's been caught lagging behind an opposition forward.

Has always had a great read of the play and can put together decent games when our midfield isn't allowing rapid, unpressured entries into the D50. When you get a game like Port the other night it's pretty hard for any defender to set up properly, and if you're lacking the leg speed to play catchup, you'll be run off a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back